Brandon

Default TLM103 vs R-121 for stereo

I know this is somewhat apples to oranges here. I've got one of each
mic. I'm looking to buy another one to use primarily as drum
overheads and a general stereo set. The recent price increase of the
103 makes these mics closer in the price range than they used to be.
I do have a matched set of sound room oktavas. I don't like them much
for overheads as I don't feel I'm getting the toms as much as I would
like. I think I'm gonig for a "this is the drum kit" sound.?

My drum room is going to be a good size. My guess is 20'x30' with a
slopping ceiling that goes from say 8' to 15'. It's a house, I
haven't moved in yet, so I don't have the specifics, but by my home
studio standards, the room is "huge". ;-)

So, what kinds of things can I expect from an X/Y, ORTF, spaced set of
tlm103s vs. a blumlein set of R-121s? I've never heard a blumlein set
before, so I don't know what to expect.

I have a Langevin DVC, so I was thinking that I would be able to give
the R-121s a bit of rise in the 8kHz or 12kHz range to make up for
their natural roll off. LIkewise, I can adjust the tlm103 at those
frequencies too.

Any suggestions? Recommendations?
EganMedia

R121 R121 R121 R121 R121 R121 R121 R121 R121 R121 R121 R121 R121 R121 R121 R121
R121 R121 R121 R121 R121 R121 R121 R121 R121 R121 R121 R121 R121 R121 R121 R121
R121 R121 R121

Just my R121cents worth,

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com
Chris Stevens

If you have a choice between the two, I would go with the Royers for
overheads. Just be prepared to do some eq'ing if you want that bright pop
sheen. The royers deliver beautifully in that dept when eq'd. And most
ribbons eq very well. I run my royers through an nti pre-q 3 with airband
engaged, which seems to provide enough sheen.

Christopher Stevens
producer/engineer
cs productions, inc.
http://www.christopherstevens.com
http://www.fabmusic.com
"Brandon" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Geoff Wood

"Brandon" wrote in message
om...
I know this is somewhat apples to oranges here. I've got one of each
mic. I'm looking to buy another one to use primarily as drum
overheads and a general stereo set. The recent price increase of the
103 makes these mics closer in the price range than they used to be.

Just guessing here, but I would expect the 103s to be a bit strident on
cymbals ?

geoff

Justin Ulysses Morse

I've got a pair of Royer 121s that get used a hell of a lot more than
my pair of Neumann U89s, which aren't too dissimilar to the TLM103 I
suppose. If I had to give up one of these four mics, I would hand over
one of the U89s without hesitation. And I think the 121 has no real
shortage of treble. Sometimes old beat-up ribbon mics tend to sound a
bit rolled-off in the highs, and I suspect that can be due to ribbon
stretching and/or ferrous dust stuck in the magnet gap, as much as any
roll-off inherent in the design. On top of that, the 121 is magical in
a few ways that set it apart from other ribbons I've used, including
the B&O it was modelled after. In short, buy another 121 and don't
assume you'll need that EQ on the DVC.

ulysses

In article , Brandon
wrote:

[...]

Mikey

Remember, you can turn the 121's around & get the backside brightness,
which is almost like getting 2 mics for 1. However, I really think the
121s will be the better "OH/cymbal closer-in" mics, while I think the
103s will surprise on a more "roomy/distant" sound. I love the 103
midrange scoop for taming a less-than-optimal room. Is there any
reason you aren't considering better SDCs?

Mikey
Nova Music Productions

(Brandon) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Garthrr

In article 0ZWsb.144706$ao4.462764@attbi_s51, "Chris Stevens"
writes:

If you have a choice between the two, I would go with the Royers for
overheads. Just be prepared to do some eq'ing if you want that bright pop
sheen. The royers deliver beautifully in that dept when eq'd. And most
ribbons eq very well. I run my royers through an nti pre-q 3 with airband
engaged, which seems to provide enough sheen.

You can also turn the R 121 around so that the backside is toward the kit. It
is significantly brighter when used this way. I'm assuming that being a few
feet from the cymbals the mic would not be in any danger of being harmed from
the SPL of the cymbals although the mic is more vunerable to damage when used
this way.

Garth~

"I think the fact that music can come up a wire is a miracle."
Ed Cherney
RL,nyc

(Brandon) wrote in message . com...
Any suggestions? Recommendations?

Everybody is saying it: Royer Royer Royer. No joke... they are great
mics. Right now I only have one. I use it on the kick drum when doing
drums, and it is so good there that I cannot move it anywhere else, so
I am contemplating getting 2 more for overheads. And I do use a
TLM103 as a room mic sometimes and it does a pretty good job there,
bringing that presence bump it has to the distance I have it away from
the kit. Myself, I HATE that top end that everyone else loves which
gets harsh and strident in the digital realm.

Used to be with tape that the tape lost all the high end right away
and you had to favor bright mics and eq to replace it, knowing that
you were going to lose more when you mastered to vinyl on the lathe.
Now in the digital era, you don't lose any top... in fact, because the
wavelenghts are shorter, the resolution on the top tends to get very
brittle. I have been fighting with the mastering labs to attenuate
that f**ing "Sheen" that they think has to be on everything, and am
happy when I can get them to make a record sound dull, like an old
vinyl record. Records only sound duller till the ears get used to a
certain soundscape, which takes about 40 seconds, and only if they
have been subjected to something brighter immediately before. Since
most of the "competing" "product" out there sounds like crap a day
later, I don't care one whit. After all, I want to still be able to
listen to my records in 5 and 20 years. I don't want to love them
this week and not be able to stand them a week later cause they
produce ear fatigue.

Back to the topic on hand...Ribbons have an uncanny way of sustaining
a beautiful top end even into the digital crap era. For that reason
alone, one should get used to understanding that there is PLENTY of
top end in a Royer 121. My favorite mic hands down. but whatever you
do, best luck.

rl, nyc

Justin Ulysses Morse

Garthrr wrote:

You can also turn the R 121 around so that the backside is toward the kit. It
is significantly brighter when used this way. I'm assuming that being a few
feet from the cymbals the mic would not be in any danger of being harmed from
the SPL of the cymbals although the mic is more vunerable to damage when used
this way.

Where did you get that? You really think the SPL coming off of some
cymbals is going to damage a microphone?

ulysses
Ty Ford

In Article , Justin Ulysses Morse
wrote:
I've got a pair of Royer 121s that get used a hell of a lot more than
my pair of Neumann U89s, which aren't too dissimilar to the TLM103 I
suppose. If I had to give up one of these four mics, I would hand over
one of the U89s without hesitation. And I think the 121 has no real
shortage of treble. Sometimes old beat-up ribbon mics tend to sound a
bit rolled-off in the highs, and I suspect that can be due to ribbon
stretching and/or ferrous dust stuck in the magnet gap, as much as any
roll-off inherent in the design. On top of that, the 121 is magical in
a few ways that set it apart from other ribbons I've used, including
the B&O it was modelled after. In short, buy another 121 and don't
assume you'll need that EQ on the DVC.

ulysses

U,

Even new ribbons don't have anywhere near the HF respopnse of a condenser.
Sorry, I didn't hear the magic in the 121 or 122. They just sounded like
ribbon mics to me. The 122 was more sensitive due to the extra circuitry,
but that's not what I'd call magic.

Ribbons do work well in smoothing the nasty edges off of sources, but that's
due in great part to the rolled off top end, relative to condensers.

I have a U 89 and two TLM 013s. The TLM 103s sound very much alike. They
sound NOTHING like my U 89.

Regards,

Ty Ford

**Until the worm goes away, I have put "not" in front of my email address.
Please remove it if you want to email me directly.
For Ty Ford V/O demos, audio services and equipment reviews,
click on http://www.jagunet.com/~tford

Ty Ford

In Article ,
(RL,nyc) wrote:
(Brandon) wrote in message

. com...
Any suggestions? Recommendations?

