n8 skow

Default First car stereo with built in Digital Recorder

Ah, just what we need, another in-car distraction while negotiating the busy
streets of downtown...

n8

"Volker Lauke" wrote in message
The first car stereo with built in "Digital Recorder", the "Woodstock DAB
53", is now on sale. For further information please take a look he

http://home.t-online.de/home/Lauke/MainGB.htm

Sam Carleton

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 at 21:13 GMT, n8 skow wrote:
Ah, just what we need, another in-car distraction while
negotiating the busy streets of downtown...

n8,

You are assuming that everyone has to content with busy downtown
streets. There are some of us, me for example, that drives two
hours one way through the country side to get to work. grin

Sam

Volker Lauke wrote in message
The first car stereo with built in "Digital Recorder", the
"Woodstock DAB 53", is now on sale. For further information
please take a look he

http://home.t-online.de/home/Lauke/MainGB.htm

Volker Lauke

"Paul Vina" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
t...
That's not the first mobile digital recorder. Sony had a mini-disc HU

that
could record from any source connected to it, at anytime, even when the

car
was unoccupied that came out almost 6 years ago. Guess it's not as new as
you thought.

You can not the MD-Recorder with the recording solution of the Woodstock.

The MD-Recorder is not able to record 1:1 a DAB-signal, which is MP2. For
recording with the MD the digital signal has to be converted to analog and
than bacc to the proprietary MD-Standard. This will cause a loss of quality.
Beside of this there is no car stereo on the market which gives you by a
built in recorder the opportunity to record any program or a part of those
one. Also MD is not compatibel with a MP3 Player, which is the most used
unit in the market, due to the internet.

Volker Lauke

"n8 skow" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Ah, just what we need, another in-car distraction while negotiating the

busy
streets of downtown...

I am sorry, but you missunderstand the feature. The only action to be taken
is to push the OK pushbutton to start and another time to stop the
recording. This is similar to switch on the light, change the station and
much more easier as to search for a radio station or smoking a cigarette
while driving. If a driver ist not able to do this without any risk, I think
it is time to give back the driving licensee. Beside of this the recordiong
feature gives you no only the the opportunity to get a recored in best
quality from a program, it can alo be used to repeat a content of a prgramm
which you would like to hear again. This can be in example a longer traffic
message, which you did not understand, becaues it was very comprehensive. In
this case the recording feature even can improve road safety.

Paul Vina

The MD-Recorder is not able to record 1:1 a DAB-signal, which is MP2.

Who cares how it records? The point is, Sony had an in-car digital
recoreder first.

For recording with the MD the digital signal has to be converted to analog

and
than bacc to the proprietary MD-Standard. This will cause a loss of

quality.

Again, not what I was disputing. The MD format, by definition is not as
good as a pure digital signal.

Beside of this there is no car stereo on the market which gives you by a
built in recorder the opportunity to record any program or a part of those
one.

Huh? You push record when you want to start and again when you want to
stop. Plus the ability to continue after you've gotten out of the car or to
program it to start and stop while you're out of your car is mope important
I'd say.

Also MD is not compatibel with a MP3 Player, which is the most used
unit in the market, due to the internet.

And since when is MP3 all that great sounding? I think MD's sound better
than MP3's. If MD was more popular I guarantee there would be MD units that
played MP3's.

Paul Vina

Volker Lauke

The MD-Recorder is not able to record 1:1 a DAB-signal, which is MP2.

Who cares how it records? The point is, Sony had an in-car digital
recoreder first.

It is not a in-car digitital recorder combined with a car stereo in one unit
as the Woodtsock DAB 53. It is a portable digital recorder. It records only
analog and in the mentioned case the quality is not better as analog, even
if the recording is in digital format. Please show me one set in the world
with the same functions as a Woodstock.

Beside of this there is no car stereo on the market which gives you by a
built in recorder the opportunity to record any program or a part of

those
one.

Huh? You push record when you want to start and again when you want to
stop. Plus the ability to continue after you've gotten out of the car or

program it to start and stop while you're out of your car is mope

important
I'd say.

I do not understand what the problem is to push a pushbutton. This is
similar to switch on the light in a tunnel, change the station and
much more easier as to search for a radio station or smoking a cigarette
while driving. If a driver ist not able to do this without any risk, I think
it is time to give back the driving licensee. Beside of this the recordiong
feature gives you not only the the opportunity to get a recored in best
quality from a program, it can alo be used to repeat a content of a prgramm
which you would like to hear again. This can be in example a longer traffic
message, which you did not understand, becaues it was very comprehensive. In
this case the recording feature even can improve road safety.

The function is not concepted for people, not in the car in a same way you
start a recording with you MD Recorder from a Car Stereo and you have to
leave the car. This is not the subject.

Also MD is not compatibel with a MP3 Player, which is the most used
unit in the market, due to the internet.

And since when is MP3 all that great sounding? I think MD's sound better
than MP3's. If MD was more popular I guarantee there would be MD units

that
played MP3's.

