Jack

Default Dirtying up a Track with a PSA-1

Lately I've had alot of engineering requests for "dirty" vocal tracks,
trashed drum breaks, insane B3 sounds, etc. Typically I'll spend plenty of
time re-amping and tweaking stuff on my amp collection before getting good
results, but for some bands there's just no time for leisurely
experimentation, so for those impatient rockers, I'm considering a Sans Amp
PSA-1. I've always liked a good FET sound, it's got excellent
programmability, and hey, Bomb Factory made a plug-in out of it...

Can anyone tell me why this union should not take place?
Got a better way to get that "White Stripes" sound?
Do you let punk rockers scream into your C12?

Enjoy your Turkey,
Jack

Eli Crews

My PSA-1 (old version, pre-MIDI) is the best thing I've bought all year,
hands down. I love it for vocals, drums, horns, keys, everything! You
can dial in exactly the distortion you're looking for, it's got so much
control. The plug-in is cool, but the hardware box sounds better to me,
SURPRISE! I highly recommend this box if you have a line on one. Can't
speak for the new version, but there's a whole discussion group
dedicated to it: http://pub82.ezboard.com/fsansampdiscussionforumfrm2

Eli

In article ,
"Jack" wrote:

Lately I've had alot of engineering requests for "dirty" vocal tracks,
trashed drum breaks, insane B3 sounds, etc. Typically I'll spend plenty of
time re-amping and tweaking stuff on my amp collection before getting good
results, but for some bands there's just no time for leisurely
experimentation, so for those impatient rockers, I'm considering a Sans Amp
PSA-1. I've always liked a good FET sound, it's got excellent
programmability, and hey, Bomb Factory made a plug-in out of it...

Can anyone tell me why this union should not take place?
Got a better way to get that "White Stripes" sound?
Do you let punk rockers scream into your C12?

Enjoy your Turkey,
Jack

Scott Dorsey

Jack wrote:
Lately I've had alot of engineering requests for "dirty" vocal tracks,
trashed drum breaks, insane B3 sounds, etc. Typically I'll spend plenty of
time re-amping and tweaking stuff on my amp collection before getting good
results, but for some bands there's just no time for leisurely
experimentation, so for those impatient rockers, I'm considering a Sans Amp
PSA-1. I've always liked a good FET sound, it's got excellent
programmability, and hey, Bomb Factory made a plug-in out of it...

Can anyone tell me why this union should not take place?

Sure, get one.

Got a better way to get that "White Stripes" sound?

Yup. Buy a $15 megaphone from Radio Shack. Shout into it, and mike the
bell of the megaphone. Do it close, do it distant, do it in a big echoey
room. All kinds of weird distorted sounds.

Do you let punk rockers scream into your C12?

Get an Electro-Voice M-47 mike, or equivalent. $10 or so at Fair Radio
Sales. Horribly distorted. The Turner communications mikes are even
worse.