Martin Quinn

Default Would ADK SC-1 be good for hi hat?

Hi,

I was going to buy an AKG 451 primarily for hi-hat but notice that the ADK
SC-1 has similar specs (though I don't know if it has a similar polar
pattern). I also notice the ADK is much cheaper than the AKG. The SC-1 got
very favourable reviews in most music magazines I've come across.

Has anyone used this ADK mic, or ADK mics in general? How do they fare up?
I'm looking for good quality that won't break the bank for the hi hat!

The rest of my drum mic setup comprises 2 Neumann KM184s, Sennhieser MD421,
Shure Beta 57, 4 X SM57, Beyer Dynamic M201TG, AKG C1000s, Neumann TLM193
...etc... what I mean here is, would the SC-1 or SCT fit into the general
quality area of the collection I have.

regards,

Martin

Martin Quinn

Default Make that SCT...

Just looked at the ADK range again. The SCT has a pad and bass roll off.
Guess would I need those for Hi hat :-)

"Martin Quinn" wrote in message
Hi,

I was going to buy an AKG 451 primarily for hi-hat but notice that the ADK
SC-1 has similar specs (though I don't know if it has a similar polar
pattern). I also notice the ADK is much cheaper than the AKG. The SC-1 got
very favourable reviews in most music magazines I've come across.

Has anyone used this ADK mic, or ADK mics in general? How do they fare up?
I'm looking for good quality that won't break the bank for the hi hat!

The rest of my drum mic setup comprises 2 Neumann KM184s, Sennhieser

MD421,
Shure Beta 57, 4 X SM57, Beyer Dynamic M201TG, AKG C1000s, Neumann TLM193
..etc... what I mean here is, would the SC-1 or SCT fit into the general
quality area of the collection I have.

regards,

Martin

Scott Dorsey

Martin Quinn wrote:

Has anyone used this ADK mic, or ADK mics in general? How do they fare up?
I'm looking for good quality that won't break the bank for the hi hat!

Okay, why do you want to mike the high-hat?

The rest of my drum mic setup comprises 2 Neumann KM184s, Sennhieser MD421,
Shure Beta 57, 4 X SM57, Beyer Dynamic M201TG, AKG C1000s, Neumann TLM193
..etc... what I mean here is, would the SC-1 or SCT fit into the general
quality area of the collection I have.

If you are using the 184s as overheads, you should be getting plenty of
high hat in the overheads. If you aren't, raise them up a bit until you
do.

Martin Quinn

Default Would ADK SCT be good for hi hat?

I do normally get a lot of hi hat on the overheads, however I always print a
close miked hi hat to a track in case I need more when it comes to mixdown.
I like the focused sound of a close miked hi hat for some songs. For this
reason I need a flat response cardroid microphone like the ones I'm talking
about. But which to go for?!

Martin

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Martin Quinn wrote:

Has anyone used this ADK mic, or ADK mics in general? How do they fare

up?
I'm looking for good quality that won't break the bank for the hi hat!

Okay, why do you want to mike the high-hat?

The rest of my drum mic setup comprises 2 Neumann KM184s, Sennhieser

MD421,
Shure Beta 57, 4 X SM57, Beyer Dynamic M201TG, AKG C1000s, Neumann TLM193
..etc... what I mean here is, would the SC-1 or SCT fit into the general
quality area of the collection I have.

If you are using the 184s as overheads, you should be getting plenty of
high hat in the overheads. If you aren't, raise them up a bit until you
do.

John L Rice

Hi Martin,

Even though I almost never use my hihat track, I still record one. ;-) I've
been using an MXL 603s and it works fine. It's sort of a wide cardioid but
I try to catch a couple nearby splashes with it too so it works out.

We have somewhat similar setups. I'm currently using TLM193s as overheads
and a M201C on snare.

Best of luck!

John L Rice

Martin Quinn wrote:

Has anyone used this ADK mic, or ADK mics in general? How do they fare

up?
I'm looking for good quality that won't break the bank for the hi hat!

Okay, why do you want to mike the high-hat?

The rest of my drum mic setup comprises 2 Neumann KM184s, Sennhieser

MD421,
Shure Beta 57, 4 X SM57, Beyer Dynamic M201TG, AKG C1000s, Neumann

TLM193
..etc... what I mean here is, would the SC-1 or SCT fit into the

general
quality area of the collection I have.

If you are using the 184s as overheads, you should be getting plenty of
high hat in the overheads. If you aren't, raise them up a bit until you
do.

Scott Dorsey

Martin Quinn wrote:
I do normally get a lot of hi hat on the overheads, however I always print a
close miked hi hat to a track in case I need more when it comes to mixdown.
I like the focused sound of a close miked hi hat for some songs. For this
reason I need a flat response cardroid microphone like the ones I'm talking
about. But which to go for?!

How about the $35 omni from Behringer? It's a little harsh and an awful
lot noisy, but you don't care about either one for the application. And if
you use an omni, you'll have less of a problem with the tone changing as
the cymbal moves closer and farther away.

You can also try the Zildijan cymbal miking system. Is that still made?
It was really great for miking cymbals for PA applications in big stadiums
where the things really needed to be in the PA.

good 6.5 speakers EFFENDI Car Audio 0 March 16th 04 06:40 AM
good cheap audiocard for a G5 Dobbie Pro Audio 3 November 27th 03 05:12 AM
Good high-end easy to use DELAY unit ???? Chet A. Pro Audio 11 October 25th 03 03:12 PM