Everybody is saying it: Royer Royer Royer. No joke...

No not everyone.

they are great
mics.

As with all, for some things.

Right now I only have one. I use it on the kick drum when doing
drums, and it is so good there that I cannot move it anywhere else, so
I am contemplating getting 2 more for overheads. And I do use a
TLM103 as a room mic sometimes and it does a pretty good job there,
bringing that presence bump it has to the distance I have it away from
the kit. Myself, I HATE that top end that everyone else loves which
gets harsh and strident in the digital realm.

Used to be with tape that the tape lost all the high end right away
and you had to favor bright mics and eq to replace it, knowing that
you were going to lose more when you mastered to vinyl on the lathe.
Now in the digital era, you don't lose any top... in fact, because the
wavelenghts are shorter, the resolution on the top tends to get very
brittle.

What wavelengths? The reasons for digital brittleness could fill up this
forum for a year, if you're referring to the problems with each and every
circuit. My top 4 a
1. Cheap Chinese mics
2. Bad mic/preamp combos
3. Cheesy preamps
4. Bad A/D conversion

I have been fighting with the mastering labs to attenuate
that f**ing "Sheen" that they think has to be on everything, and am
happy when I can get them to make a record sound dull, like an old
vinyl record. Records only sound duller till the ears get used to a
certain soundscape, which takes about 40 seconds, and only if they
have been subjected to something brighter immediately before. Since
most of the "competing" "product" out there sounds like crap a day
later, I don't care one whit. After all, I want to still be able to
listen to my records in 5 and 20 years. I don't want to love them
this week and not be able to stand them a week later cause they
produce ear fatigue.

We agree pretty much there.

Back to the topic on hand...Ribbons have an uncanny way of sustaining
a beautiful top end even into the digital crap era. For that reason
alone, one should get used to understanding that there is PLENTY of
top end in a Royer 121. My favorite mic hands down. but whatever you
do, best luck.

rl, nyc

Sorry, I can't hear it; backside or front. I'll stick with a Schoeps and
good preamps.

Regards,

Ty Ford

**Until the worm goes away, I have put "not" in front of my email address.
Please remove it if you want to email me directly.
For Ty Ford V/O demos, audio services and equipment reviews,
click on
http://www.jagunet.com/~tford

Scott Dorsey

RL,nyc wrote:

Everybody is saying it: Royer Royer Royer. No joke... they are great
mics. Right now I only have one. I use it on the kick drum when doing
drums, and it is so good there that I cannot move it anywhere else, so
I am contemplating getting 2 more for overheads. And I do use a
TLM103 as a room mic sometimes and it does a pretty good job there,
bringing that presence bump it has to the distance I have it away from
the kit. Myself, I HATE that top end that everyone else loves which
gets harsh and strident in the digital realm.

There are a lot of condenser mikes out there that don't have that peaky
top end, if that's what you're looking for.

And if you like the Royer for overheads, you might also like the Beyer
M160, which has a little bit more detail and I think a flatter upper
midrange than the Royer. It's also great on drum overheads, and since
it's a hypercardioid you can get it in a little closer than you can the
figure-8 mikes. My real problem using any of these for overheads is that
I have to just pull them so far back to get decent room sound.
Mike Rivers

In article writes:

Used to be with tape that the tape lost all the high end right away
and you had to favor bright mics and eq to replace it, knowing that
you were going to lose more when you mastered to vinyl on the lathe.
Now in the digital era, you don't lose any top... in fact, because the
wavelenghts are shorter, the resolution on the top tends to get very
brittle.

Microphone manufacturers seem to have quite a bit of control over the
frequency response shape of their mics. I wonder why they don't just
make flatter mics (in the directional patterns) for those who are
getting tired of the hyped high-mids.

It could be a competitive thing, that the majority of mics sold today
are still sold to inexperienced users, and those people would be
afraid of buying a mic that sounded dull compared to others. When you
get close to the $1000 range, it's not that hard to find a nice smooth
mic, or a contoured mic, whichever you want. But at the bottom-feeding
end, seems like if you want flat response, you have to get an omni,
and a somewhat noisy one at that.

