Gravity

Default What will make my system sound better?

You definatly need new door speakers. No you don't need an amp. I just
ordered some Clarion Power System series speakers for my S-10. They sound
really good. I liked them more then most speakers because the high's aren't
as harsh.. it's a warmer sounding speaker.

:-D I just cut the cheese!
"Lasher" wrote in message
I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab. So far all the door speakers are
factory and I have a Pioneer DEH-7400MP head unit, 2 10" Rockford Fosgate
Punch subwoofers in 2 seperate small boxes under back bench seat and a
Pioneer GM-962 760W Amp. These seems to sound much better than what I had,
but I am looking for superior sound in my truck and I dont know what else

need to do. I figured I would buy new door speakers (do I need to put a

amp
on them?) . Right now it seems the base is drowning alot of the clearer
sounds in my truck. I listen to a lot of heavy metal. What would you guys
recommend buying for a good price and best sound? thanks for any help

given.

Lasher

Sam Carleton

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 at 02:58 GMT, Lasher
wrote:
I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab. So far all the door
speakers are factory and I have a Pioneer DEH-7400MP head unit, 2
10" Rockford Fosgate Punch subwoofers in 2 seperate small boxes
under back bench seat and a Pioneer GM-962 760W Amp. These seems
to sound much better than what I had, but I am looking for
superior sound in my truck and I dont know what else I need to do.
I figured I would buy new door speakers (do I need to put a amp on
them?) . Right now it seems the base is drowning alot of the
clearer sounds in my truck. I listen to a lot of heavy metal. What
would you guys recommend buying for a good price and best sound?

Personally I think a nice component system with the woofer in the
door and the tweeter on the piller or right below the windows on the
door would have a huge impact! I like Boston Acoustics (BA), but
they tend to be expensive. In the past I have has some Polk Audio
and they did very nicely, too. I have also heard that Diamond Audio
is on par with BA, though the price tag is also on par with BA.

I do believe you will want to power the speakers with an external
amp as to keep up with your sub.

Sam
Ge0

The answer is obvious to many of us here. Install a separate component set
in front. IMO to get the full benefit out of this component set you'll need
to amp them separately. Head units just can't provide the bump 120W can to
a midbass up front.

As far as what brand, nobody can tell you that. You'll have to go and
listen to some yourself. Every speaker sounds different. The question is,
does it sound good or bad to you.

Ge0

"Lasher" wrote in message
I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab. So far all the door speakers are
factory and I have a Pioneer DEH-7400MP head unit, 2 10" Rockford Fosgate
Punch subwoofers in 2 seperate small boxes under back bench seat and a
Pioneer GM-962 760W Amp. These seems to sound much better than what I had,
but I am looking for superior sound in my truck and I dont know what else

need to do. I figured I would buy new door speakers (do I need to put a

amp
on them?) . Right now it seems the base is drowning alot of the clearer
sounds in my truck. I listen to a lot of heavy metal. What would you guys
recommend buying for a good price and best sound? thanks for any help

given.

Lasher

Knoll

replace the mids and highs
use MB Quarts - nothing else will do. Rock and heavy metal has lots of highs
and mids, not much bass (except for Hell's Bells - AC/DC that kicks ass) You
have a truck so that presents itself with a few acoustic problems - very
little space. For good bass you will need lots of space - in a van you can
do more than in a car - in a car you can do more than in a truck, simply
because of space. For highs you will find that everything is closer so
cheapie tweets become to sharp and for mids the vehicle isn't very will
insulated. Lot of metal and plastic panels (noisy when they vibrate). Every
driver(that is subs not the operator of the vehicle) has its own dimensions
and the type of box you put the subs in matter but by average you need a box
with about 1 cubic foot of volume for each 10" sub(no ports). That will give
you the higher end of the sub frequency. Some where between 120 - 80
hertz.as a low. For metal that's all you need, it would be hard to get lower
and that will depend on how well the box is made. You don't really have
enough cabin volume to go much lower without getting expensive. As sound
waves move away form the driver it slows down hence the low sound you hear.
The more distance you have for sound to travel, the more objects in the
vehicle for sound to pass through (that will slow it down even more) that
will produce a heavier bass. If you need more bass then there is only one
thing that works and $350 latter, that is the AudioControll Epicenter. The
draw back to that is most speaker manufactures wont warranty any thing
connected to an epicenter. The Epicenter will give you a 12 db boost (every
3 db sound pressure will double itself)
Mb Quarts are the leaders in what they do. Clean, clear sound, none of which
is sharp. Loud it wont hurt you ears. The draw back is compared to what you
can get from other manufacture they are expensive - but worth it.

Paul Vina

replace the mids and highs
use MB Quarts - nothing else will do.

Yeah, 'cuz no one else make good component sets. And everyone like Quarts.

For good bass you will need lots of space - in a van you can
do more than in a car - in a car you can do more than in a truck, simply
because of space.

BS. The best bass I ever heard was an 8" round Kicker Solobaric in a
downfire box in the pass. footwell of a Ferrari 328 that I did. It's a
small car AND has almost no space.

For highs you will find that everything is closer so
cheapie tweets become to sharp and for mids the vehicle isn't very will
insulated.

I've found that Chevys are pretty well insulated actually.

Lot of metal and plastic panels (noisy when they vibrate).

Actually Chevy full size pickups are pretty plush.

That will give you the higher end of the sub frequency. Some where between

120 - 80
hertz.as a low.

WHAT???? What are you smoking. The size of a sub has NOTHING to do with
how low it will play.

For metal that's all you need, it would be hard to get lower
and that will depend on how well the box is made.

I agree about the box, but even metal goes into the 50-and 60's easily.

