Geoff Duncan

Default computer recording for beginners

"Raymond" wrote in message
Jonny Bravo wrote
Could you expand on this...particularly a starter set up... have a

mackie,
but don't know where
to start with hooking up the computer.... can get my hands on any
software... just canty find anyone
with a basic rig... once i get it going i think i can finger it out...

To start, go visit a studio with a non-dedicated (PC/MAC) DAW (the Roland

you
have is a dedicated DAW) in your area, I'm sure there's one around there.

If
your having trouble finding one go to the local guitar shop and all the

other
music stores in your area until you fined one that knows someone who has

one.
I don't think that the 5 or 10 year old lap top will handle a multi track
recording software program as what you get now will need newer OS's etc.

even run. I can tell you that you'll find different people like different
systems so like Geoff stated get ready to get to know the computer you

pick
very well.

Hiya again!

to expand a wee bit :

The computer as a digital recorder / editor etc is a very powerful tool.

You can combine the performance spec your budget allows (always get the
FASTEST machine you can afford, you WILL end up using all those plugins you
swore you wouldn't need!!) with I/O hardware that suits your requirements
(number of channels, sample rate, bit depth, converter quality, etc) and
software (lots of good apps to pick from, my first choice is Sequoia
(although Samplitude is nearly the same thing)).

The tricky part (which nowadays really isnt so tricky) is to choose a
motherboard/chipset combination which you know will work with your chosen
hardware/software choice.

Intel machines with RME cards plus Samplitude or Sequoia is basically a sure
fire package, and you can look at manufacturers sites to get their "spec"
machine.

Lots of people use hardware with Zero-Letency hardware monitoring, meaning
that the input signal can be hardware-routed to the outputs, so you dont get
latency. I've always preferred an analog board for this, as you can use the
Auxes for headphone sends, and I use it like a big patchbay.

There are lots of resources for tweaking the OS to suit Audio Production.
Over time everyone who uses a Computer based DAW becomes an OS / Drivers /
Hardware conflict expert, as you go through the process of getting it
running solidly.

If you let us know what gear you already have, how many channels of I/O you
need etc, we could probably come up with some ideas for a rig.

It would be a good idea for you to see a system up and running, as Raymond
suggested, to help decide on which software etc you see yourself using.

Good luck, keep in touch!

Geoff

jonny bravo

Thanks for the info... kinda doing the list thing now...I will ost when I
got a batter idea of all the components
should be soon..
thanks again

--
Jonny Bravo
Some Do, Some Don't, Some Will, Some Won't...I Might...

---

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

The tricky part (which nowadays really isnt so tricky) is to choose a
motherboard/chipset combination which you know will work with your chosen
hardware/software choice.

It's always tricky for the following reasons:

Everyone you talk to will mention the same three motherboard
manufacturer's names (Asus, Abit and I can't remember the other one)

Few will recommend a specific model number - each one makes dozens
with different options that mean little to someone just building his
first computer.

When a board is recommended by make and model number, you will have
difficulty finding it unless it is VERY current. These things change
almost monthly.

There are specific considerations that one user may have that another
doesn't. For example, some USB audio interfaces don't work well with
certian USB controller chips.

The good news is that almost anything you put together will work. The
bad news is that you'll find out fairly soon that some things won't
work very well. Then you'll be faced with the decision - get other
hardware, get other software, or learn to work with what you have.
Either way, you expend more time or money, usually both.

If you're willing to work on the trailing edge of technology and pay
maybe 25% more than the cheapest you could do it yourself, there are a
few companies who build ready-to-go audio computers with a
guaranteed-to-work audio and graphic interface, and with software of
your choice installed. You'll never get the latest hardware, because
these companies use hardware that they've had a chance to test. But
you might find it convenient to know that you immediately start
learning the work process of recording with a computer rather than
having to start by getting your "control room" working.

I've been putting off getting a new computer for a couple of years
now, but I fear the time is coming near. Something has changed that I
can't find and now it won't shut down normally. I'm at the point where
I'd rather switch than fight and I'm at the bottom of the learning
curve once again.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )
S O'Neill

Mike Rivers wrote:

Everyone you talk to will mention the same three motherboard
manufacturer's names (Asus, Abit and I can't remember the other one)

Apple.

Dan

Of course you can rarely find a reason to wait on technology, since
things do in fact change so much, but isn't 64 bit computing around
the corner? I think AMD had a press release out recently...can't
remember. But I do know that audio recording is processor centric, and
if a processor paradigm change is in the wind, maybe it IS a good
reason to wait. Anybody more up on the latest news than me?

(Mike Rivers) wrote in message news:znr1068637784k@trad...
In article
writes:

[...]

Scott Dorsey

Dan wrote:
Of course you can rarely find a reason to wait on technology, since
things do in fact change so much, but isn't 64 bit computing around
the corner? I think AMD had a press release out recently...can't
remember. But I do know that audio recording is processor centric, and
if a processor paradigm change is in the wind, maybe it IS a good
reason to wait. Anybody more up on the latest news than me?

64 bit processing is here. Not much software takes advantage of double
precision, though, but some does.

But, who cares? Get software that does what you need and then get the
hardware required to run it. If you wind up with something 20 years old,
that's fine. If it takes the latest hardware to run the stuff you want,
that's fine too.