Maybe one of those $35 Earthworks copy mics (Behringer?) would serve in
place of the Royer on the kick, freeing the Royer up to try elsewhere.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

LeBaron & Alrich

Justin Ulysses Morse wrote:

Garthrr wrote:

You can also turn the R 121 around so that the backside is toward the
kit. It is significantly brighter when used this way. I'm assuming that
being a few feet from the cymbals the mic would not be in any danger of
being harmed from the SPL of the cymbals although the mic is more
vunerable to damage when used this way.

Where did you get that? You really think the SPL coming off of some
cymbals is going to damage a microphone?

Not if you keep it away from the air blast of a hi-hat heading for
closure.

--
ha
LeBaron & Alrich

Scott Dorsey wrote:

And if you like the Royer for overheads, you might also like the Beyer
M160,

Hey, now you're talkin'; I really do often appreciate the M160 over
drums.

--
ha
LeBaron & Alrich

Brandon wrote:

(Mikey) wrote in message news:

Is there any reason you aren't considering better SDCs?

I'm not sure of what I can get for $1000 in the SDC area.

Consider that a mathced pair of Josephson Series 4's are less than a
couple hundred more...

--
ha
Rob Adelman

RL,nyc wrote:

Used to be with tape that the tape lost all the high end right away
and you had to favor bright mics and eq to replace it, knowing that

This is wrong. You have the process backwards.

Start at the source. Then choose microphone/preamp. Then position
microphone. Listen with ears. Everything else is secondary.

If all the other processes are set up properly, then anything else in
the chain, assuming modern digital or analog equipment, is WAY less
important.

I think what you are referring to is that digital tends to make certain
high frequencies sound a little more strident, so you like to attenuate
highs on some tracks to make them sound more pleasant at the end. Of
course this can be accomplished way back at the beginning of the chain
(by using a duller microphone). But please don't blame this phenomena on
analog recording and playback equipment.

-Rob

LeBaron & Alrich

Rob Adelman wrote:

RL,nyc wrote:

Used to be with tape that the tape lost all the high end right away
and you had to favor bright mics and eq to replace it, knowing that

This is wrong. You have the process backwards.

Rob (Mortgage Man),

Do you have even half a clue to whom you are replying in that manner,
and what are the man's accomplishments in professional performance and
recording?

Open mouth, insert real estate?

He's talking about the way he prefers to _make records_, what he knows
about analog response and specral retention _from direct and successful
experience in that medium_, and how that compares with his present
activities in the digital realm, which also happen to be direct and
successful.

He is suggesting that a whole lot of aural pain is begotten from
ignoring differences in the two realms and then becoming inured to
hearing way too much high end compared to what we appreciated in days
gone by.

Note how much you like vinyl; now read again what RL has written, in the
light of your appreciation for the older medium.

--
ha
Rob Adelman

LeBaron & Alrich wrote:

Rob (Mortgage Man),

What the hell is your problem with mortgages? And what does this have to
do with audio discussion?

Do you have even half a clue to whom you are replying in that manner,
and what are the man's accomplishments in professional performance and
recording?

What manner is that? And no, I do not know who RL is. And whatever his
accomplishments, how does this effect stating my opinion?

Open mouth, insert real estate?

What is your ****ing problem?

He's talking about the way he prefers to _make records_, what he knows
about analog response and specral retention _from direct and successful
experience in that medium_, and how that compares with his present
activities in the digital realm, which also happen to be direct and
successful.

That's cool. But I still think analog recorders are capable of capturing
all the high frequency material you give them. I think technical data
supports this as well.

Note how much you like vinyl; now read again what RL has written, in the
light of your appreciation for the older medium.

I did this before I spoke. I stand by my contention that the media is
capable of reproducing highs through the full spectum of human hearing.

