Jeff

Default 3D audio - Your recommendations please

Hello,

I'm looking to create positional 3d sound, but I'm having some trouble
deciding how to do it. Here's the problem:

Samplitude is good for 5.1 surround sound, but doesn't provide
localized sound.
RAD Game Tools is just spatialization type stuff, and I don't need an
api.
Waves 360 surround is just more 5.1 panning - not positional sound
etc... Panning just doesn't cut it. And I don't want spatialization or
global type processing.

So, I've managed to dig out information on HRTFs and crosstalk. So
far, I've managed to find these:

Spin Audio - http://www.spinaudio.com/
Maven3D - http://maven3d.com/en/
Wave Arts - http://www.wavearts.com/

There's an online demo at
http://maven3d.com/en/experience_it....&XP=12&HILO=LO

And it sounds really good, but I'm basically a programmer, and I would
like to get some better opinions on sound and stuff. I want to pick 1
platform to work with and not 2 or 3 or whatever. (It's very expensive
for me if I make the wrong decision at the beginning... some packages
cost several thousand dollars, and I'd rather not do that.)

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing, or any of the
above HRTF based things? Which provides the 'widest' sound?

From what I understand about this stuff, HRTF sound is basically for
headphones, but with the proper crosstalk cancellation, the signals
can be delivered through speakers.

I want flexibility and options and I don't want to sacrifice quality.

Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks