LeBaron & Alrich

Default Julian Hirsch, RIP

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/03/arts/03HIRS.html

Julian Hirsch, an Engineer Who Wrote About Audio Gear, Dies
By WOLFGANG SAXON

ulian Hirsch, an electrical engineer and writer who was among the first
to help a growing audience of audiophiles sort through the good, the bad
and the indifferent in electronic sound equipment, died on Nov. 24 in
the Bronx. He was 81 and lived in New Rochelle, N.Y.

Starting in the 1950's Mr. Hirsch began to keep track of the hi-fi hobby
as it bulged into a billion-dollar industry. By his own count he wrote
about 4,000 laboratory test reports for various publications by the time
he retired in 1998.

ha
William Sommerwerck

Julian Hirsch, an electrical engineer and writer who was among the first
to help a growing audience of audiophiles sort through the good, the bad
and the indifferent in electronic sound equipment, died on Nov. 24 in
the Bronx. He was 81 and lived in New Rochelle, N.Y.

He did nothing of the sort. Reviews of bad products were suppressed or never
written in the first place. Reviews of indifferent products were written to
avoid saying anything obviously embarrassing.

Like most reviewers -- including a big percentage of "underground" reviewers --
Julian Hirsch did little or nothing to advance either audio criticism or the
audio art itself.

Arny Krueger

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

Julian Hirsch, an electrical engineer and writer who was among the
first to help a growing audience of audiophiles sort through the
good, the bad and the indifferent in electronic sound equipment,
died on Nov. 24 in the Bronx. He was 81 and lived in New Rochelle,
N.Y.

He did nothing of the sort. Reviews of bad products were suppressed
or never written in the first place.

If they were suppressed then the comment in the first paragraph stands.
However, one need not publish bad reviews in order to "...help a growing
audience of audiophiles sort through the good, the bad and the indifferent
in electronic sound equipment..." This help can be provided by several means
that Hirsch used.

Positive reviews of good equipment and other positive comments are a
"carrot" approach to guiding people away from bad equipment. Just because he
was less likely to use the "stick" approach doesn't mean that he didn't
provide guidance.

Hirsch made a number of general and specific comments that guided people
away from a very significant problematic area in audio equipment, namely
snake oil products. He didn't flog that issue hard enough to keep me from
getting caught up in a fair amount of audio snake oil, but he did lay the
groundwork for the influences that finally got me back on track.

Reviews of indifferent products were written to avoid saying anything

obviously embarrassing.

I'd like to see some impartial evidence of that. There's lots of people who
go around saying what horrible things certain products are, but yet on
closer investigation, at least a few of them are really pretty good, at
least in certain applications. For example, I've seen way too many people
blow long and hard about the nasty sounds purportedly coming out of certain
power amps, only to see them reduced to random guessing while listening to
said amp in their system with their recordings at their liesure. It very
much seems like they were hearing their prejudices, not what the amp was
really doing. Been there, done that!

Like most reviewers -- including a big percentage of "underground"
reviewers -- Julian Hirsch did little or nothing to advance either
audio criticism or the audio art itself.

If we decided to discuss the negative reviews that show up in the high end
press, we'd have a darn short discussion, or a long discussion over a very
few examples. There just aren't a lot of bad formal reviews. Furthermore,
I've written and published a fair number of them at my web sites, so it's
not like I favor whitewashing bad products.

William Sommerwerck

Arny Krueger wrote...

William Sommerwerck wrote...

[...]

No offense, Arny, but I think you're trying "to have it both ways."

There are several good things one can say about JH's work. He was a fine writer,
and consistently technically correct. I learned a lot about electronics and
sound reproduction reading his columns.

He also handed out a few pieces of excellent advice, such as "Never pay for a
difference in sound you can't actually hear." It was good advice then, and it is
now (though it can be rationally reversed to justify spending huge amounts of
money on questionable products).

But it's not enough that JH guided people away from "snake-oil" products. What
about poor products from major manufacturers? Gordon Holt founded "The
Stereophile" because "High Fidelity" (or more precisely, its advertising
department) wouldn't let him publish reviews of bad-sounding or unreliable
equipment. I discussed this point with him the other day, and he said that if a
poor review of such products causes their manufacturers to go out of business --
too bad.

The Bose 901 is a classic example of why _insightful_ reviews of bad products
are necessary. There were only two negative reviews of the 901, one from
"Consumer Reports," the other from "The Stereophile." As negative as Gordon's
review is, it only _implicitly_ explains why the 901 is such a poor speaker (in
the technical sense, not just in the "I don't think it's an accurate reproducer"
sense).

Reviews of indifferent products were written to avoid saying
anything obviously embarrassing.

I'd like to see some impartial evidence of that.

Well, how about one of Julian Hirsch's own reviews?

In 1979 I was working at Barclay Recording in PA, and knew a number of salesmen
from other stores. Julian Hirsch had just published a review of a mediocre E-V
speaker system in which he said it "sounded about as good as
one might expect a speaker to sound."

WHAT...? You mean it sounds perfect? It has no "sound" of its own? That's what
_I_ expect from a speaker!

A salesman from another store was equally exercised at what also seemed to him
an obviously waffling review, and invited me over to hear this speaker. We
agreed it was obviously colored and nothing special. "What is Julian Hirsch
trying to say?," the other salesman wondered.

The answer, of course, is what he was trying _not_ to say.

Like most reviewers -- including a big percentage of "underground"
reviewers -- Julian Hirsch did little or nothing to advance either
audio criticism or the audio art itself.

If we decided to discuss the negative reviews that show up in
the high-end press, we'd have a darn short discussion, or a long
discussion over a very few examples.

Agreed. But did you see my review of a ReVox tape deck that nearly got their
agency to pull its advertising? And that was mostly about the deck's dated
ergonomics and incorrect factory setup. (They also didn't like the fact that I
said it didn't sound any better than an Otari, even though it measured better.)

There just aren't a lot of bad formal reviews. Furthermore, I've written
and published a fair number of them at my web sites, so it's not like
I favor whitewashing bad products.

The reason, I think, is that the overall quality of audio equipment has improved
drastically in the past 30 years.

Arny Krueger

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote...

William Sommerwerck wrote...

Julian Hirsch, an electrical engineer and writer who was among the
first to help a growing audience of audiophiles sort through the
good, the bad and the indifferent in electronic sound equipment,
died on Nov. 24 in the Bronx. He was 81 and lived in New Rochelle,
N.Y.

He did nothing of the sort. Reviews of bad products were suppressed
or never written in the first place.

If they were suppressed then the comment in the first paragraph
stands. However, one need not publish bad reviews in order to
"...help a growing audience of audiophiles sort through the good,
the bad and the indifferent in electronic sound equipment..." This
help can be provided by several means that Hirsch used.

Positive reviews of good equipment and other positive comments are a
"carrot" approach to guiding people away from bad equipment. Just
because he was less likely to use the "stick" approach doesn't mean
that he didn't provide guidance.

Hirsch made a number of general and specific comments that guided
people away from a very significant problematic area in audio
equipment, namely snake-oil products. He didn't flog that issue hard
enough to keep me from getting caught up in a fair amount of audio
snake oil, but he did lay the groundwork for the influences that
finally got me back on track.

No offense, Arny, but I think you're trying "to have it both ways."

Or, I'm looking for some ground that's closer to the middle.

[...]

Given that JGH quickly returned to wailing and gnashing his teeth at the
mention of the phrase "Blind test" after a momentary lapse with an early
ABX box, I don't really know what he means when he says "bad-sounding".

The Bose 901 is a classic example of why _insightful_ reviews of bad
products are necessary. There were only two negative reviews of the
901, one from "Consumer Reports," the other from "The Stereophile."

I look at it this way. I know why I don't like the 901, and even the two
negative reviews you cite didn't really nail the issues the way I think they
needed to be nailed.

As negative as Gordon's review is, it only _implicitly_ explains why
the 901 is such a poor speaker (in the technical sense, not just in
the "I don't think it's an accurate reproducer" sense).

We may be even agreeing here. However, I don't think its fair to judge JH
based on a tiny percentage of his work.

[...]

