2mb

Default DAW crackle and its effects on monitors

Hola,
What effect does crackle (due to DAW buffers being under-run, caused by
excessive CPU usage) have on nearfield monitor speakers? To me it sounds as
if line level plugs are being removed and reinserted very quickly and
randomly.

Can this noise harm speakers at sub clip levels? I have a brick wall limiter
in my output chain to protect my speakers from clip... but that noise sounds
sounds an awful lot like hell. I want to make sure I am not damaging
anything.

thx,
neil

Geoff Wood

"2mb" wrote in message
Hola,
What effect does crackle (due to DAW buffers being under-run, caused by
excessive CPU usage) have on nearfield monitor speakers? To me it sounds

as
if line level plugs are being removed and reinserted very quickly and
randomly.

Can this noise harm speakers at sub clip levels? I have a brick wall

limiter
in my output chain to protect my speakers from clip... but that noise

sounds
sounds an awful lot like hell. I want to make sure I am not damaging
anything.

About the same effect as any other crakle through instant interuption of a
waveform - lots of high harmonics and a chance of overheating tweeters.
Maybe you need to do some optimisation or upgrading of your DAW ?

geoff

2mb

Maybe you need to do some optimisation or upgrading of your DAW ?

We end up using a lot of cpu on dsps so I have the feeling that I will
*always* need to do upgrading. I have followed all manufacturers
recommendations and it works great. We just push it pretty hard. Mostly
parametric eq's and compression (moderate). reverb and delay where
appropriate to loosen stuff up.

By the time you are on track 2x it can really add up. It's only a single
P-IV 2.53Ghz/533. I am looking at Xeons. Maybe that will be my next gear
purchase: (

I was mainly trying to find out if the crackle was dangerous enough to go
through the trouble of printing tracks (and turning stuff off) to avoid. I
have my answer. Luckily I am savvy enough to not be mixing anywhere near the
max volume level on projects where this happens sporadically. Anything that
sounds like that can't be good.

Thanks : )