normanstrong

Default Looking for a new field recording setup

I need a recording setup that makes excellent digital recordings when
far from the power line. These are the requirements:

1. 6 hours of continuous recording time.

2. Must be small enough to mount on the legs of the mike stand.

3. One piece stereo mike. The mike will never be more than 18' from
the recorder, so balanced operation is not necessary.

4. Total price of mike and recorder to be under $700.

A device like the Sony PCM-M1 would be perfect, if it weren't a DAT
recorder. IOW, I need a device like the M1 that uses a hard disc and
works for 6 hours.

Any recommendations or alternative suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Cheers, and a Merry Xmas,

Norm Strong

Mike Rivers

In article gV3Ab.33095$_M.140857@attbi_s54 writes:

I need a recording setup that makes excellent digital recordings when
far from the power line. These are the requirements:

We're all looking for the same thing, and unfortunately it's not here
yet. There's another thread on rec.audio.pro about this sort of
recorder.

1. 6 hours of continuous recording time.
2. Must be small enough to mount on the legs of the mike stand.

How do you mount something on the legs of a mic stand? And why? Are
you thinking of a spring clip that would hold it to one of the legs of
a tripod stand? Could you mount the recorder on one leg, a mic preamp
on another leg, and a battery pack on the third leg?

3. One piece stereo mike. The mike will never be more than 18' from
the recorder, so balanced operation is not necessary.

This is probably the easiest part of your problem. The Audio Technicha
AT822 seems to be a favorite in this price class. I'm not sure that it
comes with that long a cable, nor why you think that 18 feet is some
reason not to require balanced inputs. If you're out in the woods with
no sources of interference, you could probably run 100 feet unbalanced
without any problems. If you set up your system in the window of a
bar to record the band and there was a flashing neon beer sign in the
window, you'd have a hard time running five feet of balanced mic cable
without interference.

4. Total price of mike and recorder to be under $700.

That's kind of pushing it with what's available to day. If you're
going to record really loud stuff, you could start with a Creative
Labs Nomad Jukebox 3, an AT822 mic, and a second battery (there's room
for two in the battery compartment). You might be able to get away
with using the Jukebox in the Mic recording mode. But I think it's far
too noise for anything I want to record, and it requires an external
preamp. That will bust your price, size, and power budget all in one
swell foop.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )