Brothermark

Default Recording Feedback please

Please help me out here. Recording has now finished and I'm in the final
stages of mixing before I make a HUGE push to get this song onto every
student's hard drive (in the UK at least)

I've got 2 version for you to listen to:

WITH "DRUMS"
http://www.bedroomtalent.com/tunes/s...lent-drums.mp3

WITHOUT "DRUMS"
http://www.bedroomtalent.com/tunes/s...nt-nodrums.mp3

Please let me know what you think.
I haven't manipulated any of the track files. No reverb, no compression etc.
Just pannning and volume. So if you can think of anything that would enhance
the recording/production, please let me know.

To put this song in context, around 30,000 students marched through London
last week (I think) objecting to the government's plans to increase
university tuition fees. Many Labour MPs object to this proposal but Tony is
pushing through, it is thought he could lose his job over this issue. So
it's a big issue.

I've emailed the student campaign leader to see if they want to hear my song
and maybe use it in their campaign. Anyway, thanks for any feedback

later

Brothermark

note:
Those mp3s are 128kb stereo which means (I think) that's there's only 64kb
of quality in each ear. Sorry about that, I was expecting it to be 128 in
each ear.

Jan Saalbach

Brothermark wrote:
Those mp3s are 128kb stereo which means (I think) that's there's only 64kb
of quality in each ear.

sure?

as far as the song is concerned. there is quite a bit of clipping/distortion
when the "choir" comes in. at 1:46 and from then on...
apart from that, nice recording.

Graham Payne

I remember your last tune "Mrs. Nobody" which I liked very much (still have
a copy).

I like the vocals, at about 1:40 the larger vocal section starts and buries
the instrumentation a bit. Other than that I thought the sound was great,
nice and clear. Vocals harmonize nicely, I like the "drums" too...

Thanks
-=gp=-

"Brothermark" wrote in message
[...]

Brothermark

Jan Saalbach wrote:

as far as the song is concerned. there is quite a bit of
clipping/distortion when the "choir" comes in. at 1:46 and from then
on...
apart from that, nice recording.

Thanks for that. I'll address the clipping

Brothermark

Graham Payne wrote:
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention the song I listened to
"Soap-n-Bubbles".

thanks for your comments Graham.
You have a great memory to connect me with Mrs Nobody !!!

Ben Bradley

In alt.music.4-track,alt.music.home-studio,rec.audio.pro,
"Brothermark" wrote:

Please help me out here. Recording has now finished and I'm in the final
stages of mixing before I make a HUGE push to get this song onto every
student's hard drive (in the UK at least)

I've got 2 version for you to listen to:

WITH "DRUMS"
http://www.bedroomtalent.com/tunes/s...lent-drums.mp3

WITHOUT "DRUMS"
http://www.bedroomtalent.com/tunes/s...nt-nodrums.mp3

Please let me know what you think.
I haven't manipulated any of the track files. No reverb, no compression etc.
Just pannning and volume. So if you can think of anything that would enhance
the recording/production, please let me know.

Firstly, have the music start within a second (or even less than a
half second) after the MP3 file starts playing. The no-drums one
starts at about 5 1/2 seconds, and when I don't hear anything I always
wonder if my computer's broke. The other one starts at about 1 1/2
seconds, but you at least clear your throat first, so I know there's
something playing...

I'm listening with headphones, and even though the guitars are
tightly played together, it sounds a bit like one guitar bouncing back
and forth between left and right, depending in which one is sounding
the current note the loudest. It would help if they panned at like 9
(o'clock) and 3, or 10 and 2, rather than hard left and hard right.
The hard panning seems to work well for the vocals, though.
There seems to be a third guitar/instrument in there, playing along
with the first two, but this one has tremelo or something. It makes
the other two guitars sound bad, like they were recorded in a room
with a ceiling fan running on high, or through a Leslie. Please do
something else with that or take it out altogether.
Why do the guitars go mono for that one chord at 37-38 seconds???
You've got that habit of changing panning at certain musical moments,
I guess that's good sometimes, but it can become disconcerting too.

Not only do I remember the hit single "Mrs. Nobody" from the last
AM4T comp and a few alternative versions posted/discussed on AM4T, I
found an earlier mp3 recording of "Soap 'n' bubbles" from when you
apparently posted it a little over a year ago. I remembered the song
from the guitar riff.
Hard drives are large and cheap enough now that I rarely if ever
delete anything, even .wav files from CD or LP, and can relive more
and more musical memories with just the click of a mouse.

To put this song in context, around 30,000 students marched through London
last week (I think) objecting to the government's plans to increase
university tuition fees. Many Labour MPs object to this proposal but Tony is
pushing through, it is thought he could lose his job over this issue. So
it's a big issue.

I've emailed the student campaign leader to see if they want to hear my song
and maybe use it in their campaign. Anyway, thanks for any feedback

later

"damn politicians..."

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
Brothermark

Firstly, have the music start within a second

Yep I've sorted that now. thanks.
This recording wasn't the final version so the start and end points had yet
to be cropped.

It would help if the [guitars] panned at like 9
(o'clock) and 3, or 10 and 2, rather than hard left and hard right.

good call

There seems to be a third guitar/instrument in there, playing along
with the first two, but this one has tremelo or something. It makes
the other two guitars sound bad, like they were recorded in a room
with a ceiling fan running on high, or through a Leslie. Please do
something else with that or take it out altogether.

I don't hear a problem. You are right that more guitar parts do come in.
There are the original 2 panned finger-plucked parts and then at verse 2,
another 2 panned guitars come in with a strumming pattern. But I don't
follow about the ceiling fan idea. I'm quite pleased with house those
guitars sound.

Why do the guitars go mono for that one chord at 37-38 seconds???

That's a cop-out during recording. I was having trouble playing that chord
change smoothly do I just dumped it in later and I obviously haven't matched
the panning of what went before. Well spotted.

You've got that habit of changing panning at certain musical moments,
I guess that's good sometimes, but it can become disconcerting too.

The guitar panning is consistent throughout (except what you found above)
and I think the only panning is for the backing vox and for the final chorus
vox

Not only do I remember the hit single "Mrs. Nobody" from the last
AM4T comp and a few alternative versions posted/discussed on AM4T, I
found an earlier mp3 recording of "Soap 'n' bubbles" from when you
apparently posted it a little over a year ago. I remembered the song
from the guitar riff.

Great memory you have there. What system do you use for archiving mp3s? I
presume you have a "amateur" or "4-track" folder or something?

"damn politicians..."

Strangely enough I don't really have a political opinion about this whole
tuition thing. I haven't sat down and thought about it really. I've got a
fat lone hanging over me but that's fair enough really, I'm not complaining
but I was lucky enough not to have to get a job cos my parents helped me
out. It's true that I didn't really wash with soap or bubbles whilst at uni
but that was just due to laziness, not lack of money really.

thanks Ben

Mike

[...]

Try this. Set output to studio monitors. Hook up mic with higyh gain
right in front of them.

Nyuk Nyuk. Couldn't resist.

Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com

Brothermark

Try this. Set output to studio monitors. Hook up mic with higyh gain
right in front of them.

No time tonight but I'll try that tomorrow.
Is that for vocals? or the guitars? or both?

Brothermark

George Perfect wrote:

Try this. Set output to studio monitors. Hook up mic with higyh gain
right in front of them.

No time tonight but I'll try that tomorrow.
Is that for vocals? or the guitars? or both?

Mark - that was a pun on the word 'feedback', I think you'll find

George, my dry whit is often missed....especially online.
I was just playing along

uss

that's a real cool tune you've got there. bravo.
i dig it. you may or may not want a touch of
plate on the vox. it sounds nice as is for sure.
what i would do is add a little reverb to the
vox and see which mix you like best. there
are some issues that need addressing such
as the choir level and such, but you've gotten
plenty of good advice on that already. keep
up the good work, and nice guitar playing.

rich

Graham Payne

Graham Payne wrote:
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention the song I listened to
"Soap-n-Bubbles".

thanks for your comments Graham.
You have a great memory to connect me with Mrs Nobody !!!

I remember a voice, you have one that leaves an impression...

-=gp=-

Mike

George Perfect wrote:

Try this. Set output to studio monitors. Hook up mic with higyh gain
right in front of them.

No time tonight but I'll try that tomorrow.
Is that for vocals? or the guitars? or both?

Mark - that was a pun on the word 'feedback', I think you'll find

George, my dry whit is often missed....especially online.
I was just playing along

I got it. Good retort))

Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com
amnesiac jimmy

Hey up there!

Well this is a little beauty of a song. If you want a bass adding at any point...

Melody very memorable. Grabs you.

Love the build at the end with all the voices.

Clear production. Doesnt go on too long. What more can I say?

Most excellent! On 3rd listen now. Keep em comin!!!!!!!!

Dave in Leeds
Brothermark

Most excellent! On 3rd listen now. Keep em comin!!!!!!!!

Ha, thanks Dave
I love it well people react like that.
Tell your friends, send some emails out
Trouble is, it's not been mixed yet so don't tell too many people.

Actually, here's a version with improved levels and mp3 bitrate, just for
you
Here is the URL:

http://www.bedroomtalent.com/tunes/s...nt-320kbps.mp3

If you prefer to click a link to access the mp3, see he

http://www.livejournal.com/users/bedroomtalent/

Ben Bradley

"Brothermark" wrote:

There seems to be a third guitar/instrument in there, playing along
with the first two, but this one has tremelo or something. It makes
the other two guitars sound bad, like they were recorded in a room
with a ceiling fan running on high, or through a Leslie. Please do
something else with that or take it out altogether.

I don't hear a problem. You are right that more guitar parts do come in.
There are the original 2 panned finger-plucked parts and then at verse 2,
another 2 panned guitars come in with a strumming pattern. But I don't
follow about the ceiling fan idea. I'm quite pleased with house those
guitars sound.

Listening again, I can hear it as you've described on the no-drums
version, but listening to the "drums" one again, what I heard before
is definitely there. I hadn't noticed this before, but this
tremelo-like effect corresponds to your vocal "hi-hat" sound - the
tshhh's probably take up too much bandwidth at 128k, and there's
hardly enough left for the guitar. It sounds sort of like bad tape
dropout. It sounds about the same played with winamp or with Cool Edit
2000, so I'm reasonably sure the problem is with the mp3 encoding. The
problem is really audible at between 7 and 12 seconds into the (drums)
file, where you're not singing, but you have the tss's going along
with the guitars.
Listen to the soap-n-bubbles-bedroomtalent-drums.mp3 file and
compare it to the nodrums one, or especially the 320k one you just
posted - this problem is NOT present on either of those.

Comparing these one more time, the turned-down vocal chorus on the
320k mix doesn't seem to have as much dynamics and 'energy' as the the
ones where the vocals are clipping... could it be the stuff on the
radio is making me get used to clipping? or is it that the extra
volume in the chorus feels like the upper part of Real Dynamic Range?

You've got that habit of changing panning at certain musical moments,
I guess that's good sometimes, but it can become disconcerting too.

The guitar panning is consistent throughout (except what you found above)
and I think the only panning is for the backing vox and for the final chorus
vox

Other than that one mono chord, I was actually thinking of other
recordings you've done.

Not only do I remember the hit single "Mrs. Nobody" from the last
AM4T comp and a few alternative versions posted/discussed on AM4T, I
found an earlier mp3 recording of "Soap 'n' bubbles" from when you
apparently posted it a little over a year ago. I remembered the song
from the guitar riff.

Great memory you have there. What system do you use for archiving mp3s? I
presume you have a "amateur" or "4-track" folder or something?

They're not really organized, I have them in subdirectories based
on DL date. Once or twice a year a folder gets "full" so I create a
new one and start DL'ing to it. I found the earlier one by searching
my main mp3 directory for a file with bubbles in the name. Again, I
remembered hearing the song before, and so I knew to look for an mp3
of it.

"damn politicians..."

Strangely enough I don't really have a political opinion about this whole
tuition thing.

I don't mean to get political either, it was just an oblique
reference to/quote from the "Big Riff" track from the last AM4T comp
and as assembled several months earlier. I was hoping someone else
would notice... As I recall, there hadn't been any 'political'
discussion on AM4T around that time, UNTIL the posting of those
lyrics, which included lot more than just the words "damn
politicians."

I haven't sat down and thought about it really. I've got a
fat lone hanging over me but that's fair enough really, I'm not complaining
but I was lucky enough not to have to get a job cos my parents helped me
out. It's true that I didn't really wash with soap or bubbles whilst at uni
but that was just due to laziness, not lack of money really.

That might have been more than we wanted to know.

thanks Ben

You're welcome.

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
Brothermark

Listen to the soap-n-bubbles-bedroomtalent-drums.mp3 file and
compare it to the nodrums one, or especially the 320k one you just
posted - this problem is NOT present on either of those.

Ah I see. Good investigative work Ben!!
I'm going to start using higher bitrates as standard from now on I think.

Comparing these one more time, the turned-down vocal chorus on the
320k mix doesn't seem to have as much dynamics and 'energy' as the the
ones where the vocals are clipping...

Yeah I think I agree. The clipping version really hits home the ridiculous
melodrama of the grand finale and yeah maybe much of that is lost. It was
clipping by around 12db previously, and now there is no clip. Effective
compression, clever panning and reverb could help regain the energy though
right? I'm pleased to report that George Perfect is mixing this song in the
coming weeks and I was very happy with his compression & reverb work on Mrs
Nobody so I'm confident he can bring it to life.

I expect that I might actually end up adding the bass guitar part. It used
to have one but I removed it for this version to try and capture a really
raw, uncluttered, live feel. But maybe at verse 2 I could stick one in.

thanks again Ben. good stuff.

Brothermark

Sean Holland wrote:

I'd like to chime in with another "I love this song" post. So I will:
I love this song!

thanks Sean. That's great.
But..... you ain't seen nothing yet
The song is currently being mixed by the talents of George @
www.oxtrackstudio.co.uk

I'll post again when the finished product is ready to go

mark