Hallraker

Default What is the best way to secure a car?

"©N„ikuli, Willićm©" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
I've had my head-unit stolen twice in the past year. I don't even have a
fancy car or anything - its a 1991 accord. The first time, someone pried

the
card open by just forcing the window down, and then just unlocking the

card.

The second time, someone just smashed the window in - but there were like
3-4 other cars in the parking lot like that so it must've been a serial
crime and I was just unlucky.

Now what should I do to minimize the chances of this happening? I've been
told to get a head unit with detachable face (- though I've heard that

will
only make potential thieves tear your car apart as they search for the

face
which "must be somewhere in the car").

Is there a kind of alarm that is particularly good? One that is sensitive

someone tampering with the handle and/or window?

Also, is there a way to install the headunit in such a way that someone
wouldn't be able to just slide it out?

On my car, the head unit attaches to a metal rack inside the dash and is
screwed in place. In order to remove the head unit, you have to pull the
metal rack out rather than just sliding it out of a collar. Not a difficult
procedure, but time consuming, and one of my friends who *used* to steal car
stereos on the side told me that he only went for cars he knew would be
quick and easy. You could even try using some bizzarre fastener, I know one
person who foiled a stereo theft when the damn kid just gave up because he
didn't have an allen wrench.

I'm not impressed with alarms. They go off, and people just ignore them.
One of your best defenses is going to be stealth. I turn my stereo down as
I pull into parking lots, and there are no "appearance" modifications to the
outside of my car such as triple decker wings or cheesy racing stripes. I
also pull out my cup holder when I park, which on my car is located above
the radio. This blocks the radio and is EXTREMELY annoying while driving,
but it also prevents people from seeing exactly what kind of stereo I have.
Some people I've known drop the faceplate open so that it's hard to tell
whether you've got an Alpine or a Road Gear.

-Matt

Kevin McMurtrie

In article dcDOa.7041$GL4.2373@rwcrnsc53,
"Hallraker" wrote:

"©N„ikuli, Willićm©" wrote in message
arthlink.net...
[...]

Many "pro" installers use nothing but flimsy clips and gravity to
install a stereo. They come out easily.

I have my stuff securely bolted in with uncommon screw heads. It's not
theft proof, but it would take enough time for me to show up.
Onyi C. Ejiasa

One of the best ways to thwart theft is indeed stealth. Kenwood and Sony
both make decks that will hide themselves when turned off. Once closed, you
dash is flat black giving the appearance of no deck.

Yes, alarms do not have the kick they once did, but that is no reason not to
have one. If you scare off 1 person because they figure out you have an
alarm, that is one less person that will break into you car.

Keep in mind that alarms now have some really great features now. Extra high
decibel sirens for INSIDE you car, battery backup, etc. etc. Can you image
trying to steal someone's stereo while a 120+ db piezo siren is blaring in
your ear?

Take a look at window tints also. You could always keep a Doberman in you
car at all times.