Ernest Siu

Default Studio monitor - Computer speakers ok?

As subject, is there any good computer speakers that can be used as
studio monitor? Obviously a pair or 2.1 is enough for stereo. Any
particular recommendation? If computer speakers are a big no-no then
shall I be looking at Edirol, Yamaha or JBL...etc.? I'm looking for
something with a bit more bass.

Cheers,
Ernest
Sugarite

As subject, is there any good computer speakers that can be used as
studio monitor? Obviously a pair or 2.1 is enough for stereo. Any
particular recommendation? If computer speakers are a big no-no then
shall I be looking at Edirol, Yamaha or JBL...etc.? I'm looking for
something with a bit more bass.

Computer speakers as studio monitors is a big no-no, kind of like using
spaghetti for guitar strings.

reddred

"Ernest Siu" wrote in message
om...
As subject, is there any good computer speakers that can be used as
studio monitor? Obviously a pair or 2.1 is enough for stereo. Any
particular recommendation? If computer speakers are a big no-no then
shall I be looking at Edirol, Yamaha or JBL...etc.? I'm looking for
something with a bit more bass.

No. There are no computer pc speakers with a flat response, or anything
resembling. The closest you will get is the yst series yamahas, and they are
sersiously hyped.

jb

Ricky W. Hunt

"Sugarite" wrote in message
news
As subject, is there any good computer speakers that can be used as
studio monitor? Obviously a pair or 2.1 is enough for stereo. Any
particular recommendation? If computer speakers are a big no-no then
shall I be looking at Edirol, Yamaha or JBL...etc.? I'm looking for
something with a bit more bass.

Computer speakers as studio monitors is a big no-no, kind of like using
spaghetti for guitar strings.

This cannot be overstated.

Ryan Mitchley

Try B&W DM303's with a decent amp. You may have EMI shielding problems,
depending on placement, though.

Ryan

Peter Larsen

Ernest Siu wrote:

Ok Ok..... so give me a suggestion on something under $200.... Edirol OK?

Smallest KEF Cresta is - imo and without listening to that specific
variation on the LS 3/5A theme - where serious stuff begins. YMMV -
loudspeaker choice is a personal choice, but it appears to be well worth
considering for a budget solution. Didn't bother to check exact pricing
..... O;-) ... but it appears to be of the order of magnitude of GBP 100
pr. pair, assuming the webshops do list "pr. pair".

Ernest

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Arny Krueger

"Ricky W. Hunt" wrote in message
"Sugarite" wrote in message
news

As subject, is there any good computer speakers that can be used as
studio monitor? Obviously a pair or 2.1 is enough for stereo. Any
particular recommendation? If computer speakers are a big no-no
then shall I be looking at Edirol, Yamaha or JBL...etc.? I'm
looking for something with a bit more bass.

Computer speakers as studio monitors is a big no-no, kind of like
using spaghetti for guitar strings.

This cannot be overstated.

Amen brother!

I know of one exception. I've seen people successfully mix using Monsoon
1000s. However they are pretty high end as regular computer speakers go.
They can't go very loud, but if you're careful...

However the inverse, studio monitors as computer speakers, can be pretty
cool.

Scott Dorsey

Ernest Siu wrote:
As subject, is there any good computer speakers that can be used as
studio monitor? Obviously a pair or 2.1 is enough for stereo. Any
particular recommendation? If computer speakers are a big no-no then
shall I be looking at Edirol, Yamaha or JBL...etc.? I'm looking for
something with a bit more bass.

I hate to say it, but I haven't yet heard a pair of multimedia speakers
I'd even want to use for casual listening, let alone serious monitoring
work.

Ben Bradley

In rec.audio.pro, "Sugarite" wrote:

As subject, is there any good computer speakers that can be used as
studio monitor? Obviously a pair or 2.1 is enough for stereo. Any
particular recommendation? If computer speakers are a big no-no then
shall I be looking at Edirol, Yamaha or JBL...etc.? I'm looking for
something with a bit more bass.

Computer speakers as studio monitors is a big no-no, kind of like using
spaghetti for guitar strings.

This is a misleading analogy, because EVERYONE knows you can't use
spaghetti for guitar strings.

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
Peter Larsen

Scott Dorsey wrote:

I hate to say it, but I haven't yet heard a pair of multimedia speakers
I'd even want to use for casual listening, let alone serious monitoring
work.

The biggest "altec"'s are not bad. I didn't say they are usable
monitors.