You don't really have enough cabin volume to go much lower without getting

expensive. As sound
waves move away form the driver it slows down hence the low sound you

hear.

Is there NO END to the BS you're full of. See above about the small volume
interiors. ALL sound slows as it moves, but that doesn't change it's
frequency, only it's amplitude (volume).

The more distance you have for sound to travel, the more objects in the
vehicle for sound to pass through (that will slow it down even more) that
will produce a heavier bass.

Nope, only makes it quieter.

If you need more bass then there is only one
thing that works and $350 latter, that is the AudioControll Epicenter.

I guess more power, more subs, turning up the gain and turning up the bass
and sub controls take away bass?

The draw back to that is most speaker manufactures wont warranty any thing
connected to an epicenter.

Not true.

The Epicenter will give you a 12 db boost (every
3 db sound pressure will double itself)

At least THIS is correct.

Mb Quarts are the leaders in what they do. Clean, clear sound, none of

which
is sharp. Loud it wont hurt you ears. The draw back is compared to what

you
can get from other manufacture they are expensive - but worth it.

If Quart was THE leader in clean sound, then every competitor would be using
them. Guess that's wrong too.

Paul Vina

Soundfreak03

replace the mids and highs
use MB Quarts - nothing else will do. Rock and heavy metal has lots of highs
and mids, not much bass (except for Hell's Bells - AC/DC that kicks

What metal are you listening too? There is plenty of low end, I dont consider
AC/DC metal.
And what is this crap about MB Quarts only? There are TONS of other
manufactures that make comparable speakers and better to someones ears. I
personally like ADS components and dont like Quarts. You cannot make sweeping
generalizations like that, In either case.

You
have a truck so that presents itself with a few acoustic problems - very
little space. For good bass you will need lots of space - in a van you can
do more than in a car - in a car you can do more than in a truck, simply
because of space.

You can usually put more but that has nothing to do with good bass. Good bass
in achievable in any vehicle. Less is More in alot of cases of car audio. Again
you cant make these generalizations, they are just wrong plain and simple.

For highs you will find that everything is closer so
cheapie tweets become to sharp and for mids the vehicle isn't very will
insulated.

The vehicle is insulated enough, you do not have to insulate the entire vehicle
to get good sound.

Lot of metal and plastic panels (noisy when they vibrate). Every
driver(that is subs not the operator of the vehicle) has its own dimensions
and the type of box you put the subs in matter but by average you need a box
with about 1 cubic foot of volume
for each 10" sub(no ports). That will give
you the higher end of the sub frequency. Some where between 120 - 80
hertz.as a low.

1 cubic foot is kinda large dont you think for a 10? Most subs will play much
lower than 80hz even in an improperly built enclosure, Where do you get this
stuff? you dont work at Circuit City do you?

For metal that's all you need, it would be hard to get lower

Bull. metal requires the entire freq. range. Do you even listen to heavy metal?

nd that will depend on how well the box is made. You don't really have
enough cabin volume to go much lower without getting expensive.

More Bull!!!!!!!!!!! Where do you get this stuff from?

As sound
waves move away form the driver it slows down hence the low sound you hear.

Sound slows down? I dont think so. The speed of sound is a constant it doesnt
change.

The more distance you have for sound to travel, the more objects in the
vehicle for sound to pass through (that will slow it down even more) that
will produce a heavier bass.

BULL. BULL. BULL.

If you need more bass then there is only one
thing that works and $350 latter, that is the AudioControll Epicenter.

You are just full of misinformation. You DO NOT have to have and epicenter to
get more bass.

The
draw back to that is most speaker manufactures wont warranty any thing
connected to an epicenter.

Which ones?

The Epicenter will give you a 12 db boost (every
3 db sound pressure will double itself)
Mb Quarts are the leaders in what they do. Clean, clear sound, none of which
is sharp.

MBQ are one of the MANY manufactures that make great gear that is clean clear
and not sharp. They are NOT the only ones by any stretch of the imagination.
Well they are the only ones named MB Quart.

The draw back is compared to what you
can get from other manufacture they are expensive - but worth it.

They are somewhat expensive. And may or may not be worth it, Only the listener
can determine that.

Les

Lasher

OK, So I guess I wont listen to that guy since you guys pretty much ripped
him a new hole. HA HA. But anyways, I am going to probably go with the
Alpine 2 way 6 1/2 inch door speakers. I have a 160W Pioneer amp that is 30W
rms per channel. Would this be better than the 50W peak that my radio
offers? Also, is the Pioneer 760W amp a good enough amp to push the 10"
subs? I think it doesnt sound as good as it should and I wasnt sure if this
was the problem. Thnks for the help.

Lasher

"Knoll" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
[...]

Lasher

The model numbers for all my current stuff is in my original post. And for
the money aspect of it, i probably will spend about $100 for the 6 1/2 for
my doors and maybe another $200 for whatever else I need to help make my
system sound better than what it currently does. Thanks for the help

Lasher

"Soundfreak03" wrote in message
OK, So I guess I wont listen to that guy since you guys pretty much

ripped
him a new hole. HA HA. But anyways, I am going to probably go with the
Alpine 2 way 6 1/2 inch door speakers. I have a 160W Pioneer amp that is

30W
rms per channel. Would this be better than the 50W peak that my
radio
offers?

Yes it would be better to use the amp. All of that sounds good to me.

Also, is the Pioneer 760W amp a good enough amp to push the 10"
subs? I think it doesnt sound as good as it should and I wasnt sure if

this
was the problem. Thnks for the help.

Well specific model #s and stuff would help but I would say that it should

be
fine.You may just be expecting to much out of the tens. I went from 2 12s

to a
single ten (changed vehicles) and at first its a real bummer. But if your
looking to spend some money give a budget then I am sure you will get alot

of
good suggestions.

Les