Darrell Klein

Default MXL 603s life expectancy

I am a very big fan of these cheap suckers and have used a pair for
drum overheads and one for side snare.

Last night I found that one of my three has very recently developed
significantly lower output than the other two. These mic's are all
about three years old, never out of my smoke-free studio, and never
subject to any abuse, not even a single drop. Always covered when not
in use. The one that went "bad" was being used as an overhead, not on
the snare.

Anyone else with similar experience?
Tim Harbin

Sorry about the double post. This is my first time posting here at RAP
and I missed the part about it taking up to 9 hours for the post to
appear on the thread.

Back to the mic…
Now that I think of it, you can't remove the capsule – you have to
take the mic apart to get to the spring-loaded post. It's really no
big deal but if you're uncomfortable doing this, then follow Mike's
advice and send it back to Marshall. I'm sure they'll take care of it.