bengineer

Default analog tape baking

Anyone out there have experience baking Ampex tape. How long/what temp for
2"

bengineer

John Noll

bengineer wrote:
Anyone out there have experience baking Ampex tape. How long/what temp for
2"

bengineer

Baked a reel of 456 a couple of days ago.
130 degrees for 8 hours then 8 hours to cool.
Played flawlessly.
JN

Stephen Anderson

The standard we used at Capitol Studios, where I worked for 5 years, was
135 deg. F., 12 hrs for 2" 10 hrs for 1", 8 for 1/2" & 1/4".

Depending on original condition, the effects of baking could last for as
little as a few hours, to a few days. Bottom line is, not too hot, and
SLOW! We finally bought a $5k scientific oven, with digital temp
control, charting capabilities, etc. But a good toaster oven that goes
low enough is OK. Buy a separate thermometer, don't depend on the dial
on the oven. And no moisture, the intent is to dry the binder (glue).

bengineer wrote:
Anyone out there have experience baking Ampex tape. How long/what temp for
2"

bengineer

Scott Dorsey

bengineer wrote:
Anyone out there have experience baking Ampex tape. How long/what temp for
2"

www.tangible-technology has a good article from Eddie Ciletti about using
a food dehydrator. www.josephson.com has somewhere an article on using
convection ovens.

David Antony Clark

FWIW I regulary bake 1/2 & 1/4 inch 456 in an old kitchen oven with
the aid of a small themometer. I try and keep it at 50 degrees Celsius
(whatever that is in American) with regualar checking, and usually can
play the tape after 3 - 4 hours. I don't bother cooling it. If for any
reason it's still gunky, I'll stick it back in for another 3 hours.
Works well.
Good luck
Cheers
David