Brian Huether

Default Are RNP and Great River in the same league??

I am looking to get a very good preamp for recording electric guitar (and
some acoustic). I plan on getting a royer r121 and an md421 (have already
sm57 and beta57a). I want to get 1 tranparent pre and one that has some
character of its own. My research has pointed me to the Neve 1272 (Brent
remake). So I figure that will be my character pre. But for transparency, is
the RNP in the same league as the Great River (not the NV model)?

-brian

LeBaron & Alrich

Brian Huether wrote:

I am looking to get a very good preamp for recording electric guitar (and
some acoustic). I plan on getting a royer r121 and an md421 (have already
sm57 and beta57a). I want to get 1 tranparent pre and one that has some
character of its own. My research has pointed me to the Neve 1272 (Brent
remake). So I figure that will be my character pre. But for transparency, is
the RNP in the same league as the Great River (not the NV model)?

That will depend on your personal interpretation of the word
"transparency" and how much gain you will need. The noise floors of the
preamps are rather different at higher gain settings. McQ, I can tell
you straightly, greatly appreciates his GR MP4, and states the
compromises made in the RNP clearly on the FHR website.

--
ha
EggHd

My research has pointed me to the Neve 1272 (Brent
remake).

Why not save money get the RNP for character and then something like the Great
River or Hardy for clean? (I am not fane of 1272)

Check out the Mercenary Great River which can be both clean and character......