Andy Eng

Default Sanity Check - First

Never tackled a job this large, having lots of fun, been using this NG
alot for info, have an end-of-the-year deadline, and need to live
under $4000 of other peoples money.

I pulled out from the earlier attempts to score an Echo Layla because
of my AMD/Via Chipset but about ready to take the plunge again with a
Wintel machine (prolly a Dell) with two Laylas.

One of the Laylas will be loaded with 8 - 1/4" line-ins tapped from
the unbalanced outs of a Behringer DI-8000. The guitars, piano and
drums will line into the DI-8000 and the snake/mixer gets the balanced
outs from the DI-8000.

The second Layla gets connected to an ADAT lightpipe from a Behringer
ADA8000. Vocal and instrument mics will get plugged into the ADA8000
and the balanced outs go into the snake/mixer though I may send them
to a second DI-8000 to have ground lifting features for insurance then
to the snake/mixer. Is this second DI-8000 a good idea or in the way?

Anything fatal so far?!?!?!

I've allocated $ for an interior quality rack that will allow for some
growth and thrown in some $ for cables.

One thing I'm sort of stumped at now is the power distribution.

Oh yeah, the goal is to tap into an existing system for recording such
that the recording equipment and PA amps are the FOH and the mixer is
ROH.

Comments, tips, horror stories, jokes appreciated.

Thanks!
Andy