mvs

Default Lexicon Omega vs. Digidesign Mbox

Any opionions on these two?

Lexicon Omega is newer, cheaper and more versitale. Is it better (I am
new to digital recording)? I use Windows XP.

Thanks, MVS
mvs

Why is it more versatile?

More channels and inputs.
Check at www.lexiconpro.com/Omega/index.asp
Rob Reedijk

mvs wrote:
Any opionions on these two?

Lexicon Omega is newer, cheaper and more versitale. Is it better (I am
new to digital recording)? I use Windows XP.

Thanks, MVS

Avoid!

Remember the Core II? DO NOT buy a Lexicon designed computer recording
system until it has had a few years on the market.

I have a Core II. I am quite happy with it, but I bought it for the
blow-out price and have it permanently frozen in time in Windows 98SE,
PII-300 running an ASIO application. So it works if I don't try to
change anything.

I sure feel sorry for the people who actually paid full price for one of
these.

Rob R.
DJ

I own a Core 32. It is clocked to my DAW and the PCI card sit in a separate
little dinosaur P350 and is being patched in as a standalone reverb. Reverb
works great. Drivers never did work. I know they make a wide range of
products, but I sort of doubt Lexicon's commitment to staying in the DAW or
recording game other than FX considering the competition and given their
track record. Remember the direct recording guitar amp fiasco?
Lexi makes nice FX..........FX!

"Rob Reedijk" wrote in message
mvs wrote:
Any opionions on these two?

Lexicon Omega is newer, cheaper and more versitale. Is it better (I am
new to digital recording)? I use Windows XP.

Thanks, MVS

Avoid!

Remember the Core II? DO NOT buy a Lexicon designed computer recording
system until it has had a few years on the market.

I have a Core II. I am quite happy with it, but I bought it for the
blow-out price and have it permanently frozen in time in Windows 98SE,
PII-300 running an ASIO application. So it works if I don't try to
change anything.

I sure feel sorry for the people who actually paid full price for one of
these.

Rob R.

Rob Reedijk

DJ wrote:
I own a Core 32. It is clocked to my DAW and the PCI card sit in a separate
little dinosaur P350 and is being patched in as a standalone reverb. Reverb
works great. Drivers never did work. I know they make a wide range of
products, but I sort of doubt Lexicon's commitment to staying in the DAW or
recording game other than FX considering the competition and given their
track record. Remember the direct recording guitar amp fiasco?

Are you talking about the Signature 284? Because it is actually a fantastic
amp! The thing that most people don't realize is that it does put out
about 5watts to stereo speakers. I have mine installed in the control
room with speaker wires running to a closet that contains a Roland JC120
that I just use for the speakers. I permanently leave a couple of Senn 421s
in place and I have a great little guitar recording set up. Anyway, it
sounds really good. I haven't used the direct outs much, and I thought they
were pretty underwhelming---maybe just a bit better than a Pod.

I think it failed because it was priced so high (okay, I got mine in
another blow-out deal). But the reason it is so expensive is that there
is a very well designed tube amp in there. In fact, Lexicon didn't even
design them. They are created by a Canadian amp guru.

Rob R.
kooz

mvs wrote:
Any opionions on these two?

Lexicon Omega is newer, cheaper and more versitale. Is it better (I am
new to digital recording)? I use Windows XP.

Thanks, MVS

Avoid!

Remember the Core II? DO NOT buy a Lexicon designed computer recording
system until it has had a few years on the market.

I have a Core II. I am quite happy with it, but I bought it for the
blow-out price and have it permanently frozen in time in Windows 98SE,
PII-300 running an ASIO application. So it works if I don't try to
change anything.

I sure feel sorry for the people who actually paid full price for one of
these.

Rob R.

I would shy away from any Lexi product that has a shiny full-page ad
in this month's MIX, but is under "legacy products" on the
Manufacturer's website...but maybe my eyes were foolin me when I
clicked the link. And my CoreII works just fine, thank you, but I use
it more like a mature person would drive their car to and from worship
on Sunday. -kooz
Garrett Cox

I think I would say it's less versitale. What are you going to run for
software the free software? The free software looked horrid. So you're
going to have to buy real software. Neuendo? The Mbox has the more or
less industry standard software (Protools) and also the mic preamps
built in are going to be usable. They Focusrite preamps. Which are
pretty good. You can use them and get good sound. I didn't find them
to have a ton of headroom but they sounded pretty nice. Yeah it's only
2 channels unless you get some digital device. You can always plugin
in a MiniMe and get more ins I believe. Which would totally rock.

And again... It's a lexicon. They make a great reverb. A friend of
mine was going to the "Evil Chain" to get an amp and an Mbox. I looked
at this thing (Omega). Opened the package. I have to say it looks
pretty cheap. So keep in mind if you the Omega you'll probably want
new software. Thats some money. And also probably going to want some
new preamps. Way more money.

Oh you get Bias Deck SE now I just checked the lexiconpro site. Deck
SE OOOWWWWWW nifty.

garrett

(mvs) wrote in message . com...
Any opionions on these two?

Lexicon Omega is newer, cheaper and more versitale. Is it better (I am
new to digital recording)? I use Windows XP.

Thanks, MVS

Tom Jancauskas

No they are not making windows versions of deck. There are 2 programs bundled
with the Omega, Pro tracks for windows, and Deck for mac.

What they don't tell you is that you reaaly NEED to run one of those programs
with the box to make it work properly - at least on the PC side.

Same thing if you want to use the reverb plug in that comes with it. It is
hooked into just this program & not accesible to others.

I found out the hard way as I was setting up a system for a friend of mine who
wanted to run Samplutude with the Omega - After several frustrating days of
trying to make it work, I told him to return it and get something else. He
bought the Tascam US-122 and it worked right out of the box.

Go figure....

Tom Jancauskas

In article
writes:

Oh you get Bias Deck SE now I just checked the lexiconpro site. Deck
SE OOOWWWWWW nifty.

new to digital recording)? I use Windows XP.

Is Bias making Windows products now? I haven't been paying attention
to them since they were Mac-only for as long as I was watching.

Mike Rivers

From: (Tom Jancauskas)

No they are not making windows versions of deck. There are 2 programs bundled
with the Omega, Pro tracks for windows, and Deck for mac.

What they don't tell you is that you reaaly NEED to run one of those programs
with the box to make it work properly - at least on the PC side.

There seems to be a lot of that going around. I suppose it has to do
with the bundling deal - the software manufacturers get a good price
on the software as long as it will only run with that product. While I
had the TASCAM US122 here for review, I loaded up the version of
Cubasis that was bundled with it. I didn't care for the program much
so I didn't use it in my evaluation of the hardware other than to
confirm that it ran and that it worked as expected, but I did noticed
that it also worked with the Digigram VX card and internal sound
hardware on my laptop, which is where I had the US122 connected.

I was doing some housekeeping the other day and decided that since the
review was now in print and the US122 safely back home, I'd uninstall
that Cubasis. Just for yucks, I clicked on its icon one more time and
got the "Please connect the US122 to your computer" message. Plonk!

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Garrett Cox

Sorry for the brain fart. When I was looking at the product I was
looking for the Macintosh software as my friend has a G4. But even
still... Pro Tracks? I think the point I was trying to make remains.

garrett

(Mike Rivers) wrote in message news:znr1071937645k@trad...
From:
(Tom Jancauskas)

No they are not making windows versions of deck. There are 2 programs bundled
with the Omega, Pro tracks for windows, and Deck for mac.

mvs

[...]

I agree. I also own the amp and it's fantastic. That's a reason why
I'm interested in Lexicon products. It looks like that a lot of guys
here have too many prejudices about Lexicon. Omega comes with some
software developed by Cakewalk (I don't care since I already have
Sonar).
mvs

I would shy away from any Lexi product that has a shiny full-page ad
in this month's MIX, but is under "legacy products" on the
Manufacturer's website...but maybe my eyes were foolin me when I
clicked the link. And my CoreII works just fine, thank you, but I use
it more like a mature person would drive their car to and from worship
on Sunday. -kooz

You are wrong. It's a brand new product, not a legacy one.

WillStG

(mvs)
I agree. I also own the amp and it's fantastic. That's a reason why
I'm interested in Lexicon products. It looks like that a lot of guys
here have too many prejudices about Lexicon

I don't think people here are prejudiced against Lexicon in general, they
have a lot of great products that are studio standards. But the "Lexicon
Studio"/Core, a previous attempt to make a Computer audio interface system
never worked properly, and they abandoned the product in that unstable state,
leaving a "Legacy" of nothing but bad experiences for everyone I have heard
from who tried to use the product. They shouldn't have left users with no
support for something they paid good money for until they at least got it
stable. With a certain level of users, that really hurt their reputation.

I think the Signature 284 is great little amp for the blow out money I
paid for it too, nice little stereo amp... But the original pricepoint was too
high for a digital company selling a tube product IMHO.

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Off the Morning Show! & sleepin' In... / Fox News