Chakaal The Indifferent

Default Volunteers sought for 'orgasmatron'

*Cross Posts removed*

In article ,
John Savard wrote:
On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 22:45:24 -0500, "clamnebula"
wrote, in part:

As predicted in Woody Allen's futuristic film 'Sleeper'!

Don't you mean Barbarella?

"I thought people would be beating my door down to take part in the trial,"
said Dr. Stuart Meloy, who placed radio and newspaper advertisements looking
for women to test the "orgasmatron" implant.

Well, there's nothing wrong with medicine finding a way to help women
with an impairment in achieving orgasm to derive more enjoyment from
their marriages.

Or whatever partnership they choose.

However, I am unsurprised by the relative lack of interest, or by the
doctor's surprise. This is a device for women.

What do women value?

We value the same things as men, but we've been told by our mom's that
liking sex is for bad girls.

The genuine love of their partners.

Sexual problems drive more wedges between partners than you want to think
about. Women are afraid to tell their honey-buns he doesn't "do it" for
them, but the wedge still gets in, and sometimes destroys them both.

The unconditional love of their own small children and infants.

No argument that we want that, but that's no gurantee it is recognized when
given. However, mostly irrelevant.

These are the things that it has been difficult for women to obtain,
and women who fail to obtain these either fail to reproduce, or
experience difficulty in raising children that survive to maturity.

Normally I'm fairly in favor of this kind of argument, but this kind of
selection has not been operating in the world until recently. Women have
only *had* this choice to make for a few generations at most and we're still
working out all that "good girl" conditioning. It is NOT difficult for a
woman to obtain true love of her partner or child. What is difficult is
getting past the hang ups to teach her partner how to please her physically.

It is men, not women, who find the physical side of love difficult to
obtain, and so it is in men, not women, that the desire for this is
sharpened by the fact that those who fail to make the effort required
to it are unrepresented genetically in the next generation.

Men are incented by the low cost of their reproductive efforts to make as
many attempts as possible with as many partners as possible. However, men
also want a stable relationship, preferably one they enjoy physically, but
have no conditioning against seeking one with good sex as a metric the way
women do.

Free Love didn't happen all *that* long ago - I'm in my mid-thirties and I
was told by my mom that sex was only fun once a month. Mom told me things
she thought would ensure I grew up a Good Girl. It turns out she wasn't
completely truthful about her own experienc, but how I know that isn't
anyone's business. But I completely disagree with the idea that women don't
think orgasm is important or desirable. Women who have orgasm have better
chances of pregnancy than those who do not, and not because they'll claim
fewer headaches than their anorgasmic sisters.

Social and religious conditioning adequately explains the reluctance of
women to come forward for treatment of sexual dysfunction. These factors
are waning somewhat, but will take a good long time to fade away.

If you have ever read a Romance novel, think for a moment how the entire
book, excpet for the last few pages, is all about the buildup of sexual
tension and anxiety between the main characters. In the end, boy and girl
get exactly what they both want, which is Blow Your Mind Sex in an
Acceptable Package. If women didn't care about orgasm they would *not* read
these books, a point I wish I'd thought to make to Mom while she was filling
my head with anti-sex rhetoric.

--Chak

John Savard

Mark Steven Brooks

As predicted in Woody Allen's futuristic film 'Sleeper'!

Don't you mean Barbarella?

No-Sleeper.
(Mark Steven Brooks/Elaterium Music)