Gary Koliger

Default Shania w/ Alison K on TV

Anybody seen the Shania Twain one hour TV special with Alison Kraus and
Union Station? It was on the CBC Monday or Tuesday this week and was
called live and intimate or something like that. The only way I can
describe the sound is as wierd - her vocals were very noticeably pitch
corrected which you might expect but the rest of the band (Alison et al
who singing and playing up to their usual amazing calibre) sounded
really glassy and harsh. Just wondering if anyone saw it and has
comments.

Gary

Doc

"Gary Koliger" wrote in message
Anybody seen the Shania Twain one hour TV special with Alison Kraus and
Union Station? It was on the CBC Monday or Tuesday this week and was
called live and intimate or something like that. The only way I can
describe the sound is as wierd - her vocals were very noticeably pitch
corrected which you might expect but the rest of the band (Alison et al
who singing and playing up to their usual amazing calibre) sounded
really glassy and harsh. Just wondering if anyone saw it and has
comments.

Dang, I thought they all sounded amazing. Incredible standard for a live
performance. And while I really like Shania's vocal chops, she can just
stand there and breathe as far as I'm concerned.

Patric D'Eimon

with unquestioned accuracy of thought, Doc replied:

"Gary Koliger" wrote in message
Anybody seen the Shania Twain one hour TV special with Alison Kraus and
Union Station? It was on the CBC Monday or Tuesday this week and was
called live and intimate or something like that. The only way I can
describe the sound is as wierd - her vocals were very noticeably pitch
corrected which you might expect but the rest of the band (Alison et al
who singing and playing up to their usual amazing calibre) sounded
really glassy and harsh. Just wondering if anyone saw it and has
comments.

Dang, I thought they all sounded amazing. Incredible standard for a live
performance. And while I really like Shania's vocal chops, she can just
stand there and breathe as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with Doc. I liked the sound. I like Shania. I pretty much buy
the whole package and I thought her awkward personal stories were charming
also. BUT...

The most amazing thing to me was Jerry Douglas on Dobro. Holy crap! He is
so damned good. Crystal clear, inventive. Fast, smooth.

I loved the sound of the whole band, Union Station, and some of Allison
Krause's back up harmonies gave me chills. Full voice blend. her fiddle
was damned good also.

I recorded it and I'll go back to see what I can learn from the whole deal,
probably many times.

Patric
A Street Audio Production
Anchorage, AK

Jim Gilliland

Patric D'Eimon wrote:

with unquestioned accuracy of thought, Doc replied:

"Gary Koliger" wrote in message

Anybody seen the Shania Twain one hour TV special with Alison Kraus and
Union Station? It was on the CBC Monday or Tuesday this week and was
called live and intimate or something like that. The only way I can
describe the sound is as wierd - sounded really glassy and harsh.

Dang, I thought they all sounded amazing. Incredible standard for a live
performance. And while I really like Shania's vocal chops, she can just
stand there and breathe as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with Doc. I liked the sound.

One possibility for the diverging opinions - local stations and cable
TV. Sometimes the local station can really screw up the sound.
Sometimes the cable operator can do so as well.

The most amazing thing to me was Jerry Douglas on Dobro. Holy crap! He is
so damned good. Crystal clear, inventive. Fast, smooth.

He's taken the dobro to entirely new heights. Absolutely brilliant.
He's been doing that since he was in his mid-teens, and just keeps
getting better. At 19, he, Tony Rice, and Ricky Skaggs were all in JD
Crowe's band - that's a lineup that has influenced an entire generation
of bluegrass pickers.

I loved the sound of the whole band, Union Station, and some of Allison
Krause's back up harmonies gave me chills. Full voice blend. her fiddle
was damned good also.

She's an incredible musician. She, too, has been at it since her teens
- made her first record at 15, and it was obvious even then that she was
going to be great.

I missed the show in question, but I can certainly recommend the CMT
special (Alison Krauss and Union Station Most Wanted Live) that they've
been repeating every month or so all this year. Definitely worth
watching. And though I haven't picked up her live DVD yet, the CD
version is awesome. Maybe some kind family member will get me the DVD
for XMas.

Mike Rivers

People will always disagree about the sound on TV shows. It's easy to
notice dumb mixing errors like not being able to hear something that's
clearly important, but all sorts of horrible things can happen between
the mixed recording and the viewer's living room.

But speaking of music TV programs, the other night there was a Farm
Aid 2003 show on our local PBS station. They're fundraising so this
might not have been a national broadcast, so maybe everyone didn't see
it when I did, and I didn't see the whole show. But who was the blond
bonbshell who came on between Emmy Lou Harris and Sheryl Crow and sang
just one song. She wasn't introduced either coming or going (unless I
dozed off for a few seconds and missed it). She was pretty good.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

Kurt Albershardt

Jim Gilliland wrote:

with unquestioned accuracy of thought, Doc replied:

The most amazing thing to me was Jerry Douglas on Dobro. Holy crap!
He is so damned good. Crystal clear, inventive. Fast, smooth.

He's taken the dobro to entirely new heights. Absolutely brilliant.
He's been doing that since he was in his mid-teens, and just keeps
getting better. At 19, he, Tony Rice, and Ricky Skaggs were all in JD
Crowe's band - that's a lineup that has influenced an entire generation
of bluegrass pickers.

Dobro just doesn't get a whole lot better than this. The really cool
part is that for the price of admission to a music festival, you can
sometimes catch Jerry in a workshop setting with just a few dozen people
--quite a treat.