I see no evidence of objectivity or impartiality. Just another anecdote
based purely on opinions with unknown basis.

Like most reviewers -- including a big percentage of "underground"
reviewers -- Julian Hirsch did little or nothing to advance either
audio criticism or the audio art itself.

If we decided to discuss the negative reviews that show up in
the high-end press, we'd have a darn short discussion, or a long
discussion over a very few examples.

Agreed. But did you see my review of a ReVox tape deck that nearly
got their agency to pull its advertising? And that was mostly about
the deck's dated ergonomics and incorrect factory setup. (They also
didn't like the fact that I said it didn't sound any better than an
Otari, even though it measured better.)

Not really. If it was in Stereophile I dropped my subscription to it long
ago, after being a charter subscriber.

There just aren't a lot of bad formal reviews. Furthermore, I've
written and published a fair number of them at my web sites, so it's
not like I favor whitewashing bad products.

The reason, I think, is that the overall quality of audio equipment
has improved drastically in the past 30 years.

In 1996-1998 I still found a lot of absolutely horrific PC multimedia
hardware to complain about, some of which was not exactly cheap.

William Sommerwerck

As negative as Gordon's review is, it only _implicitly_ explains why
the 901 is such a poor speaker (in the technical sense, not just in
the "I don't think it's an accurate reproducer" sense).

We may be even agreeing here. However, I don't think its fair to judge
JH based on a tiny percentage of his work.

The problem is that this "tiny percentage" pretty much puts the lie to the rest
of his career.

A salesman from another store was equally exercised at what also
seemed to him an obviously waffling review, and invited me over to
hear this speaker. We agreed it was obviously colored and nothing
special. "What is Julian Hirsch trying to say?," the other salesman
wondered.

The answer, of course, is what he was trying _not_ to say.

I see no evidence of objectivity or impartiality. Just another anecdote
based purely on opinions with unknown basis.

I suggest you find the review and read it. If you think Hirsch's statement is
NOT an attempt at mealy-mouthing... Then I think you need to come to better
understanding of what words connote.

Scott Dorsey

William Sommerwerck wrote:
Julian Hirsch, an electrical engineer and writer who was among the first
to help a growing audience of audiophiles sort through the good, the bad
and the indifferent in electronic sound equipment, died on Nov. 24 in
the Bronx. He was 81 and lived in New Rochelle, N.Y.

He did nothing of the sort. Reviews of bad products were suppressed or never
written in the first place. Reviews of indifferent products were written to
avoid saying anything obviously embarrassing.

Hirsch is pretty much universally reviled in the high end audio community,
and he did a lot to almost singlehandedly drive people into believing that
measurements were useless. His promotion of accurate and objective but
generally meaningless measurements did a lot to convince people who actually
listened to equipment that there was not only something wrong with his
measurement methodology, but with measurements in general. This is truly
inexcusable.

Like most reviewers -- including a big percentage of "underground" reviewers --
Julian Hirsch did little or nothing to advance either audio criticism or the
audio art itself.

If anything, I think he set audio criticism back tremendously. He was a very
nice person, and a good guy, and I agreed with his philosophy in a lot of
ways. But I think he set the cause of objective testing back decades. I
think he also originated the whole practice of puff reviews in the audio
community, and he and Stereo Review are possibly responsible for the consumer
audio industry having evolved into the mess that it now is.
P Stamler

There just aren't a lot of bad formal reviews. Furthermore, I've written
and published a fair number of them at my web sites, so it's not like
I favor whitewashing bad products.

The reason, I think, is that the overall quality of audio equipment has
improved
drastically in the past 30 years.

Well, that opens up an entirely different kettle of worms. It may have improved
drastically in the world of consumer electronics (though one could argue that
point, given the prevalence of boomboxes out there), but in some ways the world
of recording equipment has lagged. The truly professional stuff has indeed
gotten better -- witness Great River, Millennia, etc.. In many ways it begins
to approach the performance of high-end (non-snake-oil) home audio gear.

But most of the recording stuff out there, at the low end, is designed to the
same standards as home-audio gear from Radio Shack. Not even Kenwood and Onkyo,
but Radio Shack. There are exceptions, like the RNC, but if you look inside
most of the stuff with pricetags under $500, it's Shack quality all the way.
Yes, it does a lot for its price, but it still, mostly, sounds like dog crap.

It's nice when you discover a piece of inexpensive gear that doesn't mangle the
sound, or at least doesn't mangle it as badly as the competition. But there's a
generation doing recordings now who have never heard a better-than-Shack piece
of gear in their lives. So has the quality gone up? Yes in the high bracket, no
in the bracket where the vast majority of stuff is sold.

That said, there *are* some nice bargains out there, so I guess I having it
both ways too. End of rant; time for a bagel.

Peace,
Paul
Nousaine

(Scott Dorsey) wrote:

William Sommerwerck wrote:
[...]

This is a common, misguided viewpoint. Measurements have seemingly become
"useless" only because with electronic gear they so often eclipse thresholds of
audibility by orders of magnitude.

But, people, give Hirsch a bad rap in that respect. He pioneered the use of
solid measurements that most consumers would have never had access to. When you
wanted to know how many real watts separated the Dyna 400 and the Heathkit
AA-1640 you had to do no more than trek toi the local library and look it up.

He started with this in the early 50s when the Audio League Report was an
under-ground publication. And he was still doin git in the 60-70s when a few
crybaby publications that lacked the expertise eschewed measurements altogether
because they failed to relate to observations gathered under conditons without
even a pretense of neutrality.

Like most reviewers -- including a big percentage of "underground" reviewers

--
Julian Hirsch did little or nothing to advance either audio criticism or the
audio art itself.

Surely he did. His largest contributiuon is steadfastly refusing to 'invent'
language to describe in-audible sounds. If his work lacked anything it was an
active audio-imagination.

If anything, I think he set audio criticism back tremendously. He was a very
nice person, and a good guy, and I agreed with his philosophy in a lot of
ways. But I think he set the cause of objective testing back decades. I
think he also originated the whole practice of puff reviews in the audio
community, and he and Stereo Review are possibly responsible for the consumer
audio industry having evolved into the mess that it now is.
--scott

"Puff" reviews? That's the baliwick of the undergrounds in spite of hand-waving
to the contrary. Ever read a review of a product in Stereophile that didn't
appear on the RCL? Not many.

That was another very useful part of his work in Stereo Review; I never had to
wade through paragraphs explaining how much lint he picked out of his navel
that day before a wire or amplifier 'revealed' itself to him.

In the end; all consumer audio evaluations stand in the shadow of Julian
Hirsch. He invented it all, including underground publication. He invented or
was on-board every positive trend well before his critics knew there was an
issue.

William Sommerwerck

Scott Dorsey wrote...

Hirsch is pretty much universally reviled in the high end audio community,
and he did a lot to almost singlehandedly drive people into believing that
measurements were useless. His promotion of accurate and objective but
generally meaningless measurements did a lot to convince people who
actually listened to equipment that there was not only something wrong with
his measurement methodology, but with measurements in general. This is truly
inexcusable.

I pretty much agree with Scott.

Many years ago I wanted to buy a good cassette deck, and on the basis of JH's
favorable review, I bought a TEAC 450, rather than a Nakamichi 700.

Much to my surprise, the 450 was noticeably flat and grainy-sounding. You could
plainly hear the loss of quality between the original and the playback. It was
this that finally soured me on JH's reviews.

I later bought a Nakamichi 700 II, and it was much better-sounding. Indeed, it
was the first tape recorder I'd owned that didn't obviously alter the sound. (In
fairness, I must admit that I'd never owned a really good open-reel machine.
Even my Pioneer "semi-pro" RT-2022 didn't sound as good as the Nakamichi.)

One of JH's attempts at objective reviewing was a clever live-versus-recorded
technique that recorded the output of a decent (but not large or expensive)
speaker playing in an anechoic chamber. The idea was to compare that recording
played through the speaker under test with the output of the smaller speaker
playing in the listening room. Ignoring differences in dispersion, this
technique should clearly show whether the speaker under test is accurate,
because you have the "original" sound to compare it with.

JH used this system for a year, and then abandoned it without explaining why.
The reason should be obvious.

The better speakers he tested had little or no trouble reproducing the sound of
the reference speaker. The _implication_ of that is that the speaker under test
must be nearly perfect, or nearly so. But to even a cloth-eared listener, it's
obvious it just isn't so. JH must have realized that this system didn't provide
any really useful information, but he didn't have the guts (???) to explain its
abandonment to the readers.

Scott Dorsey

Nousaine wrote:
(Scott Dorsey) wrote:
William Sommerwerck wrote:

Hirsch is pretty much universally reviled in the high end audio community,
and he did a lot to almost singlehandedly drive people into believing that
measurements were useless. His promotion of accurate and objective but
generally meaningless measurements did a lot to convince people who actually
listened to equipment that there was not only something wrong with his
measurement methodology, but with measurements in general. This is truly
inexcusable.

This is a common, misguided viewpoint. Measurements have seemingly become
"useless" only because with electronic gear they so often eclipse thresholds of
audibility by orders of magnitude.

Then they aren't the RIGHT measurements. A lot of measurements are useless
because they aren't measuring anything important.

It matters not only that you make good measurements, but that you measure
something important, and you know what the measurements mean.

But, people, give Hirsch a bad rap in that respect. He pioneered the use of
solid measurements that most consumers would have never had access to. When you
wanted to know how many real watts separated the Dyna 400 and the Heathkit
AA-1640 you had to do no more than trek toi the local library and look it up.

This is absolutely true, and he does deserve a lot of credit for this.

But the Dyna 400 sounds awful, and he never warned anyone about that. Why
does it sound awful? There are a lot of measurements you can make now that
will tell you, from TIMD to distortion spectra. Back when those amps were
new, it wasn't possible to make a lot of those measurements, so you could not
rely exclusively on measurement. You still cannot.

He started with this in the early 50s when the Audio League Report was an
under-ground publication. And he was still doin git in the 60-70s when a few
crybaby publications that lacked the expertise eschewed measurements altogether
because they failed to relate to observations gathered under conditons without
even a pretense of neutrality.

Yes, but what is the sense of being neutral when you are providing no useful
information? Promoting THD as a valid measurement to distinguish between
amplifiers was valid back in the thirties when it was a huge step forward
toward objective measurements that explained subjective effects. Promoting
the same measurement in the seventies when it had turned into a useless bit
of specsmanship was offensive.

"Puff" reviews? That's the baliwick of the undergrounds in spite of hand-waving
to the contrary. Ever read a review of a product in Stereophile that didn't
appear on the RCL? Not many.

I'm not holding Stereophile reviews up either. They took the alternate
view completely and relied entirely on subjective listening tests. This is
also reprehensible. You cannot just listen and you cannot just measure.
You have to do both and correlate the two or you are wasting your time.

Rob Adelman

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Back when those amps were
new, it wasn't possible to make a lot of those measurements, so you could not
rely exclusively on measurement.

I am sure there will be some new measurements in the future that tell us
things that can currently not be measured, especially in digital audio.

You cannot just listen and you cannot just measure.
You have to do both and correlate the two or you are wasting your time.

Most definitely!

William Sommerwerck

I'm not holding Stereophile reviews up either. They took the alternate
view completely and relied entirely on subjective listening tests. This is
also reprehensible. You cannot just listen and you cannot just measure.
You have to do both and correlate the two or you are wasting your time.

Although "reprehensible" is too strong a word, you are qualitatively correct.
But nobody wants to go to the trouble of developing truly valid measurements,
because a huge amount of listening and measuring, probably taking the better
part of a decade, would be required.

David Grant

I'm not holding Stereophile reviews up either. They took the alternate
view completely and relied entirely on subjective listening tests. This

is
also reprehensible. You cannot just listen and you cannot just measure.
You have to do both and correlate the two or you are wasting your time.

Although "reprehensible" is too strong a word, you are qualitatively

correct.
But nobody wants to go to the trouble of developing truly valid

measurements,
because a huge amount of listening and measuring, probably taking the

better
part of a decade, would be required.

You're saying such a time would be required to discover *meaningful*
measurements (and measurement methods) themselves? Is a decade not a
relatively short time considering the advances it could bring to the
industry?

Marc Wielage

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 6:03:38 -0800, Arny Krueger wrote
(in message ):

Positive reviews of good equipment and other positive comments are a
"carrot" approach to guiding people away from bad equipment. Just because he
was less likely to use the "stick" approach doesn't mean that he didn't
provide guidance.
--------------------------------snip----------------------------------

I think Bill Sommerwerck is a lot closer to the truth in this, Arny. What is
true is that, behind-the-scenes, editorial and advertising pressures oftened
resulted in Julian Hirsch's reviews getting re-edited after they were written
-- either to soften the message or at least dilute the negative aspects, to
avoid angering advertisers. (I know this only because I knew Len Feldman
during the 1980s, when he and I were technical editors of VIDEO REVIEW
magazine.)

There was a time during the 1970s when Hirsch practically perfected the art
of writing reviews where there would be thinly-veiled criticisms of certain
products (particularly speakers), but you had to really look between the
lines to see what he was really saying. I was very vocal in my own criticism
of his work during that time -- when I was just a reader -- but in looking
back, I now believe that Hirsch was doing the best he could to tell the
truth, given his lack of real editorial freedom. When you got used to his
writing style, you could see when he was saying a certain product wasn't
up-to-snuff; and there was no doubt when he said something was a knockout.
True, it was kind of in "code," which is silly and stupid, but I think that
was the only way he could work within the parameters STEREO REVIEW gave him.

On the issue of negative reviews: I fought for years to get negative reviews
published in VIDEO REVIEW, but invariably, the editors would opt to just kill
them, rather than risk antagonize the advertisers. The explanation given to
me was usually, "even if we do give Product X a really bad review, there will
still be readers who'll go out and buy it anyway, just to prove us wrong, so
it won't really stop anybody from buying it. It just gives them extra
publicity. Besides, it takes up too much space that we should be devoting
too reviewing good products."

I argued that they should print *brief* negative reviews of bad products, but
they said that manufacturers would be irate, and claim we were giving them
short shrift. You can't win.

The only time I ever saw either STEREO REVIEW or VIDEO REVIEW (owned by
different companies, BTW) give products bad reviews were when they were made
by companies who never advertised. I can recall STEREO REVIEW slamming a
fairly expensive ($500+) Radio Shack receiver in the mid-1970s, and thinking,
"well, that's one way to get a bad review published -- make sure it doesn't
****-off any advertisers."

--MFW

Kurt Albershardt

Scott Dorsey wrote:

I'm not holding Stereophile reviews up either. They took the alternate
view completely and relied entirely on subjective listening tests. This is
also reprehensible. You cannot just listen and you cannot just measure.
You have to do both and correlate the two or you are wasting your time.

To be fair, quite a number of the Stereophile reviews during the '90s
made an effort to do just this. It was perhaps most successful with
speakers (as Arny noted) and I frequently found the reviews useful.

William Sommerwerck

Tom Nousaine wrote...

But, people, give Hirsch a bad rap in that respect. He pioneered the use of
solid measurements that most consumers would have never had access to.
When you wanted to know how many real watts separated the Dyna 400
and the Heathkit AA-1640 you had to do no more than trek toi the local library
and look it up.

Yeah, it's so horribly difficult to connect an amp to a load resistor and drive
it with an oscillator...

He started with this in the early 50s when the Audio League Report was an
under-ground publication. And he was still doing it in the 60-70s when a few
crybaby publications that lacked the expertise eschewed measurements
altogether because they failed to relate to observations gathered under
conditons without even a pretense of neutrality.

It was, a others have pointed out, Julian Hirsch who was one of the main
contributors to the belief that measurements were meaningless. How many readers
of this posting bought something praised by JH, only to discover it didn't sound
very good?

It was J. Gordon Holt who was the first to embody, in a magazine, the "weird"
idea that, because hi-fi equipment was supposed to be listened to, that's the
way it should be judged.

Tell us, Tom... When you select equipment for your hi-fi system, what is the
final consideration... How it measures, or how it sounds?

