xy

Default what does this spec mean?

Sensitivity @ 1m/2.83V
96dB

Westlake gave this as a sensitivity spec on one of their speakers. i
don't know what it means, or what a good number would be. i know a
frequency response of 20-20khz +/- 0.1db is a good spec for a preamp,
but i don't know how to read a monitor sensitivity spec.
Scott Dorsey

xy wrote:
Sensitivity @ 1m/2.83V
96dB

Westlake gave this as a sensitivity spec on one of their speakers. i
don't know what it means, or what a good number would be. i know a
frequency response of 20-20khz +/- 0.1db is a good spec for a preamp,
but i don't know how to read a monitor sensitivity spec.

That means if you put 2.83V into them, at one meter distance you will get
96 dB SPL of output.

Normally speakers are measured in dB SPL at one meter with one watt.
Since W=V^2/R, you know that 2.83V is the voltage you get with one watt
going into an eight-ohm load. So if you assume the speaker really is
eight ohms at the frequency they measured it at, you can use this for
comparison purposes.

This tells you how big an amp you need to get a given output level.

Pooh Bear

Scott Dorsey wrote:

xy wrote:
Sensitivity @ 1m/2.83V
96dB

Westlake gave this as a sensitivity spec on one of their speakers. i
don't know what it means, or what a good number would be. i know a
frequency response of 20-20khz +/- 0.1db is a good spec for a preamp,
but i don't know how to read a monitor sensitivity spec.

That means if you put 2.83V into them, at one meter distance you will get
96 dB SPL of output.

Normally speakers are measured in dB SPL at one meter with one watt.
Since W=V^2/R, you know that 2.83V is the voltage you get with one watt
going into an eight-ohm load. So if you assume the speaker really is
eight ohms at the frequency they measured it at, you can use this for
comparison purposes.

This tells you how big an amp you need to get a given output level.

Since someone has brought this subject up, may I ask if anyone can confirm
what I recently heard.

Sure, speaker sensitivity has traditionally been measured @ 1W @ 1m. Which is
indeed 2.83V for an 8 ohm load.

Of course, speakers don't have constant impedance, it's a nominal figure. So
it made sense to actually say 2.83V rather than 1W, at least when referring to
8 Ohm nominal cabinets / units, as speakers are voltage driven.

Lately I heard that some unscrupulous manufacturers were using the 2.83V
'standard' also when measuring 4 ohm units, thereby gaining artifically an
extra 3dB on the sensitivity figure.

Any comments ?

Graham

P Stamler

Lately I heard that some unscrupulous manufacturers were using the 2.83V
'standard' also when measuring 4 ohm units, thereby gaining artifically an
extra 3dB on the sensitivity figure.

Any comments?

I don't see what's unscrupulous about it; the data this spec yields are useful.
If I have two speakers, one 4 ohms and one 8 ohms, both rated at the same
sensitivity (say 92dB at 1 meter, 2.82 V), then they'll play at the same volume
for a given setting of the control room pot. That's useful to know.

It's also useful for the consumer to notice that this is the equivalent of 2W
(well, more or less, since the impedance isn't constant) and do your amp-needed
calculations accordingly.

Peace,
Paul
Scott Dorsey

Pooh Bear wrote:
Since someone has brought this subject up, may I ask if anyone can confirm
what I recently heard.

Sure, speaker sensitivity has traditionally been measured @ 1W @ 1m. Which is
indeed 2.83V for an 8 ohm load.

Of course, speakers don't have constant impedance, it's a nominal figure. So
it made sense to actually say 2.83V rather than 1W, at least when referring to
8 Ohm nominal cabinets / units, as speakers are voltage driven.

Right. And we usually tend to make sensitivity measurements at 1 KC, and
most 8 ohm nominal systems tend to be around 8 ohms at 1 KC, so that seems
respectable.

Lately I heard that some unscrupulous manufacturers were using the 2.83V
'standard' also when measuring 4 ohm units, thereby gaining artifically an
extra 3dB on the sensitivity figure.

Any comments ?

I haven't seen that yet, but I wouldn't put it past anyone. There is an
amazing amount of specsmanship that goes on in the consumer audio world.

Ever seen a data sheet with a waterfall plot? You won't.