I must diappoint you. If you have a look in the car Stereo market of the
past 3 years you will recognize, that the number of sets with MD are
decresing and the market share of MD is also decreasing dramatic. THe
reason is MP3. The quality of the sound by MP3 or 2 is based on the bitrate,
which can be varied by user or broadcaster. This means, that you can not say
global "MD is better than MP3". You have always to refer to a bitrate. If
you refer to a bitrate of 128 KBIt, you are right. If you refer to rates of
196 KBit or more, you are wrong.

Volker Lauke

Paul Vina

It is not a in-car digitital recorder combined with a car stereo in one

unit
as the Woodtsock DAB 53.

My ass. It was a single DIN MD head unit with Uni-Link controls.

It is a portable digital recorder. It records only
analog and in the mentioned case the quality is not better as analog, even
if the recording is in digital format. Please show me one set in the world
with the same functions as a Woodstock.

http://www.minidisc-canada.com/MDX_C800REC.asp
check out the link.

I do not understand what the problem is to push a pushbutton. This is
similar to switch on the light in a tunnel, change the station and
much more easier as to search for a radio station or smoking a cigarette
while driving. If a driver ist not able to do this without any risk, I

think
it is time to give back the driving licensee. Beside of this the

recordiong
feature gives you not only the the opportunity to get a recored in best
quality from a program, it can alo be used to repeat a content of a

prgramm
which you would like to hear again. This can be in example a longer

traffic
message, which you did not understand, becaues it was very comprehensive.

In
this case the recording feature even can improve road safety.

I agree with all of that. All I was saying was that the Sony does it all
with the push of a button as well.

The function is not concepted for people, not in the car in a same way you
start a recording with you MD Recorder from a Car Stereo and you have to
leave the car. This is not the subject.

It may not be the subject, but it is relevant. What good is an in-car
recorder if you have to be in there whenever you want to record something?
What if you want to record something that's on while you're away from the
car? What if you want to continue recording a program or song after you
leave your car?

I must diappoint you. If you have a look in the car Stereo market of the
past 3 years you will recognize, that the number of sets with MD are
decresing and the market share of MD is also decreasing dramatic.

Which I said I agreed with. Can you read?

THe
reason is MP3. The quality of the sound by MP3 or 2 is based on the

bitrate,
which can be varied by user or broadcaster. This means, that you can not

say
global "MD is better than MP3". You have always to refer to a bitrate. If
you refer to a bitrate of 128 KBIt, you are right. If you refer to rates

of
196 KBit or more, you are wrong.

Maybe to you. Personally I don't think mp3's are all that great up until
320Kbps. In a moving car it won't matter, but when you're parked it's
audible.

Paul Vina

Volker Lauke

Please show me one set in the world
with the same functions as a Woodstock.

http://www.minidisc-canada.com/MDX_C800REC.asp
check out the link.

As I tried to explain, this unit is not able to record from a digital signal
from DAB. It can only record a analog broadcast which is from the frequency
resonse (50 - 15.000 Hz) and the distortions while driving (hiss and
multipath) not worse to record on a digital media. You get the same result
if you record it on a good cassette recorder. However I think, recording of
analog radio in a car makes due to the worse quality not that sense and a MD
will not improve the quality at all. The offered feature is not just to
record a programon a digital media in FM-quality, the feature is to record a
digital program which grant in best case CD-quality without any distortions
1:1. The MDX C800REC can not do this and therefore it is not a competitor of
the Woodstock.

I agree with all of that. All I was saying was that the Sony does it all
with the push of a button as well.

And a cassete recorder also. This is not the point. See above

It may not be the subject, but it is relevant. What good is an in-car
recorder if you have to be in there whenever you want to record something?
What if you want to record something that's on while you're away from the
car? What if you want to continue recording a program or song after you
leave your car?

As I told, the feature is to record that what you hear and would like to
hear again with the opportunity to copy it on yout PC, edit it and bring on
a media of your choice. If you want more, you have to pay more. However I
assume you do not want.

Paul Vina

[...]

I have no idea what you are trying to say here. If you are saying that the
Sony can't record FM in digital, that's correct. But who needs digital FM
anyway? Your comments about being able to edit on a PC are not entirely
correct either. All you need is an MD player and some editing software
connected to your PC.

Soundfreak03

I tried to say that your first statement:

"That's not the first mobile digital recorder. Sony had a mini-disc HU that
could record from any source connected to it, at anytime, even when the car
was unoccupied that came out almost 6 years ago. Guess it's not as new as
you thought"

is not applicable, because it does not meet in any way the functionality of
a Woodstock DAB 53.

Volker Lauke

But it is applicable. Just because there is a newer product that can do the job
faster, better, or whatever does not mean that it is the first. The concept was
in place and even implemented a long time ago. Functionality is not the issue
as I see it, but moreso the concept, Which was implemented years ago. You cant
say that the first mass market homecomputer came yesterday just because its way
better than the old original Tandy model. But thats just the way I see it.

Les

Soundfreak03

Finally someone else who sees my point!

Paul Vina

Ya, I finally took the time to read the thread and was just kinda shaking my
head, I think that he must work for a marketing dept somewhere, maybe he works
for Monster Cable (All meant as a joke so noone get bent out of shape)

Les