Surely he did. His largest contributiuon is steadfastly refusing to 'invent'
language to describe in-audible sounds. If his work lacked anything it
was an active audio-imagination.

My initials... Do you know utterly stupid that sounds? I'm not going to waste my
time criticizing it.

The most damning thing you can say about JH was said by him, himself. He once
said that he heard differences among electronic components, but "they didn't
matter."

Then what the ****ing HELL is the point of reviewing the equipment? To confirm
that it meets its specs? Jesus H. Christ.

Dave

"S O'Neill" wrote in message
I read an article of his that inflated a two-watt power amp into a

200-watt amp,
to illustrate why the FTC had to step in and define the way testing would

be done.

Jeez, I was in high school when I read that article! You gotta love the
"wiggle room" that IPP (Instantaneous Peak Power) gave the marketing
department! There certainly were some shameless claims back then.

dave

Nousaine

"William Sommerwerck" wrote:

Tom Nousaine wrote...

But, people, give Hirsch a bad rap in that respect. He pioneered the use of
solid measurements that most consumers would have never had access to.
When you wanted to know how many real watts separated the Dyna 400
and the Heathkit AA-1640 you had to do no more than trek toi the local

library
and look it up.

Yeah, it's so horribly difficult to connect an amp to a load resistor and
drive
it with an oscillator...

So how many people had an oscillator or a 250 watt load resistor or an
oscilloscope to monitor output or a method of measuring distortion? I had
access to that equipment at work but, at that time, not at home. How about you?
Or your best friends?

He started with this in the early 50s when the Audio League Report was an
under-ground publication. And he was still doing it in the 60-70s when a

few
crybaby publications that lacked the expertise eschewed measurements
altogether because they failed to relate to observations gathered under
conditons without even a pretense of neutrality.

It was, a others have pointed out, Julian Hirsch who was one of the main
contributors to the belief that measurements were meaningless. How many
readers
of this posting bought something praised by JH, only to discover it didn't
sound
very good?

I've never met one who could prove that under bias-controlled listening
conditions. You are promulgating an old Urban Legend that is simply just
bull****, if you don't mind my saying so.

But, quite frankly he seldom "praised" anything. That was what was so special.
His data showed what the product could do and I never had to sort through a
bunch of "this machine takes 3 weeks before it will bend to your will and let
you into it's secret world." poetry crap.

It was J. Gordon Holt who was the first to embody, in a magazine, the "weird"
idea that, because hi-fi equipment was supposed to be listened to, that's the
way it should be judged.

Tell us, Tom... When you select equipment for your hi-fi system, what is the
final consideration... How it measures, or how it sounds?

Nice try at a strawman argument. I expect any electronic piece that I buy will
transport a signal from input to output with complete transparency (gain if
needed; warpage if requested) and measurements will tell me if a component will
do that.

Which is "why" I don't test electronics and concentrate on speakers. I learned
from Julian Hirsch 25 years ago that any reasonably competent amplifier can do
this with no degradation of the 'sound.'

Therefore I select electronic equipment on the basis of size, features, color,
power output; (with amplifiers Julian Hirsch submitted testimony that ensured
that what is advertised will be available at the output terminals of the
amplifier) price and terms.

Even the most modest of amplifiers I've purchased since 1976, approximately 2
dozen, of which I still own 10, including the first, have never been shown to
sound different, to me and other enthusiasts (although I haven't booted the
Heath in 18-months) from any of the others, or other competitive units when
compared by the owners, under bias controlled conditions when not being driven
into hard-clipping.

Julian Hirsch knew this and I forever thank him for letting everybody KNOW this
basic true-ism.

Surely he did. His largest contributiuon is steadfastly refusing to

'invent'
language to describe in-audible sounds. If his work lacked anything it
was an active audio-imagination.

My initials... Do you know utterly stupid that sounds? I'm not going to waste
my
time criticizing it.

Good. Because you'll look pretty stupid trying to criticize it. I'll repeat;
one of the best characteristics of Hirsch was his steadfast reistance to
describing the 'sound' of components that had no innate sound of their own.

The most damning thing you can say about JH was said by him, himself. He once
said that he heard differences among electronic components, but "they didn't
matter."

Then what the ****ing HELL is the point of reviewing the equipment? To
confirm
that it meets its specs? Jesus H. Christ.

What the hell is the point of reviewing "components" that have no intrinsic
sound of their own in sonic terms?

Until a manufacturer, reviewer, seller or enthusiast shows that they can "hear"
the sound of nominally competent amps/cables, even their own ..... why should
we listen to the bull****?

Julian Hirsch put the lie to audio poetry thirty years ago. Thank Goodness.
Bless him.

Whenever YOU're willing to show that YOU can 'hear' audio Urban Legends in
public let us know at the earliest opportunity.

Kurt Riemann

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 14:27:02 -0600, Rob Adelman
wrote:

I am sure there will be some new measurements in the future that tell us
things that can currently not be measured, especially in digital audio.

If I may propose some to the EAS Standatds Committee -

SP-IPQ - ****ty Plug-In Performance Quotient - (scale of 0-100)
URSSCD - Unlistenable Radio Shack Signal Chain Damage (scale of 1-5)
IWA - Irritating When Audible (Pass / Fail)

Just a start.

Kurt Riemann

Arny Krueger

"Rob Adelman" wrote in message

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Back when those amps were
new, it wasn't possible to make a lot of those measurements, so you
could not rely exclusively on measurement.

It might be good to contemplate what we loosely call "measurements". They
are really three-step operations:

(1) Data Capture
(2) Decomposition
(3) Analysis

In this context, it's arguable that the Data Capture step is pretty much a
done deal. The output of any piece of audio gear is one, or a collection of
time-dependent variables. We can now collect this data with ridiculously
high levels of precision. We can capture so much of this data that storing
it can still be a practical problem, even with terabytes of disc storage at
our disposal. Think I'm kidding? Contemplate a complete set of data for a
microphone or speaker on 5 degree intervals in three dimensions.

The Decomposition step also seems to be pretty well settled in general.
Various applications of FFT-based and related kinds of analysis seem to
rule. Audio signals exist in the frequency domain and the time domain, and
data can be transformed from one to the other, pretty much at will.

That leaves the Analysis step, and that's where I think the major progress
will come. In many senses, this isn't measurement at all. It's analysis.

The general things we call Measurements (i.e., capture+decompose+analyze)
come together as mathematical analogs of hearing. Hearing takes place in the
time domain and the frequency domain and we now pretty much rule both
domains.

We don't know everything about hearing but most of what we've learned in the
past 10 years says that hearing isn't as sensitive as we once thought it
was. As we discover more things about the process of hearing, we discover
more about how to analyze. But we really aren't developing new means for
measuring, we're discovering better ways to analyze and understand the
measurements we've been doing for years.

In electronics, we are deep into an era where raw technical performance can
be so good that detailed analysis is usually not required. The imperfections
in analog and particularly digital electronics are often way less than what
the ear can reliably perceive, and that is pretty much that. Simple bypass
tests show this to be true, but not many people seem to be interested in
doing serious bypass testing.

There do seem to be a few technological blind spots, such as what happens
when you turn the gain on a mic preamp all the way up or all the way down.

There are however two very thorny areas and audio, and they relate to
microphones and speakers. We really don't have much of a clue about how to
use them to do a good job of capturing and recreating sound fields. Mics and
speakers have proliferated like crazy because none of them are
head-and-shoulders all-around better than the best of the rest, and none are
arguably sonically transparent in a meaningful way. BTW, how do you do a
practical bypass test of a microphone or speaker?

I am sure there will be some new measurements in the future that tell
us things that can currently not be measured, especially in digital
audio.

More likely - we'll learn more about how to evaluate what we already
measure.

You cannot just listen and you cannot just measure.
You have to do both and correlate the two or you are wasting your
time.

Most definitely!

Key to the listening part of equipment analysis is reliable listening, where
the test results are as free of personal bias as possible. Listening can now
be pretty much a standardized process, but only a relatively few exceptional
people try to work anywhere near the standards.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the relationship between using
equipment and testing equipment. So, most people still seem wander around
in the dark when it comes to listening tests. I keep trying to collect and
reflect some light. It seems to be getting a little brighter around here.

