Darren Pallen

Default Arny: Can you help with Cool Edit/Audition?

Greetings. I have a question about Cool Edit/Adobe Audition that I hope
someone can help me with. Here goes:

I have just upgraded from Cool Edit 2000 to Adobe Audition. I have a small
telephone message-on-hold business. As you can imagine, an on-hold-message
"Session" is pretty simple. I bring the music bed into Track 1, and the
voiceovers into Track 2. I use "Volume Envelopes" to bring the music down
when the announcer cuts in, and I use "Volume Envelopes" to bring the music
level back up when the announcer stops speaking.

So here's the scenario: I have an existing Session with the music bed in
Track 1 and the Volume Envelopes taking the music level up and down. I have
the production to the point that the ups/downs line up perfectly with the
voiceovers in Track 2. Now, I am ready to Mix Down. However, after all
this work, I decide that I do not like the music bed. So I want to bring in
a different music bed, but I WANT TO PRESERVE THE VOLUME POINTS found on the
original music bed.

Is there a way to delete the original bed, leave the volume points in place,
and bring in a new bed that assumes the volume points?

The way it is now, if I delete the original music bed it deletes the volume
points as well.

How can I accomplish this? Thanks for your input in advance.

Regards,
Darren

Arny Krueger

Default Can you help with Cool Edit/Audition?

"Darren Pallen" wrote in message

[...]

I have no idea. Sorry.

Jukka Andersson

fastly thinking without any tryouts.:
open new bed in editor view, copy it and change to multitrack view you are
working on. go on tracl containing old music bed and press "edit original
waveform" or similar. now paste that new bed from clipboard over this old
one. note that you have modified music bed using same name as the old one.
if you save it you lose old one and if you dont save it you have to do this
again next time. perhaps backuping your music beds before doing this
procedure.

..jukka andersson
rihmasto.com

[...]

JMo2864946

OR you could just delete the original music bed file from the hd....i've done
that inadvertantly, and CE still opened the sesson, but just the point break
info showed up, with an error message saying it couldnt find the original file.
Then you just import the new bed on another track and move it into place, and
adjust it in time to be right. Kinda ugly way to go , but it works..
Jer, SUNdog Audio, Chicago
Chris Rossi

Try switching out the music bed file from under the app. IE, with
Cool Edit/Audition closed, replace the music bed file with a new file,
in the same place, with the same name. Then open Cool Edit/Audition.

rossi

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message ...
[...]

Darren Pallen

Bingo, Chris. You are exactly right. I did the following as per your
recommendation:

I had a Session saved as "Christmas 2003". The music bed was "Let It Snow".
Because I desired to take out "Let It Snow" and put in a "Country Rock"
music bed, I brought the "Country Rock" music bed into the Session folder,
deleted "Let It Snow", and renamed "Country Rock" to "Let It Snow". Of
course, this was all done with Adobe Audition closed. I simply did this
through Windows Explorer, using Copy/Paste.

I then opened Adobe Audition and the Session in question. The Session found
"Let It Snow", but as I intended, it came through as the "Country Rock"
background with the original volume points intact.

Thanks for your excellent advice. This will save an unbelievable amount of
time in the future.

Regards,
Darren

"Chris Rossi" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Stephen Raiman

1. Exit Audition and go into the folder where the original music bed
file is
2. Move the file to a different folder
3. Start Audition again, and open your session. It should come up with
a dialog box saying something to the effect of "can't find file:
"my_music_bed.wav" locate manually"
4. Select the new music bed file, and it will drop it into the place
of the old file with envelopes intact.

What we're doing here is fooling Audition into thinking the file's
location just moved, when in fact, you are replacing it.

-Stephen Raiman