Max Arwood

Default If you could only have

3 preamps in your studio. What would they be and why.
Max Arwood

Justin Ulysses Morse

Max Arwood wrote:

3 preamps in your studio. What would they be and why.
Max Arwood

1 and 2 would be a Great River.
3 would be this Gates PGM-4 I pulled out of a dumpster. It has 3
12AU7's in parallel pushing an output transformer the size of what you
find in a 50W guitar amp.

Why? Idunno. If you could only have three brands of beer to drink,
what would they be and why? Because I like them.

ulysses
Pooh Bear

Justin Ulysses Morse wrote:

Max Arwood wrote:

3 preamps in your studio. What would they be and why.
Max Arwood

1 and 2 would be a Great River.
3 would be this Gates PGM-4 I pulled out of a dumpster. It has 3
12AU7's in parallel pushing an output transformer the size of what you
find in a 50W guitar amp.

Why? Idunno. If you could only have three brands of beer to drink,
what would they be

Holsten, Carlsberg and Fullers ( London ).

and why? Because I like them.

Ditto.

Graham

Garthrr

In article , "Max Arwood"
writes:

3 preamps in your studio. What would they be and why.
Max Arwood

Great River for sure because I can totally count on them to handle and incoming
level, stay clean and add no noise.

Some sort of Neve or API for an "in your face" kind of sound.

Manley because it just sounds great on so many things, e.g. elec guitar and
drums.

**** If it was 4 preamps I would add a Grace Design because its clean like the
Great River but maybe even a little smoother in the highs. Good for acoustic
guitar, hand percussion etc. ****

As for beer it would be Bass Ale, Spaten and Negro Modelo.

Garth~

"I think the fact that music can come up a wire is a miracle."
Ed Cherney
Scott Dorsey

In article ,
Justin Ulysses Morse wrote:
Max Arwood wrote:

3 preamps in your studio. What would they be and why.
Max Arwood

1 and 2 would be a Great River.
3 would be this Gates PGM-4 I pulled out of a dumpster. It has 3
12AU7's in parallel pushing an output transformer the size of what you
find in a 50W guitar amp.

I'd take three of the 8-channel Millennia Media boxes, because that way
I'd have 24 channels...

Twist Turner

A Telefunken/Tab/Siemens V72, V77, V77b. Because they sound better than
every thing else I've heard. I"m sure a V76 wouldn't suck either.

Twist Turner
http://tinyurl.com/ul70

Mike Rivers

In article , "Max Arwood"
writes:

3 preamps in your studio. What would they be and why.

Since I almost always record more than three sources in a pass, I'd
want them to be at least dual-channel preamp, maybe even 8-channel
preamps. Does that change or violate the rules of your little game?

If "a preamp" could be considered a rack of similar modules, I'd go
for at least one, maybe two racks of API 212L's (that's 12 to a rack)
because they sound good on just about anything I record. Others might
be the Millenia Media 8-banger because it's so clean, and the
Cranesong Spider because it's a little different. Those should give me
enough channels and a little variety.

If you really meant 3 channels of mic preamp, well bless your heart.
In that case I'd probalby take a two-channel Great River MP2H because
I know it works and it's built so well it'll probably last longer
than I will. For the third channel, I'd take a Vipre becaue it's so
cool and I could have a lot of fun playing around with it. And if I
ever wrote a review of a microphone (something I hope never to have
to do) I can write "...and when I plugged it into my Vipre, it opened
up a whole new pallete of sounds."

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )
Roger W. Norman

"Max Arwood" wrote in message
. ..
3 preamps in your studio. What would they be and why.

Sorry, but it's a stupid question. Or at least it's a stupid question to
me. If all I have is one pre, obviously I'm doing one thing at a time. So
how is three that much different?

What kind of question is this? If I could only have three mic pres then I'd
have to be very careful on what I picked, but it would have to be determined
by what I do. If I do a lot of acoustic recording then the three different
mic pres would be based on the instrumentation I'd be working with and what
type of mic closet I had. If you're only doing yourself then why spend the
money on three mic pres when one will do, again, depending on the mic
closet.

I thought I'd been bringing up how to ask a question for years on this group
as well as years on Compuserve. Garbage in, garbage out. Why don't you
really get to the point? Tell us what you have, what you want, what you
have a budget for, and what you plan to do with it. Otherwise it's just an
inane question.

And yes, I realize that it sounds like I'm coming down on you. The fact is
that I AM coming down on you. Real world situations don't play out this
way. Learn what real world situations are and you'll have a much better
starting point for asking pertinent questions.

I mean, if I had three wishes for a desert island experience they'd probably
be for water, food and shelter, not a stack of 65 favorite albums I couldn't
play.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

Max Arwood

Kurt Albershardt

Mike Rivers wrote:

I mean, if I had three wishes for a desert island experience they'd probably
be for water, food and shelter, not a stack of 65 favorite albums I couldn't
play.

I'd take food, water, and . . . uh . . . I'm too old to think of who.

Does she hunt & fish?

Justin Ulysses Morse

Roger W. Norman wrote:

What kind of question is this? If I could only have three mic pres then I'd
have to be very careful on what I picked, but it would have to be determined
by what I do. If I do a lot of acoustic recording then the three different
mic pres would be based on the instrumentation I'd be working with and what
type of mic closet I had. If you're only doing yourself then why spend the
money on three mic pres when one will do, again, depending on the mic
closet.

But Roger, I think you KNOW what you record and what's in your mic
closet. So you're in a unique position to answer the question. What
would YOU choose?

ulysses
Rob Adelman

Scott Dorsey wrote:

I'd take three of the 8-channel Millennia Media boxes, because that way
I'd have 24 channels...

Having one of them myself, I would say you couldn't go wrong there. Or
maybe three 4-channel Hardy M1's. Twelve channels is probably plenty
anyway, especially since your only using 2 or 3 on the drums

-Rob

Max Arwood

Sorry, but it's a stupid question. Or at least it's a stupid question to
me. If all I have is one pre, obviously I'm doing one thing at a time. So
how is three that much different?

Yes it is a stupid question.

What kind of question is this? If I could only have three mic pres then

I'd
have to be very careful on what I picked, but it would have to be

determined
by what I do. If I do a lot of acoustic recording then the three different
mic pres would be based on the instrumentation I'd be working with and

what
type of mic closet I had. If you're only doing yourself then why spend the
money on three mic pres when one will do, again, depending on the mic
closet.

I meant 3 boxes could be 8 pres per box or 1 pre per box. Your choice.

I thought I'd been bringing up how to ask a question for years on this

group
as well as years on Compuserve. Garbage in, garbage out. Why don't you
really get to the point? Tell us what you have, what you want, what you
have a budget for, and what you plan to do with it. Otherwise it's just an
inane question.

Garbage to some may be treasure to others.

And yes, I realize that it sounds like I'm coming down on you. The fact is
that I AM coming down on you. Real world situations don't play out this
way. Learn what real world situations are and you'll have a much better
starting point for asking pertinent questions.

That's ok - it's certainly not the first - nor will it be the last.

I have gotten new insight from the responses so far.
Thanks anyway Roger
Max Arwood

Richard Kuschel

3 preamps in your studio. What would they be and why.
Max Arwood

Great River With Hank option (Transformers and all that)

Millenia media HV3 (Wire with Gain)

Peavey VMP-2 Because it sounds so good on bass and guitar. Not enough gain
though , for most ribbons.

Richard H. Kuschel