Hugh Hogan

Default Range Rover and Hi Fi

Hi all

I'm driving a Range Rover (1989) diesel and it makes a lot of noise both
from the engine and the road. I have a reasonable Pioneer stereo in it (
45W x 4) and crap Land Rover speakers. All the speakers are 10cm ones. The
main problem is that I can't seem to get any bass response from the
speakers. Any I do get is swallowed by the road and engine noise. I would
like to stick with the 10cm speaker size as it fits neatly into the doors.
I do propose to change them for 100w speakers but will 10cm speakers give me
any bass at all. If to what sub do I need and what is the difference
between ported, free air and enclosures types.

Also can someone take the time to explain what nominal input power means.??

Thanks in advance for all the replies you are going to send

Hugh

Any suggestions ???

TomTom

I have a 96 discovery, if you have the time and the motivation you might
consider laying down some sound deadening mat on the floor and doors. The
road noise is considerably lower. For a diesel I'd recommend perhaps getting
a new hood liner too to keep the sound down. Check out
http://www.b-quiet.com. It is a fairly tedious job, took me 3 days for my
discovery.

Those 10cm speakers are probably 4" just as in my 96 discovery, you're not
going to get much bass from a 4" speaker regardless of what you put in
there. The most common subwoofer is a standard enclosure with no ports. I
have a small box with two 6.5" JL Audio subwoofers in my 96 discovery and it
works well for me. A single 8" or 10" would probably work also. The only
reason I went with 6.5" subs is for the mounting depth. It allowed me to
make a flat shallow box that's only 5.5" deep (outside dimension). Free air
is not used much really, and ported boxes allow you to tune the box and get
a couple more dB's

You probably don't need to change the 10cm speakers, just add a subwoofer
and a good sub amplifier. You could probably get away with a good 10" sub
and a 200W amp for $300 - $350. There are also several companies that make
"all in one" solutions where the sub enclosure is built with an amplifier
and all you have to do is run power and RCA cables to it. The Infinity
Basslink comes to mind, I've seen these on sale for less than $250 at
mmxpress.com

nominal input power in reference to a speaker? i'm sure there's a more
accurate definition for it, but to me it means that you should put no less
than the nominal input power to a speaker.. if the speaker says 35w then I
would put no less than 35w RMS to the speaker.

Here's a link to learn all about suwboofer boxes:
http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/magic/

-Tom

"Hugh Hogan" wrote in message
[...]

---

TomTom

Oops, I missed reading the fact that you said you had Land Rover speakers in
there, in that case I would replace them with a good aftermarket speaker. I
have some boston acoustiscs in the front and pioneer in the rear of my 96
discovery.

"TomTom" wrote in message
I have a 96 discovery, if you have the time and the motivation you might
consider laying down some sound deadening mat on the floor and doors. The
road noise is considerably lower. For a diesel I'd recommend perhaps

getting
a new hood liner too to keep the sound down. Check out
http://www.b-quiet.com. It is a fairly tedious job, took me 3 days for my
discovery.

Those 10cm speakers are probably 4" just as in my 96 discovery, you're not
going to get much bass from a 4" speaker regardless of what you put in
there. The most common subwoofer is a standard enclosure with no ports. I
have a small box with two 6.5" JL Audio subwoofers in my 96 discovery and

it

---

Hugh Hogan

I'm sorry but I didn't make myself very clear in the original post. I want
to install 4 speakers in the front of my Range Rover and I want to know what
effect it will have if I take the leads from the head unit and attach them
to them + to + and - to -. Am I to understand that this is the same as
wiring the speakers for 2 ohms and will in fact draw more power from the HU?

If it does that is great but is sounds too simple

Thanks again

Hugh.