Doctor Phibes

Default sound card recommendations?

I suppose there are 5 zillion audicards on the market, another 3
zillion a/d converter/interface boxes. What I'm looking for is a basic
high quality interface/card. I'm thinking something to get a single
mic pre in the computer. I simply have no desire for additional
channels at this time. If I need to add more channels I'd simply get
another card. I want the stream line approach. Can anyone recommend a
card(s)?

24/192? are we talking overkill? How can I put this....would 192
make 96 seem like TAB(soft drink)? To be quite honest the highest I've
recorded at is 18/48. I've noticed a slight difference between
frequencies of 48khz and cd quality or even 32khz....it's subtle, and
I think I was being honest with myself and not buying into numbers.
There's also the processing speed needed for 192, as well as hd space.
I'm not thinking in terms of 500 tracks....I kinda like smaller
arrangements. 8-16 tracks, sometimes less.

thanks,
William
Brian Takei

Doctor Phibes )
in article wrote:
I suppose there are 5 zillion audicards on the market, another 3
zillion a/d converter/interface boxes. What I'm looking for is a basic
high quality interface/card. I'm thinking something to get a single
mic pre in the computer. I simply have no desire for additional
channels at this time. If I need to add more channels I'd simply get
another card. I want the stream line approach. Can anyone recommend a
card(s)?

For starters, I would look at the the Echo Mia, and LynxOne, depending on
your price point and what you mean by "high quality". Google them up in
RAP and you'll probably find about 1 zillion posts, which will also lead
to other options.

Good luck,
- Brian
Joe Pacheco

Actually this applies to anyone who reads this

I have an Audiomedia III (digidesign) card that anyone can have for
the price of postage from the UK.

Last I used it (had to be over 3 years ago) it worked great. I pulled
it out of my mac when I gave the mac away.

This card (if it works) will allow you to run protools LE

the card will go to the first person to EMAIL me.

Brian Takei wrote in message l.net...
Doctor Phibes )
in article wrote:
I suppose there are 5 zillion audicards on the market, another 3
zillion a/d converter/interface boxes. What I'm looking for is a basic
high quality interface/card. I'm thinking something to get a single
mic pre in the computer. I simply have no desire for additional
channels at this time. If I need to add more channels I'd simply get
another card. I want the stream line approach. Can anyone recommend a
card(s)?

For starters, I would look at the the Echo Mia, and LynxOne, depending on
your price point and what you mean by "high quality". Google them up in
RAP and you'll probably find about 1 zillion posts, which will also lead
to other options.

Good luck,
- Brian

Doctor Phibes

in article wrote:
I suppose there are 5 zillion audicards on the market, another 3
zillion a/d converter/interface boxes. What I'm looking for is a basic
high quality interface/card. I'm thinking something to get a single
mic pre in the computer. I simply have no desire for additional
channels at this time. If I need to add more channels I'd simply get
another card. I want the stream line approach. Can anyone recommend a
card(s)?

For starters, I would look at the the Echo Mia, and LynxOne, depending on
your price point and what you mean by "high quality". Google them up in
RAP and you'll probably find about 1 zillion posts, which will also lead
to other options.

Good luck,
- Brian

Ok thanks Brian,
Ya I'm not sure how to judge the quality of a sound card. The common
spec of 24/96 doesn't mean much if the connectors are radio shack
style. I imagine there are other internal technical features relating
to how it goes about converting analog/digital. None of which I will
ever be an expert on lol
thanks,
William
Brian Takei

Doctor Phibes )
in article wrote:

Ok thanks Brian,
Ya I'm not sure how to judge the quality of a sound card. The common
spec of 24/96 doesn't mean much if the connectors are radio shack
style. I imagine there are other internal technical features relating
to how it goes about converting analog/digital. None of which I will
ever be an expert on lol

I would just stick with 16/44.1 or 24/44.1, splurge the extra couple
bucks for decent cable (e.g. Marketek.com), and move on.

- Brian