JohanWagener

Default Do I toss this away or upgrade it?

Its not the age of the unit thats bothering me. Its a warfedale! And the low
output (40W per channel) So you think it would be best to buy an amp and
speakers first?

Sanitarium

Ive never heard of that brand before. BUT that doesn't mean its not any
good. I DO know one thing for certain, firing front speakers down to
your feet will NOT provide the sound stage / imaging and treble response
youre after. So... yes I think an amp/speaker upgrade would give you
more bang for the buck than a head unit upgrade.

BUT... you HAVE to remount those front speakers, to the kick panel or
door. Tweeters mounted high on the doors would help things too.

I know exactly how your ststem is set up... My dads 4-runner had the
WORST imaging I had ever heard with the speakers mounted that way
beneath the dash. He was dead set against surface mounting polk
separates high up on the doors, but it was the only way. at the time
his system consisted of a Nak CD head, PPI 50x4 and a 75x2, Stillwater
subs and midbasses, and polk separates. So it was all high end stuff...
but it was going to waste with such a lousy front soundstage.

I really think your front speaker mounting location is the culprit, and
IMHO installing new front speakers in the factory under-dask location
will not help that much, maybe a little, but be prepared to be
under-whelmed.

Just my thoughts...
Garrett

JohanWagener wrote:

Its not the age of the unit thats bothering me. Its a warfedale! And the low
output (40W per channel) So you think it would be best to buy an amp and
speakers first?

Sanitarium

Johan.. please disregard my previous post... Got my replies confused...
Brain fart. DOH!!

But Yes I do think a speaker amp upgrade should come first on your list.

Garrett