Arny Krueger

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

I'm not holding Stereophile reviews up either. They took the
alternate view completely and relied entirely on subjective
listening tests. This is also reprehensible. You cannot just listen
and you cannot just measure. You have to do both and correlate the
two or you are wasting your time.

Although "reprehensible" is too strong a word, you are qualitatively
correct. But nobody wants to go to the trouble of developing truly
valid measurements, because a huge amount of listening and measuring,
probably taking the better part of a decade, would be required.

As long as so many people are fighting against bias-controlled listening
tests, the clock can't even start ticking on those ten years.

William Sommerwerck

It was, a others have pointed out, Julian Hirsch who was one of the main
contributors to the belief that measurements were meaningless. How many
readers of this posting bought something praised by JH, only to discover
it didn't sound very good?

I've never met one who could prove that under bias-controlled listening
conditions. You are promulgating an old Urban Legend that is simply just
bull****, if you don't mind my saying so.

And Julian Hirsch's ears are the final judge of audio quality? That if he said
something was good (if only by not saying it's bad) it's good? Come off it, Tom.
NO reviewer is that good, or that consistent.

I ask anyone reading this who had a similar experience to post it. Let me repeat
my defining experience...

The TEAC A-450 I purchased did not sound very good. Specifically, it had a flat
(ie, lacking in depth), "grainy" sound that was once (but no longer) considered
typical of solid-state equipment. No amount of tweaking the bias for flat
response, etc, would fix this.

This seems to have been a common problem with TEAC equipment of that era,
including open-reel machines, something I was not aware of at the time I bought
the A-450. (See, for example, the StereOpus review of the R-2240 [sic].)

But, quite frankly he seldom "praised" anything. That was what was so special.
His data showed what the product could do and I never had to sort through a
bunch of "this machine takes 3 weeks before it will bend to your will and let
you into it's secret world." poetry crap.

Hey, Tom... I reviewed for a subjectivist magazine, and I never pulled crap like
that.

Tell us, Tom... When you select equipment for your hi-fi system, what is the
final consideration... How it measures, or how it sounds?

Nice try at a strawman argument. I expect any electronic piece that I buy will
transport a signal from input to output with complete transparency (gain if
needed; warpage if requested) and measurements will tell me if a component
will do that.

Okay, Tom. Tell me which measurements (type and threshold) guarantee than an
amplifying device will not audibly color the sound. I'm waiting. [tapping finges
impatiently] What are they? This is NOT a rhetorical question. Tell me. Right
now. Inquiring minds want to know.

I can think of two significant measurements (though only one is readily
provable). First, an amplifier should produce nothing other than second- or
third-order harmonics. This is John Curl's design practice, and as he has an
excellent reputation, I'm inclined to believe it's correct. The second is that
an amplifier's frequency response should not only be flat, but should not vary
with the load. Many tube amps break this rule, and if I were the editor of any
audiophile mag, such amps would get a Not Recommended rating (at least, for
anyone who wants accurate, rather than euphonically colored, playback).

I'm not saying measurements are useless. It's just that nobody has ever done the
really difficult work needed to correlate measurements with what we hear.

One of the problems I have in attacking the UTTER AND TOTAL INTELLECTUAL
STUPIDITY on both sides of this issue is that I can't attack or defend either
position without painted as being a slavish adherent to that particular point of
view. The inability of most people to reason clearly, and their lack of
curiosity and ability to think critically is appalling.

Which is "why" I don't test electronics and concentrate on speakers. I learned
from Julian Hirsch 25 years ago that any reasonably competent amplifier can
do this with no degradation of the 'sound.'

How did you learn this? By what means was this information conveyed? Because
Julian Hirsch SAID SO? Oh, my.

Even the most modest of amplifiers I've purchased since 1976, approximately
2 dozen, of which I still own 10, including the first, have never been shown

sound different, to me and other enthusiasts (although I haven't booted the
Heath in 18-months) from any of the others, or other competitive units when
compared by the owners, under bias controlled conditions when not being
driven into hard-clipping.

Julian Hirsch knew this and I forever thank him for letting everybody KNOW
this basic true-ism.

You are conveniently overlooking the fact that JH said he DID hear differences
among amps and preamps. Only "they didn't matter." What kind of intellectual
shmuck does that make Hirsch? (I confess this is not at all a nice thing to say.
If I didn't have the guts to say it to his face when he was alive -- and I could
have, on several occasions -- what right to have to say it behind his back, when
he's dead?)

Julian Hirsch was a dull, boring person lacking in intellectual vibrancy or
depth. Talking with him was like talking to a piece of wallboard -- without even
peanut butter for flavor.

Please tell me... At what point in the evolution of amps and preamps did they
all start sounding alike? Are you saying that every preamp and every power amp
made since the hi-fi boom started after WWII sounds like every other one? And if
a division can be made between "competent" and "incompetent" designs, then tell
me the factors that determine these.

THIS IS NOT RHETORICAL QUESTION. Tell me.

Have you ever heard the Audio Research SP-3, one of the darlings of the
audiophile crowd (25 years ago, at least)? It sounds AWFUL. It is such a
bad-sounding preamp -- so highly colored -- that you can instantly hear what's
wrong with it, without even comparing it with anything else.

Surely he did. His largest contributiuon is steadfastly refusing to
'invent' language to describe in-audible sounds. If his work lacked
anything it was an active audio-imagination.

My initials... Do you know utterly stupid that sounds? I'm not going to waste
my time criticizing it.

Good. Because you'll look pretty stupid trying to criticize it. I'll repeat;
one of the best characteristics of Hirsch was his steadfast reistance to
describing the 'sound' of components that had no innate sound of their own.

What a moronic explanation.

How did Julian Hirsch KNOW that these components had "no innate sound" of their
own? Tell me! Was it because he believed, a priori, that they didn't?

What method or technique did he use to guarantee the accuracy or correctness of
his listening tests? (This same question can be applied to every other listener
as well, of course.) Tell me, I want to know.

The most damning thing you can say about JH was said by him, himself.
He once said that he heard differences among electronic components,
but "they didn't matter."

Then what the ****ing HELL is the point of reviewing the equipment?
To confirm that it meets its specs? Jesus H. Christ.

What the hell is the point of reviewing "components" that have no intrinsic
sound of their own in sonic terms?

By what proof? Julian Hirsch's word? Is he the Aristotle of audio? I guess,
then, that heavier objects fall faster than light ones, right?

Mr. Nousaine, your inability to reason clearly is startling. You need to speak
with someone whose intelligence you respect -- preferably someone who is NOT an
audiophile -- to explain the errors in your reasoning.

Until a manufacturer, reviewer, seller or enthusiast shows that they can

"hear"
the sound of nominally competent amps/cables, even their own... Why should
we listen to the bull****?
Julian Hirsch put the lie to audio poetry thirty years ago. Thank Goodness.
Bless him.
Whenever YOU're willing to show that YOU can 'hear' audio Urban Legends in
public let us know at the earliest opportunity.

I've got a better offer -- a much better one. Let me pick out some bad-sounding
equipment, and in a blind listening test, you demonstrate to me that you DON'T
hear a difference.

William Sommerwerck

We don't know everything about hearing but most of what we've learned in
the past 10 years says that hearing isn't as sensitive as we once thought it
was. As we discover more things about the process of hearing, we discover
more about how to analyze. But we really aren't developing new means for
measuring, we're discovering better ways to analyze and understand the
measurements we've been doing for years.

One of the objective facts that has been overlooked is the ability of the brain
to make gross alterations in what it hears, according to what it expects. For
example, when you suddenly recognize a person's voice on the phone, the sound of
their voice abruptly alters to match what you expect it to be.

In electronics, we are deep into an era where raw technical performance can
be so good that detailed analysis is usually not required. The imperfections
in analog and particularly digital electronics are often way less than what
the ear can reliably perceive, and that is pretty much that. Simple bypass
tests show this to be true, but not many people seem to be interested in
doing serious bypass testing.

I disagree. I've done a lot of uncontrolled bypass testing, and the differences
can be plainly audible.

