Manners

Default Newbie needs speaker help!

ok so heres my dilema, im a real picky about the sound quality. i want to
get a new pair of speakers. im not looking for super load and im not a bass
head. i was looking into monitor speakers and i really dont know that much
about them. my price range is about $500 for the pair. im going to be using
them for music listening mostly and possibly music production at a later
date. i was looking at Alesis but its not important who makes them. few
questions: powered or unpowered, any other things i should be aware of, and
any other suggestions? Sound card upgrade is also a possibility,
recommedations? thanks for your time guys!

Scott Dorsey

In article MOoob.67739$Tr4.191458@attbi_s03,
Manners wrote:
ok so heres my dilema, im a real picky about the sound quality. i want to
get a new pair of speakers. im not looking for super load and im not a bass
head. i was looking into monitor speakers and i really dont know that much
about them. my price range is about $500 for the pair. im going to be using
them for music listening mostly and possibly music production at a later
date. i was looking at Alesis but its not important who makes them. few
questions: powered or unpowered, any other things i should be aware of, and
any other suggestions? Sound card upgrade is also a possibility,
recommedations? thanks for your time guys!

Who cares if they are powered or unpowered? Get speakers you like.

I'd recommend checking out NHT, Paradigm, PSB, and the other mid-fi home
audio vendors. You'll get more for your money in that sort of market.

The older NHT Super-Zeros are a hell of a deal, and while the Atlas and Titan
line from Paradigm is pretty spitty sounding to me, the monitor line above
that is not bad at all.

PSB makes some stuff that is amazing for the money.

You might also want to check out the Tannoy Reveals. Again very flat midrange
considering the price.

All of these speakers are a good bit rougher in the midrange than you'd get
from a higher grade monitor system, but they don't cost what a higher grade
monitor system does either.
P Stamler

I'd recommend checking out NHT, Paradigm, PSB, and the other mid-fi home
audio vendors. You'll get more for your money in that sort of market.

Also speakers from Phase Tech.

Peace,
Paul
DrBoom

"Manners" wrote in message news:MOoob.67739$Tr4.191458@attbi_s03...
ok so heres my dilema, im a real picky about the sound quality. i want to
get a new pair of speakers. im not looking for super load and im not a bass
head. i was looking into monitor speakers and i really dont know that much
about them. my price range is about $500 for the pair. im going to be using
them for music listening mostly and possibly music production at a later
date. i was looking at Alesis but its not important who makes them. few
questions: powered or unpowered, any other things i should be aware of, and
any other suggestions? Sound card upgrade is also a possibility,
recommedations? thanks for your time guys!

Answer #1: Go listen to them, preferably in the space where you'll be using them.
A caring retailer (i.e. small shop) will be a big help, but you HAVE to listen to
speakers in context to learn anything at all about them.

Answer #2: Dynaudio Audience 42, without nice extra $$ veneer option. They
are a little over your $500 budget ($650 street?), but they SMOKE everything
I've ever heard under a couple grand/pair. They are a bit in-your-face for
nearfield use, but it sounds like you'd mostly use them for general listening.
I obviously have a pair, and I like them even more now than when I bought
them over two years ago. I wish I could say that about other stuff I own...

-DrBoom