JR

Default Meyer HD-1's?

I have worked with these monitors a long time ago..they seemed pretty
good. Now I am looking for good monitors to us as nice, accurate near
fields for recording and mixing. Opinions on these vs. Genelcs vs.
HR824's.

JR
Scott Dorsey

JR wrote:
I have worked with these monitors a long time ago..they seemed pretty
good. Now I am looking for good monitors to us as nice, accurate near
fields for recording and mixing. Opinions on these vs. Genelcs vs.
HR824's.

I always found the HD-1s to sound overprocessed, but you can hear what you
are doing. I don't think I'd want to listen to them all day long, but I
can get a good mix on them.

I think the HR824s are great for the money. I don't like the top end on
them, but I can live with it, and again, you can hear what you are doing.

The Genelec stuff is all over the place. They are all voiced differently.
The 1030 and 1031 sound like totally different designs. The S30 (which is
my favorite of the set) is nothing even remotely like either one, and has
a great midrange. The 1029 is constricted and nasal and I can't understand
anyone even trying to mix on it.

All totally different.

ar3a

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
JR wrote:
[...]

I have the 1029 with sub and I really like them. I can always hear what's
happening on them. To each his own I guess...
BTW, I've used the HD-1's and they sound great...did some very true mixes on
those.

Kurt Albershardt

umbriaco wrote:

I'd look at the JBL LSR-6328 or ProAC 100 w/ Bryston 4B before using G or M

Hadn't heard of them so I went looking. Seems to be the follow-on to
the well-regarded LSR28P http://www.jblpro.com/LSR/LSR6300_index.htm

Roni Jules

JR wrote in message ...
I have worked with these monitors a long time ago..they seemed pretty
good. Now I am looking for good monitors to us as nice, accurate near
fields for recording and mixing. Opinions on these vs. Genelcs vs.
HR824's.

JR

How about the Dynaudio BM15. Not in the same league as the HD-1 but to
my ear they come close; neutral/un-hyped when pushed hard and easy to
work with for long periods. The HD-1s are not so forgiving over long
listening periods.
tony espinoza

JR wrote in message ...
I have worked with these monitors a long time ago..they seemed pretty
good. Now I am looking for good monitors to us as nice, accurate near
fields for recording and mixing. Opinions on these vs. Genelcs vs.
HR824's.

JR

Hi,
We've had a bunch of experience with some of these across about a
dozen engineers and also looked at them with the Meyer SIM system in
my particular control room. Here's what I remember:

* HD1's are probably the most processed sounding. Surprisingly fat
and accurate bottom (down to 47 Hz in this room). Imaging was
pinpoint accurate. great for understanding details. However, I think
of them as "forensic" speakers. You aren't going to find many
speakers in the consumer world that sound like this. They might be
okay for mixing jazz or otherwise very natural sounding stuff but most
engineers i know (myself inclluded) find them inappropriate for mixing
pop, rock, rap, etc. Paul stubblebine down the road uses them for
mastering and i think that's a fine use for them. The problem with
mixing pop, rock, etc on them is that the mixes don't tend to
translate very well. Most mixes sound pretty interesting on them!

* The only Genelecs we've dealt with are the 1031's and the 1030's.
As someone else said, these are indeed completely different sounding
speakers. I found the 31's to be hard to listen to for long periods
of time. Imaging is nice, but they definitely have that kinda hi-fi
scooped sound. The 30's seem less scooped to me. I know a few guys
who use either the 30's or 31's in conjunction with other speakers and
get good mixes in the pop, rock, rap arenas. Our tech's hate the
Genelecs because they say they aren't made very well (but then I don't
recall what their specific issues are). Neither of these models get
much bass, so you'll probably need a sub unless you've got some decent
in-walls for checking the bottom.

* We have a pair of the Mackies here for one very established engineer
that loves them. However, the rest of us have had little luck mixing
on them. They were the least accurate of the models we tested (on the
Meyer SIM system). The bass is pretty hyped and the upper mids and
top are pretty unreliable in terms of translation to other systems.
These definitely don't sound as hyped as the Genelecs, but somehow
they are still too flattering for my taste for mixing pop, rock, etc.

* We've got a few pairs of the biamped Dynaudio BM15A's. They are an
interesting blend of the systems above. Closest in accuracy to the
Meyer HD-1's without being quite as processed sounding. They offer
much more bottom than the Genelec's without a sub. They have also
become something of a standard that a set of us in the Bay Area have
become familiar with. That said, I can not mix on the Dynaudio's
alone. I find it's too hard to sort out the midrange for balance
(which is what I use highly over-powered NS10's for). With the hi-fi
near fields I almost always get distracted by too many less important
details. The little NS10's help me prioritize. Also, like other
accurate speakers (HD1's) the BM15A's tend to discguise harshness as
"detail" so I find them a little tricky for rock.

You should obviously try a bunch of speakers and see which one's
"speak" to you. Unless you're doing mastering or post-production, I
highly recommend augmenting the hi-fi near fields with something like
the NS10's for balance and overall mix decisions. It's way too easy
to get lazy with the pretty sounding speakers.

Joe Chiccarelli will be up mixing a new Bay Area artist next week and
Tannoy is sending out a set of those new space-age looking Tannoy's.
If you're interested in hearing about how it goes, send me an email
and I'll keep you up to date.

-tE

Tony Espinoza
--------------------------------------
SAN FRANCISCO SOUNDWORKS
http//: www.sfsoundworks.com
415.503.1110 vox
* The SSL 9000J room in San Francisco

Bob Vandiver

Uh, Tony, you spent a fair amount of bandwidth sayint what you don't
like, not one thing about what you do like....

Bob Vandiver
Chris Seifert

I think most good engineers can learn how to mix on any system if
given enough time to create a few mixes and review them on other
systems that are familiar. That being said, since I became a
freelancer over a 1 1/2 years ago I've gotten to work alot on various
systems and my thoughts are...

Genelecs 1031's- Were very flattering to the mix making most
everything sound gorgoes but made me work extra hard to create mixes
that I felt translated well.

Mackie Hr824's- Seemed to be voiced after the Genelecs but at a budget
price point. Clients loved the low end I never felt like I could trust
them as a reference monitor but I enjoyed hearing music played on
them.

Meyer HD1's- Still processed sounding and limiters seem to constrict
the volume as others have noted but overall they seemed more accurate
and easier to work on than the Genelecs or Mackies.

Dynayaudi to me are what I would plop cash down on if I were buying
these days and in the bay area they seem to be everywhere. There must
be a Happy Dynaudio rep somewhere in the Northern California area
because I nevers saw Dynaudio's nearly as much anywhere else as i have
out here. I love the balance of neutral but a touch of spcie that the
Dynaudio's seem to deliver.

And finally, I got to throw a shout out for my current old faithfull
KRKV8's. I love em and know and trust em. Some say they are a little
lite on the bass but to me there is enough there to work with.

Again, I think you can learn to mix on anything but as a freelancer I
sure like seeing all the Dynaudio systems around these parts.

best,
Chris
wavetrap