John Palermo

Default ProTools Studio/What do I need?

I am going to sell nearly everything in my current studio in order to
build a ProTools studio. I now have a RAMSA board, a 400 MHz Mac with
Digital Performer, a 2408, Extreme Midi interface and a bunch of
outboard processors.

What do I need to completely modernize my digital recording from the
ground up? I want to record to a separate device, not a computer hard
drive as I do now. I also need a sequencer program (like Digital
Performer) - is ProTools is sequencer or just a digital editor?

Obviously, I'm behind the curve on the latest technology and I need to
know where to start. Any help would be very much appreciated.

JP

Rick Powell

(John Palermo) wrote in message . com...
I am going to sell nearly everything in my current studio in order to
build a ProTools studio. I now have a RAMSA board, a 400 MHz Mac with
Digital Performer, a 2408, Extreme Midi interface and a bunch of
outboard processors.

What do I need to completely modernize my digital recording from the
ground up? I want to record to a separate device, not a computer hard
drive as I do now. I also need a sequencer program (like Digital
Performer) - is ProTools is sequencer or just a digital editor?

Obviously, I'm behind the curve on the latest technology and I need to
know where to start. Any help would be very much appreciated.

JP

PT has several "versions". It is a MIDI sequencer (one can argue not
the most elegant one), a digital editor AND a digital recorder all in
one. All versions are compatible with either PC or Mac.

What is referred to as "PTLE" is a "native" version, which uses the
host computer to perform all recording, editing and sequencing
functions. This is the version used in the following:

*PT Free (a free OS, crippled to only have 8 tracks enabled)
*MBox (a dedicated breakout box which records 2 tracks at a time, can
record/edit/playback up to 32 tracks internally)
*Digi002 (a dedicated automated fader pack/breakout box which can
record up to 8 tracks at a time (18 tracks if external converters are
added), and can also record/edit/playback up to 32 tracks internally).
There is a rackmount version, the 002R, that does not have a fader
pack. This model replaced the Digi001. All PTLE systems are limited
by the processing power of the host computer, as well as the software
limitations on track count, etc. enforced by Digidesign. There is an
inherent "latency" in the system (time lag between input and monitored
sound output), which may or may not be a problem depending on the
setting, the host computer's power, and the user's ability to tolerate
the time lag.

The more expensive version of PT is referred to as "TDM", where much
of the processing is done by microprocessor chips in PCI cards which
are installed in the host computer. This is the version used in the
following:

*PT 24|Mix (up to 48 kHz/24 bit sampling rate/resolution)
*PT HD and HD Accel (up to 192 KHz/24 bit sampling rate/resolution)

You can keep adding processing cards up to a point to the TDM systems
to increase the system power; unlike PTLE, the TDM systems are not
substantially limited by the processing power of the host computer.
External converters are required for analog-to-digital and
digital-to-analog conversion. The user must also add mic pre-amps and
line amps (Digidesign does make the Control 24 which features 16 mic
pre's and 24 automated faders). If fader control is desired rather
than mousing, one must add a controller like the Digidesign ProControl
or Control 24, Mackie HUI, or other compatible controller.

TDM systems are much more powerful and flexible than PTLE systems, but
they are also much more expensive. There is very little latency in
the TDM systems.

If you go the Digidesign site
www.digidesign.com, especially the User
Conference under "Support", you can find the answers to a lot of the
more detailed questions you are bound to ask.

RP
Justin Ulysses Morse

John Palermo wrote:

I am going to sell nearly everything in my current studio in order to
build a ProTools studio. I now have a RAMSA board, a 400 MHz Mac with
Digital Performer, a 2408, Extreme Midi interface and a bunch of
outboard processors.

What do I need to completely modernize my digital recording from the
ground up? I want to record to a separate device, not a computer hard
drive as I do now. I also need a sequencer program (like Digital
Performer) - is ProTools is sequencer or just a digital editor?

Obviously, I'm behind the curve on the latest technology and I need to
know where to start. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Do you want to record to ProTools or do you want to record to a
separate device? ProTools records to a computer hard drive, as you do
now. I suppose you could record to a standalone recorder and then
import your tracks into ProTools for editing and mixing, but most any
standalone recorder you'll find today, and certainly any that allows
you to easily bring your tracks into ProTools, will record onto a
"computer" hard drive mounted inside the standalone recorder, which is
really just a purpose-built computer. If you can afford it, buy a
RADAR. But it's not really anything more than a proprietary recording
computer.

By most accounts, I think Digital Performer is probably considered more
"modern" than ProTools. Why not just upgrade to a newer version? Your
400MHz Macintosh has to be either a G3 or a G4 so it is capable of
running OS10 and therefore DP4. If you're using an old MOTU interface
it must be a PCI machine so I know you can upgrade the processor if you
have to. Though a new machine might be a good idea. What exactly is
wrong with your MOTU setup? Since you're already familiar with MOTU's
software I suggest you stick with them (unless you hate it) and get
current with them. I'm sure you can get a few bucks for selling your
Ramsa board, and maybe MOTU has a trade-in program for upgrading to a
current interface and DP4. Moving to OS10 will help you feel "up to
date" because it has a lot of interface enhancements that make (me)
more productive (so I can goof off more efficiently...). MOTU seems to
be THE company most on the ball as far as OS10 compatibility. I think
switching to ProTools at this point would be a step backwards for you,
unless you have $10k to spend on an HD system, and even then you'd be
better off with something else. Like a RADAR.

Of course, I use analog tape so what the hell do I know about updates?

ulysses
Robert Ober

Sugarite wrote:

Do not consider any Protools LE interface but the 002 Rack. The Mbox is
feeble, the 001 is half-assed all-round and unuseable on G5's, and the 002
makes you pay an extra $1200 for a bunch of toys that nobody needs. The
002R has decent mic pre's, good a/d, and the Firewire interface means it's
going to hold its value for a long time to come. The current included
plug-in bundle is nice too, the T-Racks EQ in particular is essential to any
DAW.

You make some good points but I am curious about the Mbox. What is
feeble about it? I just bought a Dual 2GHZ G5 and would like to say I
have ProTools. I was hoping to save money by using the Mbox on the G5.
I have been tracking with a Motu 896 and my TiBook.

Thanks Much,
Robert A. Ober

Chris Smalt

Robert wrote:

I am curious about the Mbox. What is feeble about it? I
just bought a Dual 2GHZ G5 and would like to say I have ProTools.

For this application, the Mbox is perfect. g

Chris

______________________________________
Please remove the r from my address to reply by email

EggHd

I am curious about the Mbox. What is feeble about it? I just bought a
Dual 2GHZ G5 and would like to say I have ProTools.

Why buy the top of the line MAC and the bottom of the line pro tools interface?

---------------------------------------
EggHd

He didn't say that he actually wanted to USE ProTools, he only said he
wanted to SAY he HAD ProTools.

Understood.

Chris Smalt

EggHd wrote:

Why buy the top of the line MAC and the
bottom of the line pro tools interface?

Juxtaposition often works well in art.

Chris

Please remove the r from my address to reply by email