John L Rice

"Ernest Siu" wrote in message
om...
As subject, is there any good computer speakers that can be used as
studio monitor? Obviously a pair or 2.1 is enough for stereo. Any
particular recommendation? If computer speakers are a big no-no then
shall I be looking at Edirol, Yamaha or JBL...etc.? I'm looking for
something with a bit more bass.

Cheers,
Ernest

Hi Ernest,

While I wouldn't want to use 'computer / multi media' speakers as my main
monitors, there 'may' be some wisdom in having a pair of computer speakers
to check mixes on because more and more, a lot of people's main music
listening time happens while they're at the computer. The problem with this
thinking is that computer speaker vary so widely in sound.

That said, Altec Lansing has put out some that sound surprisingly good, in
particular the ACS45 and ACS44. The satellite speakers in the ACS45 sound a
little better to me than the ACS44's but the 44's have a normal volume
control knob where the 45's have a poorly designed electronic step up/step
down volume buttons. In a studio though, you may be controlling volume from
your mixer etc so this should be a big concern. The later ACS45's came with
'wooden' sub woofers instead of the original plastic but from what I've
heard I think the systems with plastic subs sound much better. ( when
setting up one of these do not over crank the sub volume! I've heard too
many people do this. Just give it enough so the music sound full. I get good
results by placing the sub on the floor near the wall under the desk)
Altec seemed to revise and come out with different models every few months
so other models may be worth getting too. The ACS33's looked to be similar
to the 44's but I've never heard them. As you might imagine from the price,
they aren't going to sound perfect. Careful gain staging is important
because the amps in them have a fair amount of noise/hiss when cranked. They
can seem to get pretty loud but they don't sound very good across the room.
Sit with the satellites 3 to 5 feet apart and 3 feet or so in front of you
and the sub right under the desk.

Neither model is made anymore AFAIK but you can still find them, on Ebay in
particular. I wouldn't pay over $50 for a set. You might want to get a
pair of these now and then save your remaining $150 and add to it until you
have enough to get an actual set of studio monitors. ( $500 to $1200 is
going to get you something a lot more usable than $200 although like another
poster suggested, if you already have a decent amp a passive set of Tannoy
Reveals or PBM 6.5's would be pretty good.)

Search Ebay with altec acs* Below are some good potential buys :

ACS45, currently $29

ACS45, buy it now for $39

ACS44 currently $25

Best of luck!

John L Rice

Ricky W. Hunt

"John L Rice" wrote in message

While I wouldn't want to use 'computer / multi media' speakers as my main
monitors, there 'may' be some wisdom in having a pair of computer speakers
to check mixes on because more and more, a lot of people's main music
listening time happens while they're at the computer. The problem with

this
thinking is that computer speaker vary so widely in sound.

As a check they are helpful but the subs can really screw you up if you're
mixing on them. Only one time in my life have I ever gotten a mix that was
unusable and that was when, due to my illness, I was confined to bed and had
no choice but to use some computer monitors to do a song for a funeral. It
actually sounded great on the computer speakers but dreadful (and that's not
a strong enough wrod) on everything else. I've never heard such a disparity
before.

reddred

"Ernest Siu" wrote in message
om...
Ok Ok..... so give me a suggestion on something under $200.... Edirol OK?

Ernest

Well, the problem with the edirols is that they are very small, with a
limited frequency response, and you aren't going to hear everything that you
are recording. I think they are very useful for video editing. The only
thing I can personally recommend as useful for music for around that much
money are the event tr5's, and they cost $300. Fostex also offers some for
around that, but I haven't heard them.

I'd probably just mix on whatever you have, cheap pc speakers or stereo or
whatever you can put together, until you can afford something that is going
to be worth spending much on at all. Ask yourself if the cheaper thing is
going to be worth having around later, and the answer is probably no.
Whereas for three or four hundred, you can get something that you will find
helpful to you for a lot longer.

jb

"reddred" wrote in message

"Ernest Siu" wrote in message
om...
As subject, is there any good computer speakers that can be used as
studio monitor? Obviously a pair or 2.1 is enough for stereo. Any
particular recommendation? If computer speakers are a big no-no then
shall I be looking at Edirol, Yamaha or JBL...etc.? I'm looking for
something with a bit more bass.

No. There are no computer pc speakers with a flat response, or anything
resembling. The closest you will get is the yst series yamahas, and they

are
sersiously hyped.

jb

EggHd

I used the Harmon Soundsticks for a little project with pro tools free once.

Justin Ulysses Morse

Ernest Siu wrote:

Ok Ok..... so give me a suggestion on something under $200.... Edirol OK?

Where would you get the idea that you can buy a useful pair of studio
monitors for under $200? That's like trying to find a decent CAR for
under $200.

ulysses