Blind Joni

Default New PC computer Setup to use MOTU 24I/O?

I need to construct 3 PC systems for 24 track recording/playback for live club
setups. The MOTU 24 I/O is the only solution to fit the budget...as well as
available rack space. I have older MOTU setups..1224 and 2408 working on a
machine now and have never had real trouble as long as proper drivers were
installed. In building new machines, anyone have suggestions for MOBO's,
processors..etc that work well with the MOTU hardware?
Thanks,

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637
Thomas Bishop

"Blind Joni" wrote in message
I need to construct 3 PC systems for 24 track recording/playback for live

club
setups. The MOTU 24 I/O is the only solution to fit the budget...as well

as
available rack space. I have older MOTU setups..1224 and 2408 working on a
machine now and have never had real trouble as long as proper drivers were
installed. In building new machines, anyone have suggestions for MOBO's,
processors..etc that work well with the MOTU hardware?

Let me get out my old mobo. Okay, it's an Asus A7s333. Notice I said
"old." Don't get it. I bought it because my Delta 1010 didn't work with
the Via-based board I had. Two weeks later I decided to upgrade to a 24i
and the 324 card wouldn't install. I bought a new motherboard and all is
great now. It's an MSI K7N2 and is working just fine.

Keep in mind that these are all AMD motherboards. I'm running an Athlon XP
1.24 GHz processor and I like it. If you're a Pentium person then all bets
are off and you can disregard my entire post.

John L Rice

"Blind Joni" wrote in message
I need to construct 3 PC systems for 24 track recording/playback for live

club
setups. The MOTU 24 I/O is the only solution to fit the budget...as well

as
available rack space. I have older MOTU setups..1224 and 2408 working on a
machine now and have never had real trouble as long as proper drivers were
installed. In building new machines, anyone have suggestions for MOBO's,
processors..etc that work well with the MOTU hardware?
Thanks,

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637

I'm using a MOTU HD192 and 2408 MkIII with a PCI-424 card ( of course ) on a
ASUS P4PE motherboard and it seems to work well. Adaptec SCSI card, Matrox
dual video and UAD-1 cards too. 1 MB RAM.

Best of luck!

John L Rice

ar3a

"Blind Joni" wrote in message
I need to construct 3 PC systems for 24 track recording/playback for live

club
setups. The MOTU 24 I/O is the only solution to fit the budget...as well

as
available rack space. I have older MOTU setups..1224 and 2408 working on a
machine now and have never had real trouble as long as proper drivers were
installed. In building new machines, anyone have suggestions for MOBO's,
processors..etc that work well with the MOTU hardware?
Thanks,

Hi,
I'm using the 2408MK3 (424 card) with an Asus-P4G8X Deluxe mother board. I
love it. It works great, even with other firewire devices installed. No
problems! Also, when you couldn't install the MOTU before, what error
message were you getting? I've been able to correct some install issues
with MOTU gear and other PC's.

Adam Calaitzis

I have a 24 I/O (with PCI-424 card) running perfectly on a Asus P4C800
Delux with a Pentium 4 3.0 ghz with HT.

No problems at all, about 4 months so far of daily use.

Adam Calaitzis
Toyland Recording Studio
www.toyland.com.au

"Blind Joni" wrote in message
I need to construct 3 PC systems for 24 track recording/playback for live

club
setups. The MOTU 24 I/O is the only solution to fit the budget...as well

as
available rack space. I have older MOTU setups..1224 and 2408 working on a
machine now and have never had real trouble as long as proper drivers were
installed. In building new machines, anyone have suggestions for MOBO's,
processors..etc that work well with the MOTU hardware?
Thanks,

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637

Rob

I've got the 24i/o and 2408MkIII running on the Asus P4PE with the Intel
3.06 GHz Pentium 4 CPU

As I've built a lot of systems, I too had problems when I tried using VIA
chipsets and interfacing outboard audio/video devices. So now I stay away
from VIA chipsets (for Athlon CPUs) and stay with Intel P4.

"Blind Joni" wrote in message
I need to construct 3 PC systems for 24 track recording/playback for live

club
setups. The MOTU 24 I/O is the only solution to fit the budget...as well

as
available rack space. I have older MOTU setups..1224 and 2408 working on a
machine now and have never had real trouble as long as proper drivers were
installed. In building new machines, anyone have suggestions for MOBO's,
processors..etc that work well with the MOTU hardware?
Thanks,

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637

Blind Joni

thanks everyone!!

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637
Judy and Karl

Default Rob / Adam, maybe you can help....was New PC computer Setup to use MOTU 24I/O?

Rob, I'm running a 24i/o on an ASUS P4PE with a 2.4 GHz P4, 512M RAM and I
get what appear to be random "skips" on recording. Doesn't appear to be
related to track count ( happens if I record 2 tracks or 18 tracks. the skip
happens on all tracks). Shows up as a discontinuous waveform with a click,
as if a chunk of audio didn't make it to the HD. Running Windows ME, Cubase
5, Matrox G400 . No LAN, no modem, no nothing. Cubase doesn't show heavy
usage of either the CPU or the HD. Got any ideas?

thanks, Karl

"Blind Joni" wrote in message
I need to construct 3 PC systems for 24 track recording/playback for

live
club
setups. The MOTU 24 I/O is the only solution to fit the budget...as well

as
available rack space. I have older MOTU setups..1224 and 2408 working on

machine now and have never had real trouble as long as proper drivers

were
installed. In building new machines, anyone have suggestions for MOBO's,
processors..etc that work well with the MOTU hardware?
Thanks,

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637

Blind Joni

Shows up as a discontinuous waveform with a click,
as if a chunk of audio didn't make it to the HD. Running Windows ME

The ME is the problem I would say.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637

S O'Neill

Even Microsoft admits that ME is the worst POS they ever put out (no,
they don't call it that). H-P has an in-warranty upgrade to XP for
those home users who figure it out within a year.

"Blind Joni" wrote in message

Shows up as a discontinuous waveform with a click,
as if a chunk of audio didn't make it to the HD. Running Windows ME

The ME is the problem I would say.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637

Roger W. Norman

"Judy and Karl" wrote in message
Rob, I'm running a 24i/o on an ASUS P4PE with a 2.4 GHz P4, 512M RAM and I
get what appear to be random "skips" on recording. Doesn't appear to be
related to track count ( happens if I record 2 tracks or 18 tracks. the

skip
happens on all tracks). Shows up as a discontinuous waveform with a click,
as if a chunk of audio didn't make it to the HD. Running Windows ME,

Cubase
5, Matrox G400 . No LAN, no modem, no nothing. Cubase doesn't show heavy
usage of either the CPU or the HD. Got any ideas?

I'd agree with John on ME being the culprit. ME just plain sucks (sorry for
saying that if you like it). It doesn't increase the capabilities past 98SE
and it's no where near as stable and capable like Win2k or XP. Upgrade to
XP and you should be fine. Probably one of your better bets anyway, whether
one is trying to record or not. But in this case, ME was never a solid
performer with multi-media. And when you want to record, I'm sure, as
you've noted, you don't want to be hearing glitches or small missing parts.

Any computer shows around your parts? Usually you can get XP fairly easily
and for a good bit less than retail.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

Roger W. Norman

"S O'Neill" wrote in message
Even Microsoft admits that ME is the worst POS they ever put out (no,
they don't call it that). H-P has an in-warranty upgrade to XP for
those home users who figure it out within a year.

Yep. MS ought to pay everyone that bought it back or give them XP for free.
What a **** thing for MS to do. I know I've ranted about paying consumers
being beta testers with apps today, but in the case of ME it was alpha
testing and the release never went past beta. It just got released. ****
think for MS to do. I thought just a little bit better of them than that.

--

"Blind Joni" wrote in message

Shows up as a discontinuous waveform with a click,
as if a chunk of audio didn't make it to the HD. Running Windows ME

The ME is the problem I would say.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637

Arny Krueger

"Roger W. Norman" wrote in message

"Judy and Karl" wrote in message

Rob, I'm running a 24i/o on an ASUS P4PE with a 2.4 GHz P4, 512M RAM
and I get what appear to be random "skips" on recording. Doesn't
appear to be related to track count ( happens if I record 2 tracks
or 18 tracks. the skip happens on all tracks). Shows up as a
discontinuous waveform with a click, as if a chunk of audio didn't
make it to the HD. Running Windows ME, Cubase
5, Matrox G400 . No LAN, no modem, no nothing. Cubase doesn't show
heavy usage of either the CPU or the HD. Got any ideas?

This is the classic lost data problem. It could be hardware-related i.e.,
bus domination by a video card, or it could be resource constraint related
i.e., too many resident programs.

If this is a general-purpose machine that also surfs the web, issues like
spyware and viruss become significant. I've seen a lot of machines brought
back from the edge by "Ad-Aware", freeware spyware remover.

I'd agree with John on ME being the culprit. ME just plain sucks
(sorry for saying that if you like it). It doesn't increase the
capabilities past 98SE and it's no where near as stable and capable
like Win2k or XP. Upgrade to XP and you should be fine. Probably
one of your better bets anyway, whether one is trying to record or
not. But in this case, ME was never a solid performer with
multi-media. And when you want to record, I'm sure, as you've noted,
you don't want to be hearing glitches or small missing parts.

Any computer shows around your parts? Usually you can get XP fairly
easily and for a good bit less than retail.

Totally agreed that ME was one of MS's worst ideas in the last decade.
Totally agreed that XP is a dramatic upgrade in just about every way.

However the ME stench is so bad that upgrading from ME to XP should be
avoided in deference to a clean install of XP.

It turns out that one can get rid of the more objectionable parts of ME with
judicious use of MSCONFIG and/or REGEDIT fields related to MSCONFIG. Do
things right and you're pretty close to SE, for what that's worth in the
current context. Many of ME's featchurs were implemented as resident
programs that are loaded after boot. Keep them from being loaded, and you
have a cleaner system. However, the basic stench of inherent unreliability
and junk code can not be totally removed without deep-sixing ME.

Roger W. Norman

OK, I'll agree that a clean install of XP is warrented any time you can
afford to do it. If one has legal applications that will not install on XP
then that's a different subject. Either one commits to an entire new
OS/application re-install or one simply upgrades. That means peripheral
drivers, raid drivers/mobo drivers, etc, along with the applications. So
let's make it clear. Anyone wanting to do an upgrade into a clean directory
had better have all the updates from MS first. Otherwise a lot of things
aren't going to run or they will run wrong.