Jered Bolton

Default Humming noise problem with guitar amp.

Hi,

My local church recently bought a (stereo) keyboard, a volume foot
pedal volume (stereo) and a (small) two channel guitar amp. This was
so organists would be able to change the volume of the music with the
foot pedal.

The current set up is to take a signal from the headphone socket on
the back of the keyboard, through the pedal where seperate left and
right signals feed into each channel of the amp.

The outcome of this setup is a very noticeable (earth loop like)
hum/buzz. Channel 1 of the amp is a Low-Z input, and channel 2 is a
normal high impedance input. When channel 1 is connected by itself
there is no buzzing. Channel 2 hums less, when the volume pedal is
turned to full on i.e. least resistance to signal.

Any suggestions as to how this hum can be removed will be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Jered.
Garthrr

In article
writes:

The current set up is to take a signal from the headphone socket on
the back of the keyboard, through the pedal where seperate left and
right signals feed into each channel of the amp.

I missed the beginning of this thread. If this is a standard guitar amp then it
doesnt want to see a signal as hot as a headphone out. It wants to see an
instrument level signal or a -10dB line level signal at most. I guess thats the
reason for the volume pedal right?
The hum may be caused by the huge amount of gain being applied to the (already
hot) signal or it could be a ground loop between the keyboard and the amp. Any
way you cut it though this is not the way to do this IMO. Square peg, round
hole.
Why is anyone insisting on playing this keyboard through this amp?

Garth~

"I think the fact that music can come up a wire is a miracle."
Ed Cherney