Lars

Default Multipattern microphone?

I'm in the market for a pair of multipattern microphones.

I will use them through a Sytek MPX-4aii preamp (with Burr-Browns).

These microphones should make female vocals sound like Deborah Harry,
and guitars/drums sound like Rancid on "...And Out Come the Wolves".

I am willing to spend $2000 for the pair (perhaps a little more).

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Patric D'Eimon

with unquestioned accuracy of thought, Lars replied:

I'm in the market for a pair of multipattern microphones.

I will use them through a Sytek MPX-4aii preamp (with Burr-Browns).

These microphones should make female vocals sound like Deborah Harry,
and guitars/drums sound like Rancid on "...And Out Come the Wolves".

I am willing to spend $2000 for the pair (perhaps a little more).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

This is going to be patently curt but if I don't do it someone else will.
The biggest part of that problem is finding a singer who sounds like Debby
Harry and a drummer that sounds like Rancid....etc. Once you have all that
together, including the room, the engineer, the medium, (tape/digi), the
monitoring etc... then I'd believe that any good signal chain would be
appropriate. Or better yet, find your own sound at that point.

Sorry about that. I think you'd get farther inquiring about acheiving a
sound with certain qualities (airiness, scooped/not scooped mids, presence
peak, flat, hyped) that you are looking for and then reference it to a
specific recording of Debby Harry's or Rancid's so some industious engineer
type could go listen and make a few learned suggestions.

Also, are you looking for a matched pair or does the question ask for
suggestions on 2 different mics. One for the female vocal and one (?) for
the drums? I don't think there will be one set of mics that will cover both
applications. In reality, the team recording both Rancid and Deborah Harry
probably had a room full of mics and probably a vintage board full of
terrific preamps. AND everything damned thing else ; - )

I'd say 2000 bucks would get you 1 great preamp and 1 good mic which would
put you on the road to discovering the best recording you can make with the
equipment you have.

Nathan Eldred

I don't know about making anyone sound like Debby Harry or Rancid, I
guess they would need similar voices. But, for $2000 for a pair of
multipattern microphones, nothing, again nothing can touch the ADK TT
tube mic. It's got a relatively neutral frequency curve (a small lift
up top, nothing extreme though), and relatively flat mids.

Nathan Eldred
http://www.atlasproaudio.com