EganMedia

It could be a competitive thing, that the majority of mics sold today
are still sold to inexperienced users, and those people would be
afraid of buying a mic that sounded dull compared to others.

That would explain why you can find TLM 170s for $1000 on Ebay. I think it is
the most underrated Neumann mic precisely because it doesn't have the added
zizz of so many other large (okay, medium) diaphragm mics.

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com
Les Cargill

Mike Rivers wrote:

In article writes:

[...]

Behringer ECM8000. Nice mic on kick.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

Les Cargill
Scott Dorsey

In article znr1068899120k@trad, Mike Rivers wrote:

Microphone manufacturers seem to have quite a bit of control over the
frequency response shape of their mics. I wonder why they don't just
make flatter mics (in the directional patterns) for those who are
getting tired of the hyped high-mids.

Because those of us who are getting tired of it are in the minority.
AKG makes a bunch of reasonably flat mikes, but what they sell in the
US are those horrible C1000 and C3000 mikes. The AKG folks tell me that
they are basically voiced specifically for the American market.

It could be a competitive thing, that the majority of mics sold today
are still sold to inexperienced users, and those people would be
afraid of buying a mic that sounded dull compared to others. When you
get close to the $1000 range, it's not that hard to find a nice smooth
mic, or a contoured mic, whichever you want. But at the bottom-feeding
end, seems like if you want flat response, you have to get an omni,
and a somewhat noisy one at that.

Well, it's true that it's a lot easier to make cheap omni capsules that
are good than it is to make cheap cardioid capsules that are any good.

Maybe one of those $35 Earthworks copy mics (Behringer?) would serve in
place of the Royer on the kick, freeing the Royer up to try elsewhere.

Actually, I think the Behringer is a knockoff of the older low-end
measurement mike that Josephson first made. Or maybe a knockoff of
the Crown, which came out a little bit after the Josephson. Or maybe
a knockoff of the Audix, which came out a little bit after the Crown.
Or maybe...

Scott Dorsey

Brandon wrote:

I'm not sure of what I can get for $1000 in the SDC area. From what I
read around here, I don't think $1k is gonig to get me something that
will bowl me over. Honestly, the Oktavas are good, but they seem
rather utilitarian to me. I knew, from this group, that buying from
the sound room would get me a good quality mic. They work and they
work well, but they're not my first choice on anything.

Try the Josephson Series Four. Two of them for $1000, and you will find
they are a lot cleaner than the Oktavas. Give them a listen. If you don't
like them, don't buy them. If you don't like them, then borrow a Schoeps
and just see if it makes you happy. If it doesn't, you probably won't be
happy with any of the small diaphragm condensers, which is a good thing to
know. But don't give up on them until you've done that.
Garthrr

writes:

You can also turn the R 121 around so that the backside is toward the kit.

It
is significantly brighter when used this way. I'm assuming that being a few
feet from the cymbals the mic would not be in any danger of being harmed

from
the SPL of the cymbals although the mic is more vunerable to damage when

used
this way.

Where did you get that? You really think the SPL coming off of some
cymbals is going to damage a microphone?

ulysses

No, as I said above I dont think it would although I have to admit that I was
considering the possibility.

Garth~

"I think the fact that music can come up a wire is a miracle."
Ed Cherney
Fletcher

Rob Adelman wrote:

That's cool. But I still think analog recorders are capable of capturing
all the high frequency material you give them. I think technical data
supports this as well.

Yes, they are... and then you put the tape in the box... and a little bit of
treble you had yesterday 'self erased' over night... so you have a little less
the next day... and then you put the tape in the box... and a little bit of
treble you had yesterday 'self erased' over night... so you have a little less
the next day... and then you put the tape in the box [multiply by 30-45
days... or 3 months... or 6 months... and you start to get the picture.

"RL,nyc" wrote:

Used to be with tape that the tape lost all the high end right away
and you had to favor bright mics and eq to replace it, knowing that
you were going to lose more when you mastered to vinyl on the lathe.
Now in the digital era, you don't lose any top...

snip happens

Back to the topic on hand...Ribbons have an uncanny way of sustaining
a beautiful top end even into the digital crap era. For that reason
alone, one should get used to understanding that there is PLENTY of
top end in a Royer 121. My favorite mic hands down. but whatever you
do, best luck.

Note how much you like vinyl; now read again what RL has written, in the
light of your appreciation for the older medium.

I did this before I spoke. I stand by my contention that the media is
capable of reproducing highs through the full spectum of human hearing.

Capability and reality being two different things. Yes, the machinery is
capable of capturing and reproducing highs through the full spectrum of human
hearing... no, it's not capable of preserving the original *quantity* of highs
originally laid upon the tape... so you start with some **** that's a little
brighter than you envision it ending up as you know you're going to have some
self erasure issues.

Some folks that have been through the record making process in the analog
domain a couple/three times have experienced this... it's not something anyone
made up on the spot... honest.
--
Fletcher
Mercenary Audio

Nathan Eldred

That's a hard choice, because I like both mics in their right place,
but neither for overheads. The R-121, is a ribbon, and a damn fine
one, but for me ribbons don't work on overheads in general. The
TLM103 is a condenser, which in general I like better, but it's a LDC
and it seems kind of beamy in it's directionality and the ups and
downs in it's frequency response (especially off axis) make it not so
great a condenter. I'd go for the TLM if I had to. I'd go for
neither if I had a choice, for this application.

Nathan Eldred
http://www.atlasproaudio.com

[...]

RL,nyc

(Ty Ford) wrote in message ...

What wavelengths? The reasons for digital brittleness could fill up this
forum for a year, if you're referring to the problems with each and every
circuit. My top 4 a
1. Cheap Chinese mics
2. Bad mic/preamp combos
3. Cheesy preamps
4. Bad A/D conversion

I am going to try to explain what I am talking about in the only way
that I know how: by metaphor and simile.

First of all, about audio recording tape losing high-end: audiotape is
coated with a layer of particles which are subject to magnetic force.
When audio is converted into a magnetic field it aligns the audiotape
to conform to it as it passes over the record head. But because we
live in an imperfect world, the particles on audiotape do not
necessarily stay where we put them. If they come in contact with any
other magnetic field they will get readjusted. They will also be
subject to any other physical force like dropping the tape on the
floor. This won't completely rearrange the magnetic field but may
have some impact. The newly magnetized tape is also now able to
influence anything placed near it, so that when you store the tape,
one layer of the tape may influence its neighbors. This is what leads
to the effect called print through, which is quite famous for being
very audible on some Led Zeppelin tapes, because the hotter you record
to tape is stronger the magnetic field on the tape so that when you
wind it up you have a bigger chance of getting this undesirable
effect.

Now, we should think about sound waves and frequencies. Lower
frequencies are longer and higher frequencies are shorter. This much
does not need Einstein. Let's say that we had piles of sand to
represent the different wavelengths. Nice big hills of sand to
represent the bass and nice little ripples of sand to represent the
high-end. Now along comes an earthquake. It's not a very big
earthquake just a little one. It is not very hard to imagine that the
larger hills which represents the longer waves of the lower
frequencies might still be recognizable after a bit of shaking whereas
the shorter frequencies would become more diffused.

This is exactly what happens on audiotape. You record something and
you store the tape and you come back to listen to it critically and if
you have the ears for it you notice that the sound has "softened". It
may seem as though the sound has "settled", or gotten "smoother", or
that you have lost high-end. In fact, what has happened to the
high-end has happened to everything on the tape, but the shorter
wavelengths of the treble show evidence that the low-end can manage to
hide. If you have been through this enough, you may begin to record
bright and to favor mics which give you a lot of top, knowing that the
top and is going to soften, or sag. You may also start to use
equalization to recover that snappy high-end.

