xy

Default do you think this could be a good mastering speaker?

http://www.chesky.com/catalog/body_speakers.cfm

i like that they place a lot of importance on a sensitive and
natural-sounding midrange. plus chesky recordings can be pretty
mind-blowing, especially their light ensemble/light vocal stuff. so
it's coming from someone who has 'ears'.

i haven't heard them yet, but just curious what the r.a.p. cognoscenti
would think about something like this, at least in theory.

they're not $20,000. but they aren't some ratty $600 set either.
might be good for someone like me who has champagne taste but an
imported-beer budget.
P Stamler

I think it stands a good chance. They seem to touch a lot of important bases:
they're using good drivers, well-proven techniques, and seem to be taking care
about things like cabinet resonances. And they certainly have a reputation for
producing very nice recordings. If I was looking for new mastering speakers I'd
be inclined to at least give them a try.

Peace,
Paul
Kurt Albershardt

xy wrote:

http://www.chesky.com/catalog/body_speakers.cfm

I'd be interested to hear the Linkwitz Orion as well
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/orion_us.htm

xy

yeah, i'm curious about those too
Peter Larsen

xy wrote:

http://www.chesky.com/catalog/body_speakers.cfm

i like that they place a lot of importance on a sensitive and
natural-sounding midrange. plus chesky recordings can be pretty
mind-blowing, especially their light ensemble/light vocal stuff. so
it's coming from someone who has 'ears'.

i haven't heard them yet, but just curious what the r.a.p. cognoscenti
would think about something like this, at least in theory.

I don't want to comment directly. Generally speaking it is my impression
that having several setups is very helpful in terms of keeping you aware
of the colorations of each.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Scott Dorsey

xy wrote:
http://www.chesky.com/catalog/body_speakers.cfm

i like that they place a lot of importance on a sensitive and
natural-sounding midrange. plus chesky recordings can be pretty
mind-blowing, especially their light ensemble/light vocal stuff. so
it's coming from someone who has 'ears'.

i haven't heard them yet, but just curious what the r.a.p. cognoscenti
would think about something like this, at least in theory.

Maybe. What does it actually sound like?

The thing is that there are a lot of very clean sounding speakers even
in the high end, that all sound different.

they're not $20,000. but they aren't some ratty $600 set either.
might be good for someone like me who has champagne taste but an
imported-beer budget.

Personally, if I were you, and I had the room, I'd look at planars. But
that is just me, and I tend to like the more distant presentation from a good
planar system. But in a bad room they tend to fall apart totally.