Some equipment has little sound of its own. Products using high-quality op-amps
or transconductance amps tend to be very slightly soft and sweet-sounding, with
no other obvious errors. The difference is sufficiently small that it is not
usually audible except with very good playback.

On the other hand, the original Sony "digital" preamp was not very
good-sounding. You could plainly hear the difference between input and output,
which was presumably due to the A/D + D/A conversion all inputs went through.

William Sommerwerck

As long as so many people are fighting against bias-controlled listening
tests, the clock can't even start ticking on those ten years.

You are assuming DBT is bias-controlled. It isn't. It's possible to do tests
that are TRULY bias-controlled, but no one wants to.

Arny Krueger

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

We don't know everything about hearing but most of what we've
learned in the past 10 years says that hearing isn't as sensitive as
we once thought it was. As we discover more things about the process
of hearing, we discover more about how to analyze. But we really
aren't developing new means for measuring, we're discovering better
ways to analyze and understand the measurements we've been doing
for years.

One of the objective facts that has been overlooked is the ability of
the brain to make gross alterations in what it hears, according to
what it expects. For example, when you suddenly recognize a person's
voice on the phone, the sound of their voice abruptly alters to match
what you expect it to be.

I don't think that's been ignored at all. What is sometimes ignored is the
vast difference between casual listening for the purpose of communication,
and critical listening for the purpose of hearing differences between audio
products. I find it interesting to note the big differences in how the
speech people do ABX tests and the way the equipment evaluation people do
ABX tests.

In electronics, we are deep into an era where raw technical
performance can be so good that detailed analysis is usually not
required. The imperfections in analog and particularly digital
electronics are often way less than what the ear can reliably
perceive, and that is pretty much that. Simple bypass tests show
this to be true, but not many people seem to be interested in doing
serious bypass testing.

I disagree. I've done a lot of uncontrolled bypass testing, and the
differences can be plainly audible.

Well, do some controlled bypass testing and get back to us...

;-)

Some equipment has little sound of its own. Products using
high-quality op-amps or transconductance amps tend to be very
slightly soft and sweet-sounding, with no other obvious errors. The
difference is sufficiently small that it is not usually audible
except with very good playback.

On the other hand, the original Sony "digital" preamp was not very
good-sounding. You could plainly hear the difference between input
and output, which was presumably due to the A/D + D/A conversion all
inputs went through.

That was then...

I think that these tests are very relevant in the here and now.

http://www.pcabx.com/product/cardd_deluxe/index.htm

Please take this as my invitation to do better than I have done so far.

Arny Krueger

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

As long as so many people are fighting against bias-controlled
listening tests, the clock can't even start ticking on those ten
years.

You are assuming DBT is bias-controlled. It isn't.

Thanks for proving my point by means of a practical example.

It's possible to do tests that are TRULY bias-controlled, but no one wants

to.

Sure I do, just tell me a practical way to do so.

Scott Dorsey

In article ,
William Sommerwerck wrote:
I'm not holding Stereophile reviews up either. They took the alternate
view completely and relied entirely on subjective listening tests. This is
also reprehensible. You cannot just listen and you cannot just measure.
You have to do both and correlate the two or you are wasting your time.

Although "reprehensible" is too strong a word, you are qualitatively correct.
But nobody wants to go to the trouble of developing truly valid measurements,
because a huge amount of listening and measuring, probably taking the better
part of a decade, would be required.

No, plenty of people are developing valid measurements. The latest in a
grand tradition is Geddes and Lee's papers, _Auditory Perception of Nonlinear
Distortion_, is well worth checking out. It not only shows a distortion
measurement that actually is useful, it shows testing in which they correlate
it with listening tests.

The problem is not developing good measurements that correlate well to hearing.
It's a slow and difficult process, but it's one that has been going on ever
since Sabine and Helmholtz.

The problem is getting people to use them.
Arny Krueger

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

It was, a others have pointed out, Julian Hirsch who was one of the
main contributors to the belief that measurements were meaningless.
How many readers of this posting bought something praised by JH,
only to discover it didn't sound very good?

I've never met one who could prove that under bias-controlled
listening conditions. You are promulgating an old Urban Legend that
is simply just bull****, if you don't mind my saying so.

And Julian Hirsch's ears are the final judge of audio quality? That
if he said something was good (if only by not saying it's bad) it's
good? Come off it, Tom. NO reviewer is that good, or that consistent.

I really have to really wonder about the reading comprehension abilities of
someone who reads "I've never met one..." and talks like they read "Julian
Hirsch".

I ask anyone reading this who had a similar experience to post it.

Obviously, William, you've never seriously investigated www.pcabx.com.

Let me repeat my defining experience...

The TEAC A-450 I purchased did not sound very good. Specifically, it
had a flat (i.e., lacking in depth), "grainy" sound that was once (but
no longer) considered typical of solid-state equipment. No amount of
tweaking the bias for flat response, etc, would fix this.

This seems to have been a common problem with TEAC equipment of that
era, including open-reel machines, something I was not aware of at
the time I bought the A-450. (See, for example, the StereOpus review
of the R-2240 [sic].)

William, maybe you had a bias against teac equipment. Where are any kind of
bias-controlled test results that would shed light on this very real
possibility?

But, quite frankly he seldom "praised" anything. That was what was
so special. His data showed what the product could do and I never
had to sort through a bunch of "this machine takes 3 weeks before it
will bend to your will and let you into it's secret world." poetry
crap.

Hey, Tom... I reviewed for a subjectivist magazine, and I never
pulled crap like that.

Does this isolated piece of opinion really shed any light on Tom's
statement?

Tell us, Tom... When you select equipment for your hi-fi system,
what is the final consideration... How it measures, or how it
sounds?

Nice try at a strawman argument. I expect any electronic piece that
I buy will transport a signal from input to output with complete
transparency (gain if needed; warpage if requested) and measurements
will tell me if a component will do that.

Okay, Tom. Tell me which measurements (type and threshold) guarantee
than an amplifying device will not audibly color the sound. I'm
waiting. [tapping finges impatiently] What are they? This is NOT a
rhetorical question. Tell me. Right now. Inquiring minds want to know.

Keep all kinds of noise, distortion and spurious responses 100 or more dB
down and you've got sonic transparency for sure, or so said Jim Johnson when
he was at AT&T labs.

I can think of two significant measurements (though only one is
readily provable). First, an amplifier should produce nothing other
than second- or third-order harmonics. This is John Curl's design
practice, and as he has an excellent reputation, I'm inclined to
believe it's correct.

He's easy to prove wrong. Add enough second and third nonlinear distortion
and you get audible differences.
http://www.pcabx.com/technical/nonlinear/index.htm .

The second is that an amplifier's frequency
response should not only be flat, but should not vary with the load.

*every* power amps response varies in amounts that are quite easy to measure
given a suitably nasty load. Yet many power amps are sonically transparent
with many speakers.

I find that the beauty of statements like these is in the quantification.

Many tube amps break this rule, and if I were the editor of any
audiophile mag, such amps would get a Not Recommended rating (at
least, for anyone who wants accurate, rather than euphonically
colored, playback).

So do many SS amps, but its obviously a matter of how much and why.

I'm not saying measurements are useless.

But you did.

It's just that nobody has
ever done the really difficult work needed to correlate measurements
with what we hear.

Lots of work has been done and more and more keeps getting clarified.
However just like many people are still fighting the war of bias-controlled
listening tests, many people are fighting the war of Fletcher and Munson in
a Zwicker and Fastl world.

One of the problems I have in attacking the UTTER AND TOTAL
INTELLECTUAL STUPIDITY on both sides of this issue is that I can't
attack or defend either position without painted as being a slavish
adherent to that particular point of view.

I surely can relate to that. So can Tom. How many times have we been accused
of being adherents of the "sameness" or "double deaf" school of thought? Yet
our real-world activities are dominated by trying to find stuff that sounds
different and we often succeed. Do you know how many of the listening tests
at www.pcabx.com develop positive outcomes for audible differences, even
when done in a fairly humble listening environment?

