Rob Adelman

Default Anyone noticing vinyl seems to be making a minor comeback?

I have been noticing more and more releases on vinyl, old and new
material. Can't say I'm not pleased, but a little surprised. And now I
see the Stones are doing it right after they released a bunch on SACD.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=769&e=1&u=/nm/20031111/music_nm/music_stones_dc

Fill X

it never went away, just underground.

P h i l i p

______________________________

"I'm too ****ing busy and vice-versa"

- Dorothy Parker

EggHd

I have been noticing more and more releases on vinyl, old and new
material.

It's been around in small runs on the "right" releases.

---------------------------------------
Chris Seifert

Guitarist saved tubes and now Club and Hip Hop Dj's are saving vinyl.
What crazee trend is going to save FM synths or 16bit 44/1k ???- I wonder...

chris
wavetrap

(Fill X) wrote in message ...
it never went away, just underground.

P h i l i p

______________________________

"I'm too ****ing busy and vice-versa"

- Dorothy Parker

Brian Takei

Rob Adelman )
in article wrote:
I have been noticing more and more releases on vinyl, old and new
material. Can't say I'm not pleased, but a little surprised. And now I
see the Stones are doing it right after they released a bunch on SACD.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=769&e=1&u=/nm/20031111/music_nm/music_stones_dc

Scott Dorsey also touched on this topic at the very end of his recent AES
report -- "Some folks are actually opening up a brand new LP pressing
plant in Brooklyn."

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue9/aes2003.htm

- Brian

Arny Krueger

"Fill X" wrote in message

it never went away, just underground.

Eliminate "turntablists" and the alleged vinyl boom turns to dust.

Rob Adelman

Brian Takei wrote:

Scott Dorsey also touched on this topic at the very end of his recent AES
report -- "Some folks are actually opening up a brand new LP pressing
plant in Brooklyn."

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue9/aes2003.htm

Thanks Brian. I have to admit with so much info in the report I didn't
make it that far into it the first time.

-Rob

dt king

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Fill X" wrote in message

it never went away, just underground.

Eliminate "turntablists" and the alleged vinyl boom turns to dust.

God bless turntablists.

dtk

Jay Kadis

I just reinstalled my turntable (Dual 1229 w/Shure V-15 III) after years of CDs
only. The albums I loved growing up, like the Byrds, Jefferson Airplane,
Rolling Stones, etc. sound strident and thin compared even to my own
recordings.

I'm going to check out some of the last LPs I bought (Police, Peter Gabriel,
English Beat, Elvis Costello) and see if they sound better. I sure hope they
do. I also have the Bob and Ray's Stereo Spectacular album that I should try
out, as it was pretty high fidelity for the time and I didn't play it to death.

-Jay
--
x------- Jay Kadis ------- x---- Jay's Attic Studio ----x
x-------- http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/~jay/ ----------x

Scott Dorsey

Fill X wrote:
it never went away, just underground.

Yeah, but in the last year or so, I have been getting a lot more requests
to cut lacquers than I have had in some time. And there seem to be a few
brand new pressing plants opening up these days. That sounds like a bit of
a renaissance of sorts.

And I don't do dance music, so I have pretty much eliminated 90% of the
market for mastering work. This means that the increase I'm seeing is all
in non-dance stuff.
Rob Adelman

Scott Dorsey wrote:

And I don't do dance music, so I have pretty much eliminated 90% of the
market for mastering work. This means that the increase I'm seeing is all
in non-dance stuff.

I recently bought John Mayer's new release as well as his first one on
vinyl. Also Henley's 'Inside Job" (2000) and seeing many more non-dance
stuff coming out. Strange, but nice!

Jay

In article ,
Rob Adelman wrote:

Scott Dorsey wrote:

And I don't do dance music, so I have pretty much eliminated 90% of the
market for mastering work. This means that the increase I'm seeing is all
in non-dance stuff.

I recently bought John Mayer's new release as well as his first one on
vinyl. Also Henley's 'Inside Job" (2000) and seeing many more non-dance
stuff coming out. Strange, but nice!

I was in Virgin the other day and they had a pretty good vinyl display
upstairs. I was actually a little surprised at the variety and the floor
space they had dedicated to it.
Rob Adelman

Mike Rivers wrote:

So how much do new LPs cost these days? Are they any better a deal
than CDs? Or worse? Or do you just get fewer songs for about the same
price as a CD? (which these days, mostly, is better)

They seem to cost about the same as the CD. So I would think there has
to be less profit in it. Henley's 'Inside Job' is a very long CD, and
ended up on a two record set, and it did cost a lot more. Excellent
cutting job though, don't recall any major crackles or pops.

Stephen Sank

In the home audio arena, sales numbers of really expensive turntables are
higher than they've ever been. Far, far higher than the numbers before cd
was invented. Case in point: If Nakamichi had continued making their $1740
DragonCT auto-centering turntable(a table for which I have lust in my
heart), rather than dropping it when cd caught on in 1984, I am absolutely
sure that they would still be a healthy company, and that they'd easily be
selling those tables for $3000 or more. The high-end turntable market is
way stronger than any level of the home cassette deck market nowadays.

--
Stephen Sank, Owner & Ribbon Mic Restorer
Talking Dog Transducer Company
"Rob Adelman" wrote in message

Mike Rivers wrote:

So how much do new LPs cost these days? Are they any better a deal
than CDs? Or worse? Or do you just get fewer songs for about the same
price as a CD? (which these days, mostly, is better)

They seem to cost about the same as the CD. So I would think there has
to be less profit in it. Henley's 'Inside Job' is a very long CD, and
ended up on a two record set, and it did cost a lot more. Excellent
cutting job though, don't recall any major crackles or pops.

steve

Stephen Sank wrote:

In the home audio arena, sales numbers of really expensive turntables are
higher than they've ever been. Far, far higher than the numbers before cd
was invented. Case in point: If Nakamichi had continued making their $1740
DragonCT auto-centering turntable(a table for which I have lust in my
heart), rather than dropping it when cd caught on in 1984, I am absolutely
sure that they would still be a healthy company, and that they'd easily be
selling those tables for $3000 or more. The high-end turntable market is
way stronger than any level of the home cassette deck market nowadays.

and there's a market for $2k cartridges
Mike Rivers

In article writes:

So how much do new LPs cost these days? Are they any better a deal
than CDs? Or worse? Or do you just get fewer songs for about the same
price as a CD? (which these days, mostly, is better)

http://store.acousticsounds.com/ has a lot of popular back catalog
re-releases and also new releases

And how does this answer my question? I asked for an answer, not a
source to do more research. If you know, tell me. If you don't know,
I'll wait for someone who has some experience.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )
hollywood_steve

OK, before I go grab my old AR-XB out of storage (probably still
fitted with a Shure M91 cartridge, might be time for a new one...) can
anyone comment on the quality of the new vinyl releases?

Any of us old enough to remember the obscene degradation of major
label release quality between say the mid-sixties and the early 80's,
are gonna want to know what it is we're getting for our $15.99.

(warning: Old dude veering off topic - this "Let it Be Nekkid"
nonsense reminds me of the several times I walked over to the local
music store in Westwood, NJ and asked if they had the original Let it
Be in stock yet. This was in the days before every store in America
had the product for sale at the same instant. One day the clerk gave
me the same "not yet kid" look, but then pointed over to a stack of
45s with a white jacket; the unexpected Instant Karma single kept me
going until Let it Be finally came out. But we will NOT talk about
the flip side of that 45; my youthful ears are still scarred)

Anyway, back to quality - the last couple of dozen "current" releases
I purchased back in the later 70s were absolutely horrible quality.
I'm talking about vinyl manufacturing, not recording or mastering
problems. How do the new vinyl releases compare?

The only other thing stopping me from getting all excited about vinyl
again is knowing how many of my existing records are just beat to ****
and mostly unplayable. too many years of 3am post gig parties where
everything in the room got coated with booze, smoke and worse....
Scott Dorsey

hollywood_steve wrote:
OK, before I go grab my old AR-XB out of storage (probably still
fitted with a Shure M91 cartridge, might be time for a new one...) can
anyone comment on the quality of the new vinyl releases?

In general they are pretty good, and they are good mostly because mastering
folks have the expectation that people are going to be playing back on good
equipment. So there isn't the push to make records that will track properly
on jukeboxes, Dynagroove crap, and stuff like that.

Also, when people are paying as much for an LP as for a CD, they tend to
expect a lot. So you'll find that 140 gram pressings have become pretty
much standard, with a lot of stuff out there on 180 gram discs. The days
of 60 gram flimsy junk are pretty much gone.

Any of us old enough to remember the obscene degradation of major
label release quality between say the mid-sixties and the early 80's,
are gonna want to know what it is we're getting for our $15.99.

