Jim

Default RCA BK-4 Starmaker ribbon mic - vintage mic value??

I'm looking to round out my vintage mic collection with an circa
1950's RCA BK-4 (a or b ribbon mic, otherwise known as the
"Starmaker". What should I expect to pay for a decent, working unit?
They are quite rare and do not come up too often and I have not been
able to find much info on them.

My web research indicates some past sales from several years back at
between $800 and $1200 and this site of mic values notes a past high
sale of $1825! (probably was mint in the box or something!):

http://www.k-bay106.com/market.htm

Does about $1000 sound reasonable to pay for a decent working unit?
Thanks for the help, I'd liked to be informed before I begin my search
in earnest. And drop me a note if you have happen to one available!

Thanks, Jim
Port

The last one I saw sold for $1700 ( near mint)
If you can find one for a $1K your doing great!
Port

"Jim" wrote in message =
I'm looking to round out my vintage mic collection with an circa
1950's RCA BK-4 (a or b ribbon mic, otherwise known as the
"Starmaker". What should I expect to pay for a decent, working unit?=20
They are quite rare and do not come up too often and I have not been
able to find much info on them.
=20
My web research indicates some past sales from several years back at
between $800 and $1200 and this site of mic values notes a past high
sale of $1825! (probably was mint in the box or something!):
=20
http://www.k-bay106.com/market.htm
=20
Does about $1000 sound reasonable to pay for a decent working unit?=20
Thanks for the help, I'd liked to be informed before I begin my search
in earnest. And drop me a note if you have happen to one available!
=20
Thanks, Jim7

MandoBazaaro

I've always wondered how the Starmaker sounds?
Anyone?