David Hajicek

Default but can you play it behind your back...?

"mcdonald" wrote in message
. giganews.com...
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 6:27:24 -0700, MikeK wrote
(in message ):

Human hearing
tops out at tones that vibrate at about 20,000 cycles per second. The
high-pitched sound of the nanoguitar twanged forth at 40 million cycles

per
second, putting it 17 octaves above what human ears take for music.

This doesn't add up. Using 20,000 Hz as a base frequency, 40 million Hz is
only 10.97 octaves higher. Perhaps the writer misunderstood what the

Cornell
people were telling him, since 40 million Hz is 16.47 octaves above A =

440
Hz, which is almost 17 octaves. The note would be somewhere in between a D
and a D#. I don't think it would harmonize well with the Bb of the black
hole. I wonder though if 40 million is the exact figure, or if it's

rounded.
That would affect the value of the note.

mcd

And they could "bend" the note by heating the "string" with the laser beam.

Dave Hajicek

mcdonald

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:33:50 -0700, David Hajicek wrote:

And they could "bend" the note by heating the "string" with the laser beam.

Hey, you might be on to something here. Perhaps the 40 million Hz tone is the
nanoguitar's "blue note".

mcd

--
1. To prove the Riemann hypothesis
2. To make a brilliant play in a crucial cricket match

British mathematician G.H. Hardyıs four life ambitions

Gary

"MikeK" wrote in message .. .
The
high-pitched sound of the nanoguitar twanged forth at 40 million cycles per
second, putting it 17 octaves above what human ears take for music.

This may be the best invention ever for guitar!