The inability of most
people to reason clearly, and their lack of curiosity and ability to
think critically is appalling.

struggling mightily to be kind

Which is "why" I don't test electronics and concentrate on speakers.
I learned from Julian Hirsch 25 years ago that any reasonably
competent amplifier can do this with no degradation of the 'sound.'

How did you learn this? By what means was this information conveyed?
Because Julian Hirsch SAID SO? Oh, my.

So tell us about your bias-controlled power amp straight wire difference
tests, William. 5 of mine are a matter of public record and can all show
positive results for audible differences.

Even the most modest of amplifiers I've purchased since 1976,
approximately 2 dozen, of which I still own 10, including the first,
have never been shown to
sound different, to me and other enthusiasts (although I haven't
booted the Heath in 18-months) from any of the others, or other
competitive units when compared by the owners, under bias controlled
conditions when not being driven into hard-clipping.

Julian Hirsch knew this and I forever thank him for letting
everybody KNOW this basic true-ism.

You are conveniently overlooking the fact that JH said he DID hear
differences among amps and preamps. Only "they didn't matter."

Isn't there at least a small range of acceptable sound quality that is
associated with
at least a few audible parameters? Or is this a black-and-white world where
everything either sounds a certain way, or is utter sonic garbage?

What kind of intellectual shmuck does that make Hirsch?

In my book that makes him an insightful listener.

(I confess this is
not at all a nice thing to say. If I didn't have the guts to say it
to his face when he was alive -- and I could have, on several
occasions -- what right to have to say it behind his back, when he's
dead?)

Julian Hirsch was a dull, boring person lacking in intellectual
vibrancy or depth. Talking with him was like talking to a piece of
wallboard -- without even peanut butter for flavor.

I've talked to Julian Hirsch in person and listened to him lecture. It was
all fun and all informative. I guess that makes me dull, boring person
lacking in intellectual vibrancy or depth. So be it.

Please tell me... At what point in the evolution of amps and preamps
did they all start sounding alike?

Not all of them, first some, then more, and then...

Are you saying that every preamp
and every power amp made since the hi-fi boom started after WWII
sounds like every other one?

Wow, William is this a rhetorical question or what? BTW, how does it relate
to audio in the 21st century?

And if a division can be made between
"competent" and "incompetent" designs, then tell me the factors that
determine these.

The most important one relates to how it does in a bias-controlled
straight-wire-bypass test with a relevant loudspeaker load.

THIS IS NOT RHETORICAL QUESTION. Tell me.

I'm still waiting to hear about your bias-controlled straight wire bypass
tests of power amps William. When you answer my question, I think you'll
know my answer to yours.

Have you ever heard the Audio Research SP-3, one of the darlings of
the audiophile crowd (25 years ago, at least)? It sounds AWFUL. It is
such a bad-sounding preamp -- so highly colored -- that you can
instantly hear what's wrong with it, without even comparing it with
anything else.

And in the 21st century this means what?

Surely he did. His largest contribution is steadfastly refusing to
'invent' language to describe in-audible sounds. If his work lacked
anything it was an active audio-imagination.

My initials... Do you know utterly stupid that sounds? I'm not
going to waste my time criticizing it.

Good. Because you'll look pretty stupid trying to criticize it. I'll
repeat; one of the best characteristics of Hirsch was his steadfast
resistance to describing the 'sound' of components that had no innate
sound of their own.

What a moronic explanation.

Get back to us when you've done your homework, William. That would be
today's homework not the homework you did 25 years ago.

How did Julian Hirsch KNOW that these components had "no innate
sound" of their own? Tell me! Was it because he believed, a priori,
that they didn't?

Frankly, I don't think that the listening tests that Hirsch did in his salad
days at Stereo Review were as good and sensitive as some of the tests that
Tom and I have done in the past few years.

What method or technique did he use to guarantee the accuracy or
correctness of his listening tests? (This same question can be
applied to every other listener as well, of course.) Tell me, I want
to know.

More relevant, how do we establish the accuracy and correctness of listening
tests we do today?

[...]

Get back to us when you've done your homework, William. This IS the 21st
century and almost everything either of us did 25 years ago w/r/t listening
tests has less than perfect relevance to the decisions we make today.

LeBaron & Alrich

Kurt Riemann wrote:

Rob Adelman wrote:

I am sure there will be some new measurements in the future that tell us
things that can currently not be measured, especially in digital audio.

If I may propose some to the EAS Standatds Committee -

SP-IPQ - ****ty Plug-In Performance Quotient - (scale of 0-100)
URSSCD - Unlistenable Radio Shack Signal Chain Damage (scale of 1-5)

Excellent, except you forgot the minus sign ahead of the scale values.
Postive numbers shall not be used for those factors.

IWA - Irritating When Audible (Pass / Fail)

Excellent.

Just a start.

But a grand one, indeed.

--
ha
S O'Neill

I was too. Specs were pretty *marketable* in those days. The tests they came
up with were pretty amazing, too: you gotta cook it for what, four hours at half
power, then measure full power for half an hour? I've forgotten the details,
but the test procedures became pretty rigorous.

I wonder why they let computer speaker manufacturers get away with "150-watt
speakers" powered by a 15-watt wall wart. Maybe its Instantaneous Peak Music
Power (IPMP), one channel driven into a shorted load which destroys the amp
after they get the measurement, then multiply by two to predict the power with
both channels driven. I guess because it's not "stereo equipment".

Dave wrote:

"S O'Neill" wrote

I read an article of his that inflated a two-watt power amp into a

200-watt amp,

to illustrate why the FTC had to step in and define the way testing would

be done.

Jeez, I was in high school when I read that article! You gotta love the
"wiggle room" that IPP (Instantaneous Peak Power) gave the marketing
department! There certainly were some shameless claims back then.

dave

John Atkinson

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote...
Reviews of indifferent products were written to avoid saying
anything obviously embarrassing.

I'd like to see some impartial evidence of that.

Well, how about one of Julian Hirsch's own reviews?

I see no evidence of objectivity or impartiality. Just another anecdote
based purely on opinions with unknown basis.

It's unfair to blame Julian for this, IMO. At the 1990 "Sound of Audio"
AES Conference, as thwich I was a panelist, Larry Klein, who was for many
years Stereo Review's Techical Editor, addressed this point directly. LK
would discuss the wording of Julian's reviews with the manufacturers, to
resolve any issues they might have with Julian's findings. If no common
ground could be reached, then the review would be spiked. All this from LK
in person!

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile
Nousaine

"William Sommerwerck" wrote:

It was, a others have pointed out, Julian Hirsch who was one of the main
contributors to the belief that measurements were meaningless. How many
readers of this posting bought something praised by JH, only to discover
it didn't sound very good?

I've never met one who could prove that under bias-controlled listening
conditions. You are promulgating an old Urban Legend that is simply just
bull****, if you don't mind my saying so.

And Julian Hirsch's ears are the final judge of audio quality? That if he
said
something was good (if only by not saying it's bad) it's good? Come off it,
Tom.
NO reviewer is that good, or that consistent.

Why wouldn't they be? But he didn't feel the need to shower flowery language on
an amplifier that would transport a signal from input to output without
degradation.

I ask anyone reading this who had a similar experience to post it. Let me
repeat
my defining experience...

The TEAC A-450 I purchased did not sound very good. Specifically, it had a
flat
(ie, lacking in depth), "grainy" sound that was once (but no longer)
considered
typical of solid-state equipment. No amount of tweaking the bias for flat
response, etc, would fix this.

This seems to have been a common problem with TEAC equipment of that era,
including open-reel machines, something I was not aware of at the time I
bought
the A-450. (See, for example, the StereOpus review of the R-2240 [sic].)

So you didn't like that tape recorder? So what? Did it fail to meet the
criteria that Hirsch said it had? How did he 'describe' it's sonics?

But, quite frankly he seldom "praised" anything. That was what was so

special.
His data showed what the product could do and I never had to sort through a
bunch of "this machine takes 3 weeks before it will bend to your will and

let
you into it's secret world." poetry crap.

Hey, Tom... I reviewed for a subjectivist magazine, and I never pulled crap
like
that.

You mayhave been one of the few. Good for you. Others weren't so kind.

Tell us, Tom... When you select equipment for your hi-fi system, what is

the
final consideration... How it measures, or how it sounds?

Nice try at a strawman argument. I expect any electronic piece that I buy

will
transport a signal from input to output with complete transparency (gain if
needed; warpage if requested) and measurements will tell me if a component
will do that.

Okay, Tom. Tell me which measurements (type and threshold) guarantee than an
amplifying device will not audibly color the sound. I'm waiting. [tapping
finges
impatiently] What are they? This is NOT a rhetorical question. Tell me. Right
now. Inquiring minds want to know.

Flat output over audio band (+/- 0.2 dB); no more than 1% clipping into load.

I can think of two significant measurements (though only one is readily
provable). First, an amplifier should produce nothing other than second- or
third-order harmonics. This is John Curl's design practice, and as he has an
excellent reputation, I'm inclined to believe it's correct. The second is
that
an amplifier's frequency response should not only be flat, but should not
vary
with the load. Many tube amps break this rule, and if I were the editor of
any
audiophile mag, such amps would get a Not Recommended rating (at least, for
anyone who wants accurate, rather than euphonically colored, playback).

But you're not and such un-controlled equalizers are often "recommended" in
some quarters.

I'm not saying measurements are useless. It's just that nobody has ever done
the
really difficult work needed to correlate measurements with what we hear.

Sure they have. Most of the necessary work was done in telecommunications well
before audio was even a hobby.

One of the problems I have in attacking the UTTER AND TOTAL INTELLECTUAL
STUPIDITY on both sides of this issue is that I can't attack or defend either
position without painted as being a slavish adherent to that particular point
of
view. The inability of most people to reason clearly, and their lack of
curiosity and ability to think critically is appalling.

Which is "why" I don't test electronics and concentrate on speakers. I

learned
from Julian Hirsch 25 years ago that any reasonably competent amplifier can
do this with no degradation of the 'sound.'

How did you learn this? By what means was this information conveyed? Because
Julian Hirsch SAID SO? Oh, my.

No; because he used his practiced ears and because he (and others) used bias
controlled listening tests to find the truth about this matter.

Listening that could be, and has been, verified time and again. Unlike
subjectivists who regularly claim 'audibility' of products that have no innate
sound of their own.

I bought 2 such devices (appeared on a certain recommended component list) and
found they sounded exactly like the other half-dozen amplifiers I owned at the
time. I later found that it also sounded exactly like an aftermarket autosound
amplifier made by Adcom.

My results have been verified by other enthusasts as well.

[...]

Your entitled to that opinion. But it shows how intellectually lacking you
might be.

Please tell me... At what point in the evolution of amps and preamps did they
all start sounding alike? Are you saying that every preamp and every power
amp
made since the hi-fi boom started after WWII sounds like every other one? And
if
a division can be made between "competent" and "incompetent" designs, then
tell
me the factors that determine these.

Again, nice strawman try. I don't know "when" amplifiers became good enough to
transport a signal from input to output with transparency but I do know that my
1976 Heathkit AA-1640 could do that.

Have people made bad-sounding amplifiers after 1976? I suppose they have, but
I've never found one that didn't meet basic criteria and to be 'audible' by
enthusiasts when even moderate bias controls were implemented.

THIS IS NOT RHETORICAL QUESTION. Tell me.

Have you ever heard the Audio Research SP-3, one of the darlings of the
audiophile crowd (25 years ago, at least)? It sounds AWFUL. It is such a
bad-sounding preamp -- so highly colored -- that you can instantly hear
what's
wrong with it, without even comparing it with anything else.

I'm sure that if there are incompetent designs 'out there' they would most
certainly appear with a high-end brand name and be Recommended by
Subjectivists.

When I examined a Hirsch amplifier review I knew from his comments and
measurments whether that device was an ampliifer or a hidden-equalizer.

Surely he did. His largest contributiuon is steadfastly refusing to
'invent' language to describe in-audible sounds. If his work lacked
anything it was an active audio-imagination.

My initials... Do you know utterly stupid that sounds? I'm not going to

waste
my time criticizing it.

Good. Because you'll look pretty stupid trying to criticize it. I'll

repeat;
one of the best characteristics of Hirsch was his steadfast reistance to
describing the 'sound' of components that had no innate sound of their own.

What a moronic explanation.

How did Julian Hirsch KNOW that these components had "no innate sound" of
their
own? Tell me! Was it because he believed, a priori, that they didn't?

Controlled listening tests, for Pete's Sake. You should try them sometime.

What method or technique did he use to guarantee the accuracy or correctness
of
his listening tests? (This same question can be applied to every other
listener
as well, of course.) Tell me, I want to know.

Bias controlled listening.

The most damning thing you can say about JH was said by him, himself.
He once said that he heard differences among electronic components,
but "they didn't matter."

Then what the ****ing HELL is the point of reviewing the equipment?
To confirm that it meets its specs? Jesus H. Christ.

What the hell is the point of reviewing "components" that have no intrinsic
sound of their own in sonic terms?

By what proof? Julian Hirsch's word? Is he the Aristotle of audio? I guess,
then, that heavier objects fall faster than light ones, right?

Only in the subjective world of audio. I have a good friend who describes an
"audiophile" as someone who pretend to "hear" IN-audible differences.

Mr. Nousaine, your inability to reason clearly is startling. You need to
speak
with someone whose intelligence you respect -- preferably someone who is NOT
an
audiophile -- to explain the errors in your reasoning.

Thank you. I'll be sure not to listen to your account of things.

Until a manufacturer, reviewer, seller or enthusiast shows that they can

"hear"
the sound of nominally competent amps/cables, even their own... Why should
we listen to the bull****?
Julian Hirsch put the lie to audio poetry thirty years ago. Thank Goodness.
Bless him.
Whenever YOU're willing to show that YOU can 'hear' audio Urban Legends in
public let us know at the earliest opportunity.

I've got a better offer -- a much better one. Let me pick out some
bad-sounding
equipment, and in a blind listening test, you demonstrate to me that you
DON'T
hear a difference.

Go for it.

Jerry Steiger

"Marc Wielage" wrote in message
There was a time during the 1970s when Hirsch practically perfected the

art
of writing reviews where there would be thinly-veiled criticisms of

certain
products (particularly speakers), but you had to really look between the
lines to see what he was really saying.

I think you hit on the correct analysis here. Think of Julian Hirsch as an
American engineering version of Dmitri Shostakovich.

Jerry Steiger

William Sommerwerck

There was a time during the 1970s when Hirsch practically perfected
the art of writing reviews where there would be thinly-veiled criticisms
of certain products (particularly speakers), but you had to really look
between the lines to see what he was really saying.

I think you hit on the correct analysis here. Think of Julian Hirsch as an
American engineering version of Dmitri Shostakovich.

The E-V review I mentioned was an excellent example. But "thinly veiled"? Come
on. It was as plain as a custard pie on a clown's face.

Peter Larsen

William Sommerwerck wrote:

Julian Hirsch, an electrical engineer and writer who was among the first
to help a growing audience of audiophiles sort through the good, the bad
and the indifferent in electronic sound equipment, died on Nov. 24 in
the Bronx. He was 81 and lived in New Rochelle, N.Y.

He did nothing of the sort. Reviews of bad products were suppressed or never
written in the first place. Reviews of indifferent products were written to
avoid saying anything obviously embarrassing.

From what I recall having read of his work I disagree. I found his
writing style informative, clear and helpful and with a reasonable focus
on verifiable facts, time and magazine style considered. Yes, whatever
magazine it was I read him in - and I plain can not remember - did have
a "popular focus" rather than a scientific or audiophilistic one, and he
did a good job of writing within their style, but I don't think he
misrepresented facts. Perhaps he simply respected and trusted his
readers.

Like most reviewers -- including a big percentage of "underground" reviewers --
Julian Hirsch did little or nothing to advance either audio criticism or the
audio art itself.

I disagree. And he also had a nice, terse sense of humour. Some may
recall his testing of whether a subwoofer as claimed would handle being
connected to US mains power. "The result was a very loud noise".

Kind regards

Peter Larsen