Peter Campbell

Default Should we use this studio again?

At the moment I am thinking yes! My band recorded a couple of songs at this
new studio and we're all happy with the outcome but I've decided to ask you,
the experts, what you think of the quality of this recording. This may
sound like spam, it's not, but a critique of the song's production would be
welcome.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/retrostarmusic.htm

Mike

"Peter Campbell" wrote in
:

At the moment I am thinking yes! My band recorded a couple of songs
at this new studio and we're all happy with the outcome but I've
decided to ask you, the experts, what you think of the quality of this
recording. This may sound like spam, it's not, but a critique of the
song's production would be welcome.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/retrostarmusic.htm

Well I can only get the low quality MP3 to play, but my first thought was -
didn't anyone point out how out of tune the chorused guitar is on the
intro. Other than that, it sounds like a very basic 8-track recording.
Peter Campbell

"Mike" wrote in message
"Peter Campbell" wrote in
:

At the moment I am thinking yes! My band recorded a couple of songs
at this new studio and we're all happy with the outcome but I've
decided to ask you, the experts, what you think of the quality of this
recording. This may sound like spam, it's not, but a critique of the
song's production would be welcome.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/retrostarmusic.htm

Well I can only get the low quality MP3 to play, but my first thought

was -
didn't anyone point out how out of tune the chorused guitar is on the
intro. Other than that, it sounds like a very basic 8-track recording.

Admittedly, the lo-fi version is of very poor quality. I've just tested it
there - the hi-fi version is also working. Are you on broadband?

Anyway, are you saying the guitar itself is out of tune or the chorus effect
is out of tune? I've listened to it again and I'm trying to hear anything
out of tune but I can't, but I would say that! :-)

BLCKOUT420

Agreed, sounds like an 8 track demo with no production. If you're happy, we're
happy.
Mike

"Peter Campbell" wrote in
:

Admittedly, the lo-fi version is of very poor quality. I've just
tested it there - the hi-fi version is also working. Are you on
broadband?

Yes, it just kills my media player, I'll reinstall it.

Anyway, are you saying the guitar itself is out of tune or the chorus
effect is out of tune? I've listened to it again and I'm trying to
hear anything out of tune but I can't, but I would say that! :-)

Picked part sounds OK, when the chord is strummed it sounds horribly out of
tune to me, not the fault of the chorus.

John Washburn

"Peter Campbell" wrote:

At the moment I am thinking yes! My band recorded a couple of songs at

this
new studio and we're all happy with the outcome but I've decided to ask

you,
the experts, what you think of the quality of this recording. This may
sound like spam, it's not, but a critique of the song's production would

be
welcome.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/retrostarmusic.htm

At the risk of sounding like a git, if you guys are happy, then that's
really what matters. Whether the recording is good enough for what you need
it to do, is a different question which is dependant on the goals of project
(ie: how would,say, Nickleback approach making a recording vs. Tom Waits or
even Paul Westerberg?).

That said, I think it's really hard to evaluate whether a recording relects
well on the recordist without knowing particulars of the situation. If an
"okay" recording is produced from a given session, that could be a miracle
or a failure depending on all sorts of factors outside of the immediate
control of the recordist.

In any case, good luck with the project!

-jw

John L Rice

They might want to fix the out of tune vocals too. While it may be Ok for a
demo ( I think the energy is good ) I'd like to hear the guitars sound
fuller, the bass a little more prominent, the snare just a hair less and the
overall blend/balance between instruments/vocals 'gel' better ( it sounds
too much like individual tracks roughly added together instead of a band
playing together. ) The guitar solo is a little to up front also.

Just all my own quick opinion. Keep up the hard work!

John L Rice

John L Rice

"Jack" wrote in message
The guitar tuning problem ruins the song completely. Do it again.

Jack

"Peter Campbell" wrote in message
At the moment I am thinking yes! My band recorded a couple of songs at

this
new studio and we're all happy with the outcome but I've decided to ask

you,
the experts, what you think of the quality of this recording. This may
sound like spam, it's not, but a critique of the song's production would

be
welcome.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/retrostarmusic.htm

Justin Ulysses Morse

The guitar's not out of tune. Apparently the chord you're playing is
too exotic for Mike. It sounds fine. I like the part. The guitar
tone sucks, and the chorus is very tasteless and dated sounding, but
that's your business. If you like it, good for you. If you want other
people to listen to it, I'd ditch the cheezy floor-computer guitar
sound and buy a guitar amp.

ulysses

In article , Mike
wrote:

"Peter Campbell" wrote in
:

At the moment I am thinking yes! My band recorded a couple of songs
at this new studio and we're all happy with the outcome but I've
decided to ask you, the experts, what you think of the quality of this
recording. This may sound like spam, it's not, but a critique of the
song's production would be welcome.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/retrostarmusic.htm

Well I can only get the low quality MP3 to play, but my first thought was -
didn't anyone point out how out of tune the chorused guitar is on the
intro. Other than that, it sounds like a very basic 8-track recording.

ar3a

"Justin Ulysses Morse" wrote in message
m...
The guitar's not out of tune. Apparently the chord you're playing is
too exotic for Mike. It sounds fine. I like the part. The guitar
tone sucks, and the chorus is very tasteless and dated sounding, but
that's your business. If you like it, good for you. If you want other
people to listen to it, I'd ditch the cheezy floor-computer guitar
sound and buy a guitar amp.

Are you serious? It's absolutely out of tune.

WillStG

"Peter Campbell"
My band recorded a couple of songs at this
new studio and we're all happy with the outcome but I've decided to ask
you,
the experts, what you think of the quality of this recording.

Umm - "Should we use this studio again"? Wrong question. How can we
improve our result the next time out? Better question. If you suck it's not
actually the studio's fault, unless you're paying them to produce you. If
you're not and you are it's your fault, but if you are and they are you get
what you pay for.

Capice? g

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Off the Morning Show! & sleepin' In... / Fox News

Roger W. Norman

Well, overall and without bringing the music being played into the
assessment, I can imagine that you guys walked in there ready to do some
playing and somewhat weren't prepared to get sounds, and you accomplished
it. Now I could be wrong, but what indicates it to me is the drum sound,
which is comprised mostly of a dull thud and a snare that's had the same
head on it for 6 months. The strainers aren't tight enough (for me) and it
needs tuning. Your engineer should be given enough time to point these
things out to you, but largely most small studios are making the assumption
that if you're in a hurry to play, you're already used to your equipment's
sound. It's sometimes very hard for an engineer to get a band to settle
down and spend the time getting sounds, changing heads, changing strings and
setting intonation, etc., but it's a very important part of the recording
process, and one that should be paid attention to if you want to really
represent your music.

Now please recognize that I'm in both of your corners at the same time. An
engineer can only do so much, and a band that walks in ready to play is an
advantage as opposed to one that's not practiced, not well equipped or
doesn't know what tuning means. So, if you decide to use this studio again,
talk to the engineer and ask him what simple steps are necessary to bring
the level of the recording up from the garage band sound to a recorded
sound. He may have alternatives right there in the studio, like a different
snare or kit that sounds better. Or a vintage amp that happens to work
better on a particular song, but not on all the songs. Work hand in hand
with the engineer and be open to his suggestions. Also be aware that I'm
not asking you to let the engineer make your sound for you. That's your
part of the equation, but once you establish a real working relationship
with an engineer, he's going to be able to help you realize your musical
ambitions much easier.

And also please recognize that doing the above will cost you more money.
It's not the engineer's responsibility to go that extra mile for you without
the inherent cost of the additional time to make certain those drums snap
and whomp rather than sound like card board boxes. And it's not a situation
where the whole process stops the minute you guys put your guitars into the
case and get ready to walk, because that's just the beginning of a well done
recording.

Also be aware that the above has nothing to do specifically with this
engineer or this recording studio. It applies to all of them, and by
default also applies to this one. Whether you choose to go back to this one
or not, the same things would be what you should do for the next sessions.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Peter Campbell" wrote in message
"Mike" wrote in message
"Peter Campbell" wrote in
:

[...]

Roger W. Norman

What? The drums need more work than the guitar, as far as getting sounds.

My bet is the guitar is a jumbo fretted instrument being white knuckled to
death rather than being played reasonably comfortable in the studio. I
don't believe it's out of tune. I think it's being played out of tune.

But those drums, sheesh. I hear the thud, but where's the beater click? I
rather think it's back somewhere around when the kick head was new. Same
for the snare. Good try at the "Commitments" sound, but severely lacking in
what one would call "snap" from a well tuned snare with new heads, and maybe
new strainers. It also sounds like the strainer head is about a full note
different than the batter head, giving an implied resonance.

But I don't attribute these as problems of the studio or the engineer.
Overall the recording has the correct balance and image. But you need to be
able to appreciate the image.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
Purchase your copy of the Fifth of RAP CD set at www.recaudiopro.net.
See how far $20 really goes.

"John" wrote in message
Yeah, the guitar being out of tune really does hurt the song. For me it's

distraction. Justin, listen to it again man.. It's out. I like the

drums,
but the snare is maybe a tad loud.

From: Mike

"ar3a" wrote in news:3Pcyb.59119$Ek.46857
:

"Justin Ulysses Morse" wrote in message
m...
The guitar's not out of tune. Apparently the chord you're playing is
too exotic for Mike. It sounds fine. I like the part. The guitar
tone sucks, and the chorus is very tasteless and dated sounding, but
that's your business. If you like it, good for you. If you want

other
people to listen to it, I'd ditch the cheezy floor-computer guitar
sound and buy a guitar amp.

Are you serious? It's absolutely out of tune.

Horribly.

-John Vice
www.summertimestudios.com

Your Add Here!

Without having heard the song, but after reading comments, I would
think twice about using a studio that allows out of tune guitars in
the mix. That being said, I don't know what they had to deal with
their client, so maybe they did the best they could. Out of tune
instruments is unacceptable these days. Poor playing is another story.
Scott Dorsey

In article ,
Your Add Here! wrote:
Without having heard the song, but after reading comments, I would
think twice about using a studio that allows out of tune guitars in
the mix. That being said, I don't know what they had to deal with
their client, so maybe they did the best they could. Out of tune
instruments is unacceptable these days. Poor playing is another story.

Sorry, I am an engineer, not a producer.
steve

Have you listened to mixes of other bands recorded at this studio?
Better/same/worse? How about other studio's work? In all fairness, it
sounds like someones basement/garage studio, not what I would expect
from a professional studio, even as a rough mix.

Peter Campbell wrote:

At the moment I am thinking yes! My band recorded a couple of songs at this
new studio and we're all happy with the outcome but I've decided to ask you,
the experts, what you think of the quality of this recording. This may
sound like spam, it's not, but a critique of the song's production would be
welcome.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/retrostarmusic.htm

Peter Campbell

"Roger W. Norman" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for all your help Roger. I'll be sure to circulate this with the
rest of the band. I think I speak for all of us when I say we're all quite
new to it.

david

In article , Scott Dorsey

Your Add Here! wrote:
Without having heard the song, but after reading comments, I would
think twice about using a studio that allows out of tune guitars in
the mix. That being said, I don't know what they had to deal with
their client, so maybe they did the best they could. Out of tune
instruments is unacceptable these days. Poor playing is another story.

Sorry, I am an engineer, not a producer.

If I was the engineer while it was getting recorded I woulda said "the
guitar's out" and then go and get one of our tuners and hand it to the
guitar player with a smile. And then give the band a spiel that a rock
band is like an orchestra in that it derives additional power and
majesty by everyone being in tune. (Duh!)

If the guitar itself needs work, have the guitar player borrow one or
get it fixed for the next session. If they are printing basic tracks
then his are scratch tracks.

Because of our rates I don't have to deal with gross stuff, but more
subtle stuff, especially for nice acoustic stuff where ringing strings
from multiple instruments need to live happily together. Remember, crap
in crap out. If you want your mixes to sound good, good tuning is a
first step.

I emphasize in our recording classes that tuning and good headphones
mixes are two sometimes overlooked essentials of good recording
technique.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

www.CelebrationSound.com
Peter Campbell

"david" wrote in message
In article , Scott Dorsey

Your Add Here! wrote:
[...]

Honestly, we DID tune our guitars! The guy did say to us if he thought it
sounded out. I remember going to the studio tuner (which all the guitar
players used) about half a dozen times when it came to my turn to do my bit.

R Krizman

First of all, you should never need to apologise for asking someone to check
their tuning. They should thank you, do it, and move on. It just isn't an
issue in my book. No need to dance around it, sugarcoat it, or give it any
more than the brief iota of attention it deserves. If any musician cops an
attitude about it you are welcome to simply ignore them and move on.

I think "tune it or die" sums it up and has about all the tact the issue
requires.

That being said, just because a guitar is in tune doesn't mean it will be
played in tune.

-R

BLCKOUT420

I think the basic problem all boils to a zero production effort. You practiced
the song live, went in and played it just like you do live, the engineer
probably took the perspective that he's just recording it, not producing it,
you were in and out fast, and he made his money, and you have a demo of the
song. Now you can look at the song from a producers standpoint, decide oohs and
ahhs sound good here, maybe another guitar part, a tamborine, whatever. You
can listen to the quality of the sound, (decide that floor computer pedal board
must go!),listen to the drums and decide what can be done to improve the
sound. This is why people have producers, because they hear these things. And
self producing yourself when you are green is usually-well, you just
experienced it. Writing and performing live is one thing;crafting a well
produced studio effort is another. And maybe your engineer would be willing to
give you some ideas if you ask him. Nobody wants to step on any body's toes,
and I know most of the time when people come into my studio for something
really fast in and out, I don't say much unless its a glaring mistake, an out
of tune guitar, or a flat note in the vocal. When groups come in to do a cd and
book a significant amount of time, I get much more involved in the project,
because my name is going to be on the cd, and I also get to know everyone
involved and what the concept is going to be.When the group is spending a lot
of time in the studio, and I know what they are trying to do, I am much more
comfortable throwing in my two cents.

Try listening to some finished product the studio has turned out.And see what
you think of the studio's work then.
Best of luck!
Tom Hartman

Peter Campbell wrote:

At the moment I am thinking yes! My band recorded a couple of songs at this
new studio and we're all happy with the outcome but I've decided to ask you,
the experts, what you think of the quality of this recording. This may
sound like spam, it's not, but a critique of the song's production would be
welcome.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/retrostarmusic.htm

1 The guitar is out of tune

2 I cannot believe this thread has gone on this long arguing over
whether the guitar is out of tune

3 There is no such thing as a dated guitar sound. You guys are not
listening to modern music anymore.....anything goes now.

4 The "sound" of the studio is fine. The sound of the mp3 is not.

5 Worry more about the songwriting than the sound of the studio.

JMHO
Your Add Here!

"Audio" engineer, right?

Sorry, I am an engineer, not a producer.

Roger W. Norman

Well, excuse this because it's "prissy" sounding, but you obviously don't
know what the difference of being an engineer and not say anything and being
a producer, who's job it IS to say something.

Each and every one of us has to be on the job, in that situation with those
people to be able to make a call about how we'd want to handle it. And each
and every one of us would come up with some small or large difference in how
we'd handle it so as to negate any reasonable information to the OP.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Your Add Here!" wrote in message
om...
Without having heard the song, but after reading comments, I would
think twice about using a studio that allows out of tune guitars in
the mix. That being said, I don't know what they had to deal with
their client, so maybe they did the best they could. Out of tune
instruments is unacceptable these days. Poor playing is another story.

Roger W. Norman

Peter Campbell" wrote in message
Honestly, we DID tune our guitars! The guy did say to us if he thought it
sounded out. I remember going to the studio tuner (which all the guitar
players used) about half a dozen times when it came to my turn to do my

bit.

