Jfield817

Default Sound Barrier Question

I live in a townhouse and in the finished basement
I sometimes do some live recording as well as
band practice.
The next door neighbor claims she hears the bass
coming through.

Does anyone have any recommendations
for blocking or reducing the bass from penetrating the walls..

Thanks
John
henryf

Jfield817 wrote:
I live in a townhouse and in the finished basement
I sometimes do some live recording as well as
band practice.
The next door neighbor claims she hears the bass
coming through.

Does anyone have any recommendations
for blocking or reducing the bass from penetrating the walls..

How about calling the police and having the musicians
arrested? IMO a townhouse is no place for band rehearsals,
especially late at night.

Steven Sena

Move...

--
Steven Sena
XS Sound

"Jfield817" wrote in message
I live in a townhouse and in the finished basement
I sometimes do some live recording as well as
band practice.
The next door neighbor claims she hears the bass
coming through.

Does anyone have any recommendations
for blocking or reducing the bass from penetrating the walls..

Thanks
John

Tom Paul

I'm glad you are not my neighbor!! For the amount of work you would
need to have any audible effect on the bass transmission it would be
cheaper to rent a practice room somewhere.

Tom
I live in a townhouse and in the finished basement
I sometimes do some live recording as well as
band practice.
The next door neighbor claims she hears the bass
coming through.

Does anyone have any recommendations
for blocking or reducing the bass from penetrating the walls..

Thanks
John

Garthrr

John wrote:

I live in a townhouse and in the finished basement
I sometimes do some live recording as well as
band practice.
The next door neighbor claims she hears the bass
coming through.

And this surprises you???

Does anyone have any recommendations

for blocking or reducing the bass from penetrating the walls..

Thanks
John

You're talking about construction, not just soundproofing. I very seriously
doubt if its at all feasable. Stopping bass transmission through walls is no
trivial matter. I hate to say it but you ought to be looking for another place
to make music or set up a system in headphones.

Garth~

"I think the fact that music can come up a wire is a miracle."
Ed Cherney
S O'Neill

See how much low end you can roll off the bass before you can't stand it. An
electric bass can get pretty twangy sounding by itself and still sound good when
everything else is going on. Don't forget to turn the knob back up at a gig

And remember that your neighbor, not being a musician, has no idea if it really
is the bass, or just some low-end she thinks is the bass. Like a guitar in a
Marshall or the kick drum.

Rehearse quietly. I found long ago that that really can clean things up, being
able to hear what everyone else is doing and cutting out half of what I play
based on that.

Invite her over to the party. Especially if she's 83.

If you block the bass you'll sound like you're in a big tub, and you probably
couldn't afford to try to absorb it.

Jfield817 wrote:

I live in a townhouse and in the finished basement
I sometimes do some live recording as well as
band practice.
The next door neighbor claims she hears the bass
coming through.

Does anyone have any recommendations
for blocking or reducing the bass from penetrating the walls..

Thanks
John

Scott Dorsey

Jfield817 wrote:
I live in a townhouse and in the finished basement
I sometimes do some live recording as well as
band practice.
The next door neighbor claims she hears the bass
coming through.

Does anyone have any recommendations
for blocking or reducing the bass from penetrating the walls..

This is discussed in the FAQ. Basically, the low end isn't penetrating
the walls, it's being conducted by the walls, which is not an easy thing
to deal with at all.

Doc Gorpon

set up a system in headphones.

This is a great idea that isn't suggested enough in these situations. I built
the floating room, with double walls and staggered studs to record and practice
in, and I *still* get some bass traveling outside. Even though it's not enough
to annoy even a halfway reasonable neighbor to complain.. even late at night, I
still don't like to take chances. So I have a headphone system that we use for
regular practices. So the only sound escaping is the drums. And if you're
standing 5 feet outside of my property, it's quieter than a mouse's fart.
Justin Ulysses Morse

That's easy.

Just move your townhouse about six feet further away from hers.