Dean

Default Who here has perfomance cars?

For those who do, how do you keep the weight of your audio system down?

Anyone have any good tips for minimizng weight without stripping the car to bits?
n8 skow

Use lighter building materials (fiberglass in place of MDF) and
smaller/lighter electronics (a small ClassD amp over a big heavy ClassA/B
amp)...

n8

For those who do, how do you keep the weight of your audio system down?

Anyone have any good tips for minimizng weight without stripping the car

to bits?

TomTom

If you have a bit of an increase in sprung weight, IE stereo equip, you can
reduce unsprung weight which will make your vehicle perform a little
better.. lighter tire/rim combos, crossdrilled rotors, lighter brake pads.
But I really don't think you're going to feel the slight effect the weight
of a normal stereo system might have on your cars performance.

The easiest way to get rid of some weight is the spare tire. If you have a
full size spare either leave it in your garage and carry a tire plug kit and
the fix-a-flat stuff, or get a donut for your car instead of a full size
spare.

Another easy way to lighten up is running your gas tank partially empty all
the time. When I had a honda del sol I never used to run the tank more than
1/3 full, except for long drives, gas weighs anywhere from 5.8 to 6.5 pounds
per gallon. Lets say you have a 12 gallon tank, at 6lbs per gallon it would
be almost 75lbs when full, you could cut nearly 50lbs by only filling your
tank to 1/3 full. If you live in a city and there's alot of gas stations
running 1/3 full is hardly a problem.

"Dean" wrote in message
om...
For those who do, how do you keep the weight of your audio system down?

Anyone have any good tips for minimizng weight without stripping the car

to bits?

---

Nick Holden

Just add more horsepower. I've got a 3rd generation Supra and
the goal is 800+ RWHP. The audio equipment is incidental.

HP/weight is the key, you can work on either but stripping weight
tends to reduce the fun of driving the car. I think it is better to
increase HP.

-Nick

"Dean" wrote in message
om...
For those who do, how do you keep the weight of your audio system down?

Anyone have any good tips for minimizng weight without stripping the car

to bits?

Max

X-No-Archive:yes

Make the sub box with nice terminal cups, it's the heaviest item.
I gain .1 at the 1/4 mile by pulling out my sub box.
Comes straight up after removing 4 wires from PG Terminals.
http://home.comcast.net/~wegetourmai...ID-724054.html

http://home.comcast.net/~wegetourmai...ID-665012.html

The pic with the tire air pressure gauge on it is my sub box 2 L710's 2003
Models.

~«©¿©»~

http://home.comcast.net/~wegetourmai...ome.html-.html
No. Try not.
Do or do not, there is no try.
Max

"Nick Holden" wrote in message
Just add more horsepower. I've got a 3rd generation Supra and
the goal is 800+ RWHP. The audio equipment is incidental.

HP/weight is the key, you can work on either but stripping weight
tends to reduce the fun of driving the car. I think it is better to
increase HP.

-Nick

"Dean" wrote in message
om...
For those who do, how do you keep the weight of your audio system down?

Anyone have any good tips for minimizng weight without stripping the car

to bits?

Paul Vina

If you can keep the weight between the axles then it doesn't hurt as much as
you might think. If it's a real concern for you, make the sub box
removable. The rest of the equipment doesn't weigh enough to really worry
about.

Paul Vina

"Dean" wrote in message
om...
For those who do, how do you keep the weight of your audio system down?

Anyone have any good tips for minimizng weight without stripping the car

to bits?

Tom G

"Nick Holden" wrote in message
Just add more horsepower. I've got a 3rd generation Supra and
the goal is 800+ RWHP. The audio equipment is incidental.

HP/weight is the key, you can work on either but stripping weight
tends to reduce the fun of driving the car. I think it is better to
increase HP.

-Nick

The problem there is that excess weight still works against you in the
corners. For one it can throw off the weight balance of the car. It also
increases the amount of grip required by the tires and can reduce slalom and
grip pad speeds as well as lateral G's tha car can produce. The lateral G's
are just as fun as directional G's IMO. Also the amount of cash required to
increase HP is 10 to 20 times that what it costs to reduce weight.

om...