John L Rice

Default Dust and the Studio

Me! Mainly because the sound of my 12x14x8 little room sounded . . . sad.
The surface of my drum platform is bare wood though.

Pictures here :

http://www.imjohn.com/DrumFloor/index.htm

John L Rice

"Roger W. Norman" wrote in message
Who the **** puts carpet on the floor? Maybe area rugs, but man, no
carpets.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Dale Farmer" wrote in message

"Roger W. Norman" wrote:

Assuming you have forced air, see about getting the air ducts cleaned.

Not
a cheap process, but worth it, particularly with winter coming on in

the
northern hemisphere. Wash down your walls once a month, air

filtration
systems are small these days and not necessary to run when you're

recording.
Ionizers work. A small humidifier might help, but I wouldn't want a

bunch
of humidity in my studio. If it's already humid, then a dehumidifier

might
extract some dust too, again, not on while recording.

And apparently a computer is a great place to collect dust! g
--

Remove the carpeting and have it professionally cleaned or replaced

with
new. Brand new carpets are dust magnets, after a year or two, all that

dust
that they soaked up has started sawing at the bases of the individual

fibers,
and cutting them loose. All that dust and the carpet fibers come up and

float
into the air.
Get a central vacuum system or a very long hose for your vacuum

cleaner,
so that the exhaust from the vacuum cleaner exits into someplace else.

lot of vacuum cleaners will leak out of their exhaust the very fine
particulates.
Going with HEPA bags will help, but they cost more.
Leave your shoes at the studio door. Most of the dust is brought in

on the
soles of your shoes. Put some expendable carpets outside the studio

door,
and clean that carpet often to help scrub dirt from your shoes.
Go to your doctor's office and ask for some of the pamphlets on dust
control they give out to people who have dust allergies.

--Dale

2mb

maybe you could get one of those electrostatic filters for your forced air
unit.

http://www.lennox.com/products/list_iaq.asp
http://www.residential.carrier.com/p...t_airclean.htm

I don't know if these things really do any good, but the marketing hype
indicates that they add a layer of filtration for microscopic particles and
dust that go right through normal forced air filters. I am sure that if they
actually work, they require frequent cleaning to be most effective. A weekly
chore is worth cleaner equipment.

"unibrow" wrote in message
I have quite a dust problem in my bedroom/studio. Aside from the

weekly
dusting, and keeping things covered, do you guys and gals use anything in
particular to keep dust flow to a minimum?

Thanks,

Mike

Kurt Albershardt

Tracy Wintermute wrote:

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 03:35:14 GMT, "2mb"
wrote:

maybe you could get one of those electrostatic filters for your forced air
unit.

In my experience, BAD idea.

At my old place, the previous owner had one of these things installed
due to allergies or some such. Are you familiar with the sounds a
"bug zapper" makes? Pretty much the same deal with the electrostatic.
Not only are the sounds audible ambiently, similar sounds also occur
in the signal of any audio equipment hooked to the same leg (phase) of
your in-house electrical distribution, not just the same circuit. And,
the stuff 'broadcasts' to much of the equipment hooked to the other
leg. I ended up with the thing being turned off most all the time.

Admittedly, the technology may have progressed since then, but I
remain sceptical.

Definitely start by getting your ducts cleaned regularly and using
better filters which are changed regularly. Changing out the 1"
fiberglass filter for a 2" Hi-E 40 made a major difference here.

And as others have mentioned, wall-to-wall carpet is an evil thing if
you want to ensure any standard of cleanliness.

Tracy Wintermute

wrote:

maybe you could get one of those electrostatic filters for your forced air
unit.

In my experience, BAD idea.

At my old place, the previous owner had one of these things installed
due to allergies or some such. Are you familiar with the sounds a
"bug zapper" makes? Pretty much the same deal with the electrostatic.
Not only are the sounds audible ambiently, similar sounds also occur
in the signal of any audio equipment hooked to the same leg (phase) of
your in-house electrical distribution, not just the same circuit. And,
the stuff 'broadcasts' to much of the equipment hooked to the other
leg. I ended up with the thing being turned off most all the time.

Admittedly, the technology may have progressed since then, but I
remain sceptical.

====================
Tracy Wintermute

Rushcreek Ranch
====================
2mb

Given that a lot of forced air units are 220V, you probably wouldn't be able
to get a clean leg. My bad... I guess it would be a pain unless you put a
remote to the thing all the way into your studio so you could turn it off
when tracking or doing important monitoring... without a trip to the
basement.

wrote:

[...]

Rob Adelman

Mike Rivers wrote:

Well, you could turn it off when you're recording. In a home studio,
it's unusual to have a quiet enough furnace/air conditioner fan so
that you don't need to turn it off when recording anyway. I do.
(recording season is rather limited around here)

I am well familiar with that drill. I always thought about putting an
off switch on a timer though, inevitably I always forget to turn it back
on until it starts getting very cold/hot in the house..

Kurt Albershardt

I think that's a Purolator trademark, but look in the Yellow Pages under
'Filters-Air & Gas' and there will be a few options.

Common filter sizes sizes are available in 1", 2", and 4" depths, with
correspondingly larger surface areas (allowing tighter filtration media
to last longer.) My 16" x 25" x 2" filters were a whopping $4.16 ea.

Kurt Albershardt wrote:

Definitely start by getting your ducts cleaned regularly and using
better filters which are changed regularly. Changing out the 1"
fiberglass filter for a 2" Hi-E 40 made a major difference here.

And as others have mentioned, wall-to-wall carpet is an evil thing if
you want to ensure any standard of cleanliness.

Tracy Wintermute

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 07:58:58 GMT, "2mb"
wrote:

Given that a lot of forced air units are 220V,

Mine was on a gas furnace ( no air conditioner/heat pump.) The
electrostatic unit was definitely 120V ( popularly called 110V.)

Sorry that I had not clarified that in my other post.

Tracy Wintermute

Rushcreek Ranch