OK, so now that I've got you specifically, do you have jumbo frets on the
guitar you were using? And did your hand feel overly tired after you'd do a
track? My guess is that you were playing the darned thing too hard trying
to get all the nuances you'd played when you were practicing. I know it's
hard to have a light touch on a guitar fretboard, but I also know that any
guitar can be in tune and played out of tune if someone is clutching the
thing like they are squeezing their ex-wife's neck.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
RAP FAQ and Purchase your copy of the Fifth of RAP CD set at
www.recaudiopro.net.
See how far $20 really goes.

"

Roger W. Norman

You make too many assumptions. The song may not be right like it is, but it
may be a good song. Perhaps you meant arrangement. You can't argue that
anything goes now and not have it mean stupid repetitive stuff that anyone
with a brain would want to get away from as soon as possible. I've heard
better songs, but then I've heard songs that should never have been and
they've done well. Particularly songs that have used samples of other
songs. Don't knock original music because you think it's bad. Be positive
and offer ways it could be better.

And the guitar is not out of tune. It is being played out of tune because
of the chording hand of the player. Open notes on the chorus beat are in
tune. I can SEE his fingers not doing the job right.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
RAP FAQ and Purchase your copy of the Fifth of RAP CD set at
www.recaudiopro.net.
See how far $20 really goes.

"Tom Hartman" wrote in message
om...

Peter Campbell wrote:

[...]

S O'Neill

Roger W. Norman wrote:
And the guitar is not out of tune. It is being played out of tune because
of the chording hand of the player. Open notes on the chorus beat are in
tune. I can SEE his fingers not doing the job right.

Exactly. The G string is going sharp in the IV chord, when it's playing the
third*. Caused by slinky gauge strings and a high nut and/or too much pressure.
A guitar for this purpose should be *properly* set up, perhaps with mediums or
heavies anyway, and they never are.

*since the equally-tempered third is already 13 cents sharp from pythagorean,
this is the worst offender.

Peter Campbell

[...]

It sounds like you've hit the nail on the head. When I was recording I had
to go over and over a bit several times until I got it. I was getting
uptight. I'm given to understand that it was the opening bars of the song
that sound out of tune. That wasn't me who played them. By the way, in
answer to someone else, these aren't exotic chords. It was C F C F!

Peter Campbell

"S O'Neill" wrote in message

Roger W. Norman wrote:
And the guitar is not out of tune. It is being played out of tune

because
of the chording hand of the player. Open notes on the chorus beat are

in
tune. I can SEE his fingers not doing the job right.

Exactly. The G string is going sharp in the IV chord, when it's playing

the
third*. Caused by slinky gauge strings and a high nut and/or too much

pressure.
A guitar for this purpose should be *properly* set up, perhaps with

mediums or
heavies anyway, and they never are.

*since the equally-tempered third is already 13 cents sharp from

pythagorean,
this is the worst offender.

Why is it always the "G string"? It's like when you snap one and go to the
shop for another, and you have to ask for a "G string". Same with when I
tell the other guitarist that his "G string" was out!

Vladan

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 18:58:47 GMT, david wrote:

If the guitar itself needs work, have the guitar player borrow one or
get it fixed for the next session.

Except ther's no next session. The band's in. You give them the tuner.
They play the best they can for 4 hours. If they don't care about
their tuning enough to hear out of tune guitar, who cares. You mix
their 4-10 songs in next two hours, pocket the cash and go home.
Unless you live in the studio.
jeff

"Peter Campbell" wrote in message ...
At the moment I am thinking yes! My band recorded a couple of songs at this
new studio and we're all happy with the outcome but I've decided to ask you,
the experts, what you think of the quality of this recording. This may
sound like spam, it's not, but a critique of the song's production would be
welcome.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/retrostarmusic.htm

not only is that guitar out of tune...but ah...ever heard a band
called galaxie 500? it's like a tacky remake of when will you come
home. spend your money on some new albums instead of a studio....

jeff
S O'Neill

Mike Rivers wrote:

If the intonation of the guitar is out far enough for others to
notice, why didn't the guitarist notice it (and correct for it)?

I thought that was the punch line.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )