ThomasT

Default SSM2019 preamp

Hi!

I know theres another thread about preamp designs...

What do you (the preamps profies...) think about taking an SSM2019 in
combination with a SSM2142 as ouptput stage. Would this make a usable
preamp for uncritical stuff? Toms, dummy-tracks etc.pp. 60dB gain is
more than enough.

What quality can I expect?

Since the place on a 160mmx100mm PCB is limited what compromises can
be made. And which shall not?

Thanks
Thomas
Scott Dorsey

ThomasT wrote:

What do you (the preamps profies...) think about taking an SSM2019 in
combination with a SSM2142 as ouptput stage. Would this make a usable
preamp for uncritical stuff? Toms, dummy-tracks etc.pp. 60dB gain is
more than enough.

I don't know anyone who has really listened seriously to the 2019 yet.
Give it some time; it's still very new.

I can say the INA 103 is pretty good if you want a one-chip solution.

Since the place on a 160mmx100mm PCB is limited what compromises can
be made. And which shall not?

With the INA 103 the big problem is that it's very sensitive to local
magnetic fields, so the chip needs to be a few inches away from even a
toroidal power transformer.
Pooh Bear

ThomasT wrote:

Hi!

I know theres another thread about preamp designs...

What do you (the preamps profies...) think about taking an SSM2019 in
combination with a SSM2142 as ouptput stage. Would this make a usable
preamp for uncritical stuff? Toms, dummy-tracks etc.pp. 60dB gain is
more than enough.

That's a lot of money for 'uncritical stuff'.

I like to design with discretes for the front-end.

As for output stage, SSM just do a handy package. You can do just as well
with other ICs if you know how to configure them.

What quality can I expect?

Pretty reasonable knowing SSM.

Since the place on a 160mmx100mm PCB is limited what compromises can
be made. And which shall not?

That's a big pcb. What else is on it ? What compromises do you think you
might *need* to make ?

Graham

Thomas Thiele

Pooh Bear wrote:

That's a lot of money for 'uncritical stuff'.

Your right. After looking at the prices the idea seems not so good
anymore.
Would be more than 160Eus/$. And for about 250 there are some
solutions out there.
At first I wanted to wait for the RME octapre. But 1000$ for a nearly
unused device...
Would be another nice mic.

I like to design with discretes for the front-end.

As for output stage, SSM just do a handy package. You can do just as well
with other ICs if you know how to configure them.

That's a big pcb. What else is on it ? What compromises do you think you
might *need* to make ?

I forgot to say, 6-8 preamps. I skiped the idea to buy a mixer for
that.
I really dont't need it. I have 8 usable to good preamps and channel
strips.
I just need at least 6 additional preamps.

Compromises means layout compromizes.