Eli Mydlarz

Default Quick questions (regarding speakers and an amp)

I'm going to be getting 2 3-way speakers. One option is the 200 watt Sony
3-ways. If I do this I can afford to either get the Sony 4 channel amplifier
(2 x 80 watts RMS, bridged) or a Sansui 840 watt 4 channel amplifier (2 x
420 watts peak, no idea about RMS, bridged of course). Which of these
amplifiers would be a better deal?

Now, if going for the Sony speakers is a bad idea, my other option is
Kenwood 6 inch 150 watt 3-watts. Unfortunately, these cost a little more and
would require that I get a cheaper amplifier, specifically, an Altec 500
watt 4 channel amp (2x 250 watts peak, no idea about RMS, bridged of
course). Should I avoid Sony speakers and go this way?

In case you were wondering, I'm only looking at 4 channel amps because I may
add a sub at some point.

Adam B******

Well for this point of time i would suggest that you buy a 2 channel amp and
the speakers of your choice as i havent seen many 4 channel amps that will
give u 3 channels - your 2 speakers and a sub...

so later on you would most likely have to buy another amp to power the sub.

"Eli Mydlarz" wrote in message
u...
[...]

Eli Mydlarz

I don't have a sub now, but when I add one in the future I plan on just
bridging channels 3 and 4 and using them to power the sub, with channels 1
and 2 powering a speaker each.

"Adam B******" wrote in message
u...
[...]

Sanitarium

Speakers are a VERY subjective thing. What looks good on paper and in
reviews may sound terrible to your ears, in your car, and what sounds
good to me may sound terrible to you.

The best speaker advice anyone can give you is to listen to them all
yourself and form an oppinion. Let your ears guide you and tell you
what is the best for the $$$.

As for RMS wattage... Good you've already realized the MAX power
ratings are completely useless.

Take the amps fuse rating multiply that times 12.4 Volts. Take that
number and multiply it by .35. This will give you a ballpark RMS TOTAL
wattage output at 12.4V. Don't forget to divide that evenly into all
the amp channels. I'm making the assumption that most car audio amps
are 35% efficient. The effiency varies greatly though from amp to amp.

Example:
Pyramid Super Bass Thump amp says "200x2 Watts max"
It has a single 25A fuse

25A x 12.4V = 310 Watts

310 Watts x .35 = 108.5 Watts

108.5 Watts / 2 channels = 54 Watts/channel

I'm sure there are better ways to approximate RMS wattage output...???

Later,
Garrett

Eli Mydlarz wrote:

I'm going to be getting 2 3-way speakers. One option is the 200 watt Sony
3-ways. If I do this I can afford to either get the Sony 4 channel amplifier
(2 x 80 watts RMS, bridged) or a Sansui 840 watt 4 channel amplifier (2 x
420 watts peak, no idea about RMS, bridged of course). Which of these
amplifiers would be a better deal?

Now, if going for the Sony speakers is a bad idea, my other option is
Kenwood 6 inch 150 watt 3-watts. Unfortunately, these cost a little more and
would require that I get a cheaper amplifier, specifically, an Altec 500
watt 4 channel amp (2x 250 watts peak, no idea about RMS, bridged of
course). Should I avoid Sony speakers and go this way?

In case you were wondering, I'm only looking at 4 channel amps because I may
add a sub at some point.

Bose 901 Review William Sommerwerck General 149 January 8th 05 04:49 PM
Outdoor Speakers MarkW General 1 May 19th 04 05:42 PM
do 16 ohm speakers exist? (for home use) General 9 January 7th 04 05:46 AM
Remote speakers? L-pads? Totally confused! Hogarth General 3 July 3rd 03 02:06 PM
Ford Escort Speakers? Gravity Car Audio 0 July 1st 03 01:41 AM