Now that we are in a world of digital recording media, things have
changed considerably. Theoretically we should be able to reproduce
things accurately and we should expect the exact same information
every time we play something we have recorded. While we CAN recover
the same information every time we play back to digitally recorded
tape, unfortunately we cannot yet record sound accurately, especially
as we get into the high-end frequencies, no matter what they are
trying to sell you. Again I need to resort to metaphor and simile:

There are no waves in digital media. Reproduction is by straight
lines only, or by the binary system of 1 or not one. It may interest
some that the original concept which turned into the computer is
reported to have been suggested to the guy who invented this by the
ancient Chinese system of the I-Ching, which is a divinitory system of
straight and broken lines. The man who invented the modern computer
replaced the I-Ching's straight lines with one's and the broken lines
with zeros. Anyway, back to our story:

Imagine that you needed to reproduce some waves using only straight
lines. It is easy to see that with only two lines you would only be
able to draw a zigzag. With three lines, a plateau. With four, 5, 6
and more lines you start to get a better representation. We used to
make circles out of straight lines in math class. Maybe you did too.
Anyway, this has been one of the major difficulties in reproducing
waveform in the digital realm. The longer and smoother waveforms of
the low-end require less straight lines to reproduce an image of than
do the shorter wavelengths of the high-end. The shorter the
wavelength, the more straight lines it would require to accurately
reproduce. This is why having as many bits as possible is preferable
in the digital realm. This ought to be pretty easy to picture. This
is before the issue of converters, preamps, mics or anything else.

I hope that my explanations help to understand what I have been
saying. The analogy is not perfect, but it ought to be able to let
the reader develop a much better mental piture of what is going on in
the analog and digital realms when recording audio. Please do not
drive a truck through my specious arguments. I already understand, as
the Taoists say, that : "only error is transmitted".

Best regards,
rl,nyc

Ty Ford

In Article ,
(Brandon) wrote:
(Mikey) wrote in message news:
Is there any reason you aren't considering better SDCs?

I'm not sure of what I can get for $1000 in the SDC area. From what I
read around here, I don't think $1k is gonig to get me something that
will bowl me over. Honestly, the Oktavas are good, but they seem
rather utilitarian to me. I knew, from this group, that buying from
the sound room would get me a good quality mic. They work and they
work well, but they're not my first choice on anything.

a pair of matched, used KM 84

Both the 103 and 121 have a sound, a sound that I refer to as "higher
fi". I'm at least familiar enough with the 103 and 121 to know that
if I get another one, I'll be dealing with a great quality mic. I'm
sure opinions vary on the 103 and 121. I'm hoping that the experience
of this group with both mics can assist me in picking a mic that might
perform better. It's still all subjective I understand.

The two are very different. For low level sources, I would NOT try a ribbon.
I didn't care for either royer (either backwards or forwards) on acoustic as
compared to a good condenser. There just wasn't enough top end and air for me.

Another reason I'm limiting my choices is that I'm interested in
trying out different stereo techniques. I don't have a set of mics to
try a blumlein pair with. I don't think I'll get that with another
SDC set. The Royer would allow me to experiment and see if I like it,
plus retain its value should I decide to bail or make another choice.

Brandon

Try two at 4050 for blumlein. (note to Bob Cain: These are not elitest mics)

Regards,

Ty Ford

**Until the worm goes away, I have put "not" in front of my email address.
Please remove it if you want to email me directly.
For Ty Ford V/O demos, audio services and equipment reviews,
click on
http://www.jagunet.com/~tford

Ty Ford

In Article , Rob Adelman
wrote:

RL,nyc wrote:

[...]

Rob,

I think he's right. Analog tape does suck up a lot of HF transients. We call
that tape compression.

Regards,

Ty Ford

**Until the worm goes away, I have put "not" in front of my email address.
Please remove it if you want to email me directly.
For Ty Ford V/O demos, audio services and equipment reviews,
click on http://www.jagunet.com/~tford

Scott Dorsey

Ty Ford wrote:
I think he's right. Analog tape does suck up a lot of HF transients. We call
that tape compression.

It can if you want it to. But if you don't want it to, you can run at low
operating levels and get very nice response to transients. At 185 nW/M
with 468, I can record a trumpet and you won't be able to tell the source
input from the playback head output.

You can soften things with analogue tape, but there's no reason you have to.
Mike Rivers

In article writes:

I still think analog recorders are capable of capturing
all the high frequency material you give them. I think technical data
supports this as well.

This is true. A well aligned good quality analog recorder will record
reasonably flat well beyond the nyquist frequency of a 44.1 or 48 kHz
digital recorder. But that's REASONABLY flat, on good days, maybe
+/- 1 dB between 1 kHz and 25 kHz at 30 ips. A 96 kHz digital recorder
will be dead flat up to at least 40 kHz. Of course distortion products
for each will be different, and measurably greater with simple
techniques on an analog recorder. This is part of what makes for the
difference in sound, and the preference for one over the other in
certain circumstances.

It's true that from the first rewind-and-play, the high end on an
analog tape deteriorates. Some engineers are really bothered by this
and attempt to compensate by adding more top end when recording (and
also adding more distortion and phase shift between harmonics of the
same tone), others just like to complain about it in Mix interviews.

Still others enjoy the convenience and reliability of an analog
recorder, and prefer the sound of the perceived disadvantages more
than the measured advantages.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

Scott Dorsey

In article znr1068990100k@trad, Mike Rivers wrote:

It's true that from the first rewind-and-play, the high end on an
analog tape deteriorates. Some engineers are really bothered by this
and attempt to compensate by adding more top end when recording (and
also adding more distortion and phase shift between harmonics of the
same tone), others just like to complain about it in Mix interviews.

If the machine is calibrated right, the machine emphasis should take
care of all of this.

There are still problems with SOME tapes (like 456) which tend to lose
a little top end after a day or so of storage. But that is a flaw in
the tape formulation and not something inherent in analogue recording.
Rob Adelman

RL,nyc wrote:

This is exactly what happens on audiotape. You record something and
you store the tape and you come back to listen to it critically and if
you have the ears for it you notice that the sound has "softened". It
may seem as though the sound has "settled", or gotten "smoother", or
that you have lost high-end. In fact, what has happened to the
high-end has happened to everything on the tape, but the shorter
wavelengths of the treble show evidence that the low-end can manage to
hide. If you have been through this enough, you may begin to record
bright and to favor mics which give you a lot of top, knowing that the
top and is going to soften, or sag. You may also start to use
equalization to recover that snappy high-end.

Great explanation. I am sure I have run into this but since it is a
gradual process may have overlooked what was actually happening. So
assuming I am recording on an analog recorder and want to prepare for
this, how would you estimate how much loss to expect? Tell me if this is
wrong, but I am guessing you would add some brightness on record either
through mic selection/position or eq and reduce the high on playback
slowing increasing it as I am going through hundreds of playbacks?

-Rob

EganMedia

Still others enjoy the convenience and reliability of an analog
recorder,

That's kind of like saying "the convenience and reliablity of a woman".

I like both women and analog recording. And for some things there is no
substitute for either, but I find dogs and backed-up digital to be both more
convenient and reliable.

....and then my wife walked in while I was typing this...

I'll be doing my own laundry this week.

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com
LeBaron & Alrich

Fletcher wrote:

Rob Adelman wrote:

That's cool. But I still think analog recorders are capable of capturing
all the high frequency material you give them. I think technical data
supports this as well.

Yes, they are... and then you put the tape in the box... and a little bit of
treble you had yesterday 'self erased' over night... so you have a little less
the next day... and then you put the tape in the box... and a little bit of
treble you had yesterday 'self erased' over night... so you have a little less
the next day... and then you put the tape in the box [multiply by 30-45
days... or 3 months... or 6 months... and you start to get the picture.

So if I want to get a portion of that picture from day one through day
stick big number here while using digital storage I can do so just by
starting off with a ribbon mic, kind of like RL suggested. Who knows,
maybe he's done this before.

--
ha