Tommy B

Years ago, I did a TV show, singing backround for Brian Wilson, the sound
was so bad for the show, the bandleader, had the union guy replaced with his
choice, who instantly became a union member, and took over the gig from then
on. Another "Straw that breaks the camels back" moment.

Tom

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

People will always disagree about the sound on TV shows. It's easy to
notice dumb mixing errors like not being able to hear something that's
clearly important, but all sorts of horrible things can happen between
the mixed recording and the viewer's living room.

But speaking of music TV programs, the other night there was a Farm
Aid 2003 show on our local PBS station. They're fundraising so this
might not have been a national broadcast, so maybe everyone didn't see
it when I did, and I didn't see the whole show. But who was the blond
bonbshell who came on between Emmy Lou Harris and Sheryl Crow and sang
just one song. She wasn't introduced either coming or going (unless I
dozed off for a few seconds and missed it). She was pretty good.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

michael cleary

it seemed to me like all the vox could have been pitch corrected. just too
perfect and inhuman sounding. it was defintely obvious on shania when she
would sing a high note by herself that would shift in steps if she changed
pitch quickly. can you say my vocal sounds like a processed robot? don't get
me wrong, i still enjoyed the show. sha nay-nay in leather pants is worth
the price of admission alone. ditto on the dobro player, absolutely amazing.

----------
In article , Gary Koliger
wrote:

Anybody seen the Shania Twain one hour TV special with Alison Kraus and
Union Station? It was on the CBC Monday or Tuesday this week and was
called live and intimate or something like that. The only way I can
describe the sound is as wierd - her vocals were very noticeably pitch
corrected which you might expect but the rest of the band (Alison et al
who singing and playing up to their usual amazing calibre) sounded
really glassy and harsh. Just wondering if anyone saw it and has
comments.

Gary

Charles Thomas

The "Alison Krauss and Union Station" DVD "Live" that someone mentioned
is fantastic.

I've watched it many times and everytime it's quite inspiring.

Highlights a

"Stay"
"The Boy Who Wouldn't Hoe Corn"
"A Tribute to Peador O'Donnell"

and, of course,

"I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow".

Great, great musicianship all around.

Alison's on-stage bantor is a little goofy, but apart from that I'd
HIGHLY recommend the DVD.

CT
Kalle L.

And while I really like Shania's vocal chops, she can just
stand there and breathe as far as I'm concerned.

Well, although it's just completely unappropriate for this forum, I
must tell you that I'm going to see her live in January, and my seat
is on the second row.

....at last I can properly check out the "autotune" thing, plus her
rumoured "bad singing skills" etc..

Regards,
Kalle

Roger W. Norman

"Charles Thomas" wrote in
message ...
Alison's on-stage bantor is a little goofy, but apart from that I'd
HIGHLY recommend the DVD

Actually, if you've seen them on the A&E Live Request (or whatever it is)
then you'd know that none of them have any particular ability to banter as
they all go off on a tangent. I can't imagine something worse than to be in
between songs and some dufus asking me questions about my musical background
when all I want to do is play the next song. I'd be the world's worst
interview, using "yes" and "no" as much a possible. When I'm standing on
stage the only thing I want to do is play.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

Ricky W. Hunt

"Roger W. Norman" wrote in message
"Charles Thomas" wrote in
message ...
Alison's on-stage bantor is a little goofy, but apart from that I'd
HIGHLY recommend the DVD

She really strikes me as more of a "hippie" chick when she talks.

Charles Thomas

In article bOkzb.407122$Tr4.1167868@attbi_s03,
"Ricky W. Hunt" wrote:

Alison's on-stage bantor is a little goofy, but apart from that I'd
HIGHLY recommend the DVD

She really strikes me as more of a "hippie" chick when she talks.

I never got that vibe from her, but she is very down-to-earth I think.

She's one of those people who are used to being the center of attention.
She strikes me as one of those people who stand around at a party loudly
telling stories that they think are hilarious, but at which most people
only laugh politely.

Not taking anything away from how talented she is at what she does,
however. I think they're all fantastic.

CT
Jim Gilliland

Default Alison K on TV

I loved the sound of the whole band, Union Station, and some of Allison
Krause's back up harmonies gave me chills. Full voice blend. her
fiddle was damned good also.

She's an incredible musician. She, too, has been at it since her teens
- made her first record at 15, and it was obvious even then that she was
going to be great.

I can certainly recommend the CMT special (Alison Krauss and Union
Station Most Wanted Live) that they've been repeating every month
or so all this year. Definitely worth watching.

And for those who might want to watch it, I note that CMT is
broadcasting it yet again this evening (Monday) from 8 to 9:30 EST.

Tom Paul

I can certainly recommend the CMT special (Alison Krauss and Union
Station Most Wanted Live) that they've been repeating every month
or so all this year. Definitely worth watching.

I caught this again for the third time or so. I find myself wanting
to really learn how to play dobro! Amazing stuff if you can stand the
silly blond MC. AK is your perfect anti-star. She is humble, shy,
and just want so to make music. My 9'th grade son loves them
too...along with my old YES and TUll albums..go figure.

Tom
Les Cargill

Tom Paul wrote:

I can certainly recommend the CMT special (Alison Krauss and Union
Station Most Wanted Live) that they've been repeating every month
or so all this year. Definitely worth watching.

I caught this again for the third time or so. I find myself wanting
to really learn how to play dobro! Amazing stuff if you can stand the
silly blond MC.

Nope. Couldn't. *Click*.