Jack A. Zucker

Default Anyone using firewire audio and drive on the same bus?

Just wondering if you have problems with latency or intermittancy to have a
firewire drive and audio interface running on the same bus with the
recording software writing to the firewire drive?

--
http://www.jackzucker.com

ScotFraser

Just wondering if you have problems with latency or intermittancy to have a
firewire drive and audio interface running on the same bus with the
recording software writing to the firewire drive?

No. All current FireWire systems I'm aware of are designed for exactly that
situation & that's how they work.

Scott Fraser
Carlos Alden

On 10/30/03 1:11 PM, Jack A. Zucker eloquently wrote:

Just wondering if you have problems with latency or intermittancy to have a
firewire drive and audio interface running on the same bus with the
recording software writing to the firewire drive?

I just bought a Digi 002R and running it from my iBook. The FW drive plugs
into the solo FW bus on the iBook, and the digi plugs into the drive. It
records fine. The latency is there but adjustable so as to not be a problem
(not like USB interfaces).

However, I'm not so sure my iBook dual USB 500 MHz has the cojones to keep
up. It is very sluggish and slow - menu items take a second or two to open,
things like that. I may have to bite the bullet and buy a new PowerBook.
And I thought being interested in high quality guitars was an expensive
hobby. Sheeesh.

Carlos

Garrett Cox

I do it with my 002 and my Lacie 80GB drive all the time. No problems
here. Even when using it with my Powerbook G4 667mhz.

garrett

"Jack A. Zucker" wrote in message . ..
Just wondering if you have problems with latency or intermittancy to have a
firewire drive and audio interface running on the same bus with the
recording software writing to the firewire drive?

Chris Seifert

I've done numerous projects with a powerbook and a digi002 with
clients that needed to find budget alertnatives to doing a project
from start to finish in a commercial facilty. I've been very pleased
with the results but you do need to manage the latency via your
hardware buffers. I've never had any issues with intermittancy as you
call it though.
Chris
Wavetrap