roderick

Default problems with Marantz PMD-670

I'm using a Sennheiser ME-66 micophone (together with K-6) and I'm
having problems. Sounds clip eventhough I'm far below 0 db. I tried
the mic on different recorders, sounds great. so I figure it has to do
with pre-amps or something. tried also with line-in, no problems.
tried with mic atten -20 db, then it seems to be gone. but I want to
record environments at 0 db mic atten. with occasional peaks. they
clip, even when the record level is set low (-6 db for maximum peaks).
Anyone any ideas??

One more problem, when recording in mp3 format on my Sandisk 512 mb
compact flash card, recording stops unexpectedly after 40 to 50
seconds (recording in mp2 of wav format with the sandisk card works
fine). When using the 64 mb card that came with the pmd670 recording
in mp3 format seems to work ok. Are more people experiencing this
with larger size compact flash cards??
Scott Dorsey

roderick wrote:
I'm using a Sennheiser ME-66 micophone (together with K-6) and I'm
having problems. Sounds clip eventhough I'm far below 0 db. I tried
the mic on different recorders, sounds great. so I figure it has to do
with pre-amps or something. tried also with line-in, no problems.
tried with mic atten -20 db, then it seems to be gone. but I want to
record environments at 0 db mic atten. with occasional peaks. they
clip, even when the record level is set low (-6 db for maximum peaks).
Anyone any ideas??

Use the pad, or use a mike preamp with more headroom.
Chip Gallo

roderick wrote:
[...]

Just did 22 hours of conference with a Sandisk 512MB cf card no problems.
Used mp2, 192/48 mono.

Chip Gallo

Len Moskowitz

roderick wrote:

I'm using a Sennheiser ME-66 micophone (together with K-6) and I'm
having problems. Sounds clip eventhough I'm far below 0 db. I tried
the mic on different recorders, sounds great. so I figure it has to do
with pre-amps or something. tried also with line-in, no problems.
tried with mic atten -20 db, then it seems to be gone. but I want to
record environments at 0 db mic atten. with occasional peaks. they
clip, even when the record level is set low (-6 db for maximum peaks).
Anyone any ideas??

Mic pre-amp overload. Use the 20 dB pad.

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

roderick

Chip gallo wrote:

Just did 22 hours of conference with a Sandisk 512MB cf card no problems.
Used mp2, 192/48 mono.

Chip Gallo

MP2 works fine with me too, it's mp3 where things go wrong.

roderick

Can't help you with your flash card problem.

I've had problems with Compact Flash cards that have been formated on
Windows XP. Sometimes the Marantz does not know how much space is on
the card. Sometimes it just stops in the middle of the recording. I
formated the card on the Marantz and it worked just fine.
roderick

Is there anyone that needs to use an external mic attenuator to
prevent clipping?? (I mean with internal mic atten set to 0 db, since
-20 db is way too much).
Because is seems to me there is no other way you will get clear
recordings when intern mic attenuator is set to 0 dB. Unless your in
the middle of a forest.

please help!!
ScotFraser

Problem is that the files become corrupt during recording. I did a
test by recording on mp2 non-stop for 8 hours, which went ok until i
tried to upload to my pc. the windows said file was corrupt.

How has it been for uncompressed PCM recording?

Scott Fraser