I think in general the folks doing vinyl work today are people who care
about the music, rather than folks tossing off discs as quickly as possible,
as was happening in the early eighties.

Anyway, back to quality - the last couple of dozen "current" releases
I purchased back in the later 70s were absolutely horrible quality.
I'm talking about vinyl manufacturing, not recording or mastering
problems. How do the new vinyl releases compare?

Pretty good, because the people who are doing vinyl actually care about it.
It's been a while since I have seen a big blister in the middle of a record
or stuff made with worn cutters that never would track right.

The only other thing stopping me from getting all excited about vinyl
again is knowing how many of my existing records are just beat to ****
and mostly unplayable. too many years of 3am post gig parties where
everything in the room got coated with booze, smoke and worse....

Get yourself a vacuum machine like a Nitty Gritty or VPI, and a fineline
cartridge, and you'll be amazed how decent you can get some of those to sound.
steve

Mike Rivers wrote:

In article writes:

So how much do new LPs cost these days? Are they any better a deal
than CDs? Or worse? Or do you just get fewer songs for about the same
price as a CD? (which these days, mostly, is better)

http://store.acousticsounds.com/ has a lot of popular back catalog
re-releases and also new releases

And how does this answer my question? I asked for an answer, not a
source to do more research. If you know, tell me. If you don't know,
I'll wait for someone who has some experience.

Gee, sorry the link upset you so much. Since there's different pressings
for most releases, as little as $9.99 to over $30 for audiophile
pressings. If you're interested in buying vinyl, they carry most titles
in print.

Rob Adelman

steve wrote:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/ has a lot of popular back catalog

If you're interested in buying vinyl, they carry most titles
in print.

I have also been buying most of my vinyl and SACD's from this store lately.

-Rob

Mark Steven Brooks

http://store.acousticsounds.com/ has a lot of popular back catalog

Holy cow, 10 grand for a turntable! 10" records $50.00!

Who is buying this stuff besides Bill gates?

(Mark Steven Brooks/Elaterium Music)
Arny Krueger

"Mark Steven Brooks" wrote in message

http://store.acousticsounds.com/ has a lot of popular back catalog

Holy cow, 10 grand for a turntable! 10" records $50.00!

Who is buying this stuff besides Bill gates?

People who are sentimental?

Justin Ulysses Morse

hollywood_steve wrote:

OK, before I go grab my old AR-XB out of storage (probably still
fitted with a Shure M91 cartridge, might be time for a new one...) can
anyone comment on the quality of the new vinyl releases?

I think the last new vinyl I bought was one of Johnny Cash's American
Recordings record. Maybe the 3rd one. It sounds fantastic.

But the main reason I never stopped listening to vinyl is because I can
go buy old records for $2.50 at the used record store, or $0.50 at the
Salvation Army, if I stumble upon something interesting. And for
$0.50, it really doesn't have to be THAT interesting. I'm not going to
pay retail for a new (or even a used) CD just to get nostalgic on some
one-hit wonder, and I don't do the MP3 or P2P thing, so buying used
vinyl is my solution.

Any of us old enough to remember the obscene degradation of major
label release quality between say the mid-sixties and the early 80's,
are gonna want to know what it is we're getting for our $15.99.

Yeah, but by and large the stuff that turns up in used record stores is
pretty decent. I think the crap just hasn't survived.

Anyway, back to quality - the last couple of dozen "current" releases
I purchased back in the later 70s were absolutely horrible quality.
I'm talking about vinyl manufacturing, not recording or mastering
problems. How do the new vinyl releases compare?

The only other thing stopping me from getting all excited about vinyl
again is knowing how many of my existing records are just beat to ****
and mostly unplayable. too many years of 3am post gig parties where
everything in the room got coated with booze, smoke and worse....

Well, of you take care of them they last a lot longer. And the people
pressing vinyl today are mostly doing so because they like the way it
sounds, so they don't bother with cheap, ****ty pressings. There's
some good vinyl being made today, and there are some VERY good
pressings being done. The "audiophile" stuff on extra-thick vinyl can
be surprisingly quiet. It all depends on having your equipment set up
right, of course. I don't mean $10k turntables, but decent and in good
repair. And cleaning the records, of course.

ulysses
Justin Ulysses Morse

Mike Rivers wrote:

In article writes:

So how much do new LPs cost these days?

Generally about the same price as the CD, although sometimes they will add
additional cuts to the LP that aren't on the CD. Isn't that a change?

Since CDs are typically longer than the maximum time you can cut on a
12" disk, I guess they'd have to drop a few cuts from the CD version,
so it's probalby safe to say that some of them are just plain
different, with maybe the hit songs in common.

Hopefully, they drop stuff that most people don't want to listen to
anyway.

Among recent releases where the vinyl comes our concurrently to or
after the CD, I never see songs missing from the LP. Most people who
put out both CD and vinyl are either tasteful enough to keep the album
to a reasonable length, or pompous enough to put out a double album.
So it's not really a problem.

In the early days, I remember seeing CDs that had a "Bonus cut" that
wasn't on the LP or cassette. Having been accustomed to the continuity
of the original release, I've often been ****ed off by the disruption
caused by an outtake tacked onto the end of an otherwise
brilliantly-concluded album. Two examples that spring to mind are Soul
Asylum's Hang Time and Sonic Youth's Sister. Then there was the first
Crowded House record where they not only added a song that was
obviously left off for a reason, but they ****ed the song order all
around so it wasn't as cohesive. People need to learn that EVERY album
is a concept album. Failing to realize that only causes the concept of
your albums to be poorly constructed and not fully realized.

ulysses
Rob Adelman

Justin Ulysses Morse wrote:

There's
some good vinyl being made today, and there are some VERY good
pressings being done. The "audiophile" stuff on extra-thick vinyl can
be surprisingly quiet.

Check out that Acoustic Sounds link. You can get almost every Led
Zeppelin record on 200 gram vinyl.

Scott Dorsey

Rob Adelman wrote:
Justin Ulysses Morse wrote:

There's
some good vinyl being made today, and there are some VERY good
pressings being done. The "audiophile" stuff on extra-thick vinyl can
be surprisingly quiet.

Check out that Acoustic Sounds link. You can get almost every Led
Zeppelin record on 200 gram vinyl.

Who is pressing these? Is anyone doing 200 gram pressings other than RTI?
Paul Gold

Brian Takei wrote in message

"Some folks are actually opening up a brand new LP pressing
plant in Brooklyn."

I am one of the some folks at Brooklynphono. We see a healthy demand
for vinyl. It is both fun and frustrating to deal with. I'm the
mastering engineer and I see equal parts electronica and indie rock.
We like both and want to work primarily with those genres. We have
done some rap and reggae but we are concentrating on electronica and
rock.

Paul Gold

steve

Justin Ulysses Morse wrote:

But the main reason I never stopped listening to vinyl is because I can
go buy old records for $2.50 at the used record store, or $0.50 at the
Salvation Army, if I stumble upon something interesting. And for
$0.50, it really doesn't have to be THAT interesting. I'm not going to
pay retail for a new (or even a used) CD just to get nostalgic on some
one-hit wonder, and I don't do the MP3 or P2P thing, so buying used
vinyl is my solution.

I picked up a ****load of used vinyl for as little as a nickel back in
the 80's when everybody thought CD was the **** and were dumping their
record collections. I got a lot of 60's British pressings that sound
better than the American pressings and just amazing compared to CD
releases.
Justin Ulysses Morse

Paul Gold wrote:

I am one of the some folks at Brooklynphono. We see a healthy demand
for vinyl. It is both fun and frustrating to deal with. I'm the
mastering engineer and I see equal parts electronica and indie rock.
We like both and want to work primarily with those genres. We have
done some rap and reggae but we are concentrating on electronica and
rock.

So is this the only pressing plant in the US?

ulysses
Pooh Bear

Rob Adelman wrote:

I have been noticing more and more releases on vinyl, old and new
material. Can't say I'm not pleased, but a little surprised. And now I
see the Stones are doing it right after they released a bunch on SACD.

In the UK, vinyl ( 12" singles ) is very popular with DJs who 'mix' as they like to call it. If
you're going to 'scratch' or whatever, vinyl's the one to have.

Friend of mine who's into it says there's a shortage of pressing capacity now !

Graham

Paul Gold

Justin Ulysses Morse wrote in message news
So is this the only pressing plant in the US?

Nope. Not even close. There are three just in NYC. Another two in
north New Jersey. A few in California, a couple in Florida and some
other ones as well. The facility with the largest capacity is
Universal in Gloversville NY. Brooklynphono has two working presses to
Universals 30 or so.

Paul Gold
www.vinylmastering.net
www.brooklynphono.com