Trail Shredder

Default Installing Amp with Factory Stereo

Does anyone know if the stereo in an 03 Silverado has low level outputs to
be able to install an amp and a sub-woofer? Or anyother suggestions on
what to do to add an amp and sub and keep the factory head unit?

mayhemkrew

no they do not, really no factory radios do. You will need to use a line
level converter if using the factory radio.

"Trail Shredder" wrote in message
Does anyone know if the stereo in an 03 Silverado has low level outputs to
be able to install an amp and a sub-woofer? Or anyother suggestions on
what to do to add an amp and sub and keep the factory head unit?

Arne Kolstad

"mayhemkrew" wrote in message
no they do not, really no factory radios do. You will need to use a line
level converter if using the factory radio.

"Trail Shredder" wrote in message
Does anyone know if the stereo in an 03 Silverado has low level outputs

be able to install an amp and a sub-woofer? Or anyother suggestions

on
what to do to add an amp and sub and keep the factory head unit?

I (trying to get into car stereo after 15-20 years) have the same problem
with a new Honda with an integrated head unit. Converters used to give quite
noisy signals in the old days. I found at that time that investing in a high
quality set of speakers and amp with signals converted from the head unit's
speaker level, was a waste of money. I wonder if this is still may be the
case (hope not)?

---
Arne Kolstad

David

Most amps have a 'high-level' input that accepts speaker wires. This input
was made specifically for connection to radios that don't have RCA outputs.
There's no need buying an extra part if you don't need it. You shouldn't
notice a degraded sound quality of the LOC'ed signal since you're using the
amp to power subs.

You won't have to disconnect the factory speakers, just connect the
converter (or amp's high-level input) in parallel with them.

The rear speaker wires a
Brown: LR +
Yellow: LR -
Dk. Blue: RR +
Lt.Blue: RR -

Hope this info helps,
David
UnderTheDash.com

"Trail Shredder" wrote in message
So, would I splice into my existing speakers and hook up the converter

there
or would the subs have to replace my rear speakers?