A. Allen

Default Yes its a noise question... sorry

Hi all - I vowed I wouldn't join the masses and post a question to help with
a noise problem - but I've got one, and my reading and attempts so far
haven't fixed it so...

I recently installed a new amp (Boss Audio), subs (Pioneer 10") and
head-unit (Panasonic CQ-DFX572 - I think its an international model and may
be called something different in other countries) in my Commodore (for you
aussies). Since the install my front speakers (Kenwood 6") have exhibited an
audiable buzzz. Its not particularly loud, its only noticable during silent
parts of the music. It goes away if I remove the either both the subwoofer
RCAs or both the front speaker RCAs from my amp (only subs and fronts are
running off the amp). It doesn't change when the car is on or off or with
engine rpm. It does change when I adjust the gain to the front speakers on
the amp. It doesn't change much when the volume on the head unit is changed.
Its on right from when the head unit switches on to when its turned off.

As to my install, I've got my speaker wires running up under the roof trim,
my amp power wire running in the lower door foot trim and my RCAs running
down the center hump. I've checked my ground point, cleaned it back to
bright shiny metal, installed a washer to help apply pressure.

I'm pretty sure its not the speakers because they were fine before the
install and are fine when the subwoofer RCAs are pulled. My only ideas how
to fix it now are to completely relocate the gound point. Its currently into
body metal on the front of the trunk - for those familiar with commodores
its into the seat support metal in the sedan. I could probably move it lower
down so it was directly onto frame material but I'm not sure it would help
signifcantly - its already on a well integrated piece of steel. Another idea
would be to start moving cables around... but where? - everything it as far
away as I can see practical. Finally my last option I guess is to check the
ground on the head unit - its currently to the factory ground wire - I
assumed this would be sufficient.

So any ideas people? - is it likely that it could be a problem with the head
unit? The head unit has 6 pre-outs - 2 front, 2 rear, 2 subs. I'm using the
2 front and the 2 subs with the rear speakers being driven off the headunit
preamp. It it possible it could be the amp? I wouldn't have thought so since
it seems capable of making noise free music under some circumstances.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appriciated - especially if it would save
me the hassle of ripping stuff out again. Any body interested in my install
so far can check out http://allen.alphadimensions.net/~aidan/audio.htm

best regards
Aidan

To reply remove the .au and swap the allen and alphadimensions in my
address.

BE(Mech) Hons (Mat. Eng.)

A. Allen

I know nothing of the set up you describe but if it were in my car I would
check all the earth connections (ground) and even put a second in to the
negative connection on the battery before I do anything else.

Yep thats one of the things I did on the weekend - doubled the wire earthing
the body to the battery - no effect.

To me it
sounds like earth connections more than anything else. Did you check the
earth connection to the units. That is where it the connections are made

the units and not where they are connected to the vehicle itself.

No I didn't actually - although the connection I made was pretty secure I
guess it won't hurt to chuck a multimeter on there to check for any
resistance.

Keep us posted as to the cause when you do discover it.

Will do, thanks for your suggestions

regards
Aidan

Best of luck

Hugh
"A. Allen" wrote in message
[...]

A. Allen

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
Sounds like your HU is trying to find a better ground through the RCAs.

Try
a new HU ground and see what happens.

Rightio - that was next on the list anyway, probably won't get around to it
until later in the week... I'll let you know how it goes.

-Aidan

Paul Vina

"A. Allen" wrote in message
[...]

news.adelphia.net

Try a RadioShack ground loop isolater ($15) between the head unit and the
amp to see if things quiet down. Try to be sure none of the RCA outer
shells are touching ground anywhere.

Good luck

"A. Allen" wrote in message
[...]

Paul Vina

Try a RadioShack ground loop isolater ($15) between the head unit and the
amp to see if things quiet down.

We're tryin got help him fix the problem, not put a band-aid on it.

Paul Vina

"A. Allen" wrote in message
[...]

Eddie Runner

BANDAID????

Since when is eliminating the ground loop on the signal wires a BAND AID?
If it works, go with it!

Eddie Runner

Paul Vina wrote:

Try a RadioShack ground loop isolater ($15) between the head unit and the
amp to see if things quiet down.

We're tryin got help him fix the problem, not put a band-aid on it.

Paul Vina

A. Allen

must admit I'd like to get rid of the noise by 'natural means' first...
worst comes to worst I may try a ground loop isolator but it'll probably a
last resort. Thanks for the tip anyway. I must mention that radioshack isn't
the most common of brands over here (they are distributed through another
retail chain) so I may have trouble even finding one.

regards
Aidan
BE(Mech) Hons (Mat. Eng.)

news

"A. Allen" wrote in message
[...]

A. Allen

Well I got rid of the noise! I tried a multitude of things including:
- Cleaning and the relocating the amp earth wire.
- Checking the resistance of the amp earth wire to the chassis and then
right back to the battery
- As above but for the head unit earth wire
- Re-routing the RCAs
- Disconnecting various speakers, RCAs and the aerial
- And goodness knows what else

Anyway, finally I thought I'd run a separate remote on lead to the amp. The
one I had been using was the sort that is integrated into an RCA. As I was
setting up the system originally I thought "hrrm, that can't be the best
design", so I checked around online but could see no problems related to
having the remote-on lead bonded to the RCA, so I used it... why put more
wires in your car than necessary??

Anyway I ran a separate wire and low and behold... no more noise, its now a
crisp, clean, full sounding system with blissful silence when there's
supposed to be! I honestly don't know whether the noise was a result of a
dodgey remote-on lead or the design of the RCA/remote-on, and frankly I
don't care!

Thanks for your suggestions everyone.
regards
Aidan

BE(Mech) Hons (Mat. Eng.)

"A. Allen" wrote in message
[...]

Paul Hanley

This was fixed by replacing the remote turn on lead with a new one
right? I have a noise issue that different grounding schemes have not
resolved, and I am about to place a relay in the chain for the remote
turn on lead.

Paul

"A. Allen" wrote in message
[...]

A. Allen

Yep thats the sum of it. The original remote on lead was intergrated into an
RCA, I replaced it with the dedicated one that came with my amp wiring kit
and no more noise... needless to say I was pretty happy - a no cost complete
solution =)

Aidan
BE(Mech) Hons (Mat. Eng.)

om...

"Whining" noise Carl Saiyed Car Audio 6 July 28th 07 04:41 PM
How do I get rid of the speaker noise? Chaos Master General 5 May 7th 04 06:14 AM
Help with speaker noise Mike & Kristen General 4 January 11th 04 06:53 AM
Looking for white noise or crahing surf CD Entity General 1 December 23rd 03 07:16 PM
Residual birdies after noise reduction Paddy General 1 September 28th 03 12:11 PM