Brian Huether

Default AD/DA, Mics, Mic Pres - where should the money go??

This continues my quest to get pro or near pro sounding results in my home,
recording my guitar.

I am looking to get a Neve 1272 and/or a Great River, and am adding a
Sennheiser md421, a studio projects c1, and possibly a royer r121 to my mic
collection. The question then, is this: Does anyone seriously believe my end
results will differ much whether I use an RME Multiface, or an RME ADI 8 DS,
or an Apogess PSX100?

thanks,

brian

Mike Turk

"Brian Huether" wrote in message
This continues my quest to get pro or near pro sounding results in my

home,
recording my guitar.

I am looking to get a Neve 1272 and/or a Great River, and am adding a
Sennheiser md421, a studio projects c1, and possibly a royer r121 to my

mic
collection. The question then, is this: Does anyone seriously believe my

end
results will differ much whether I use an RME Multiface, or an RME ADI 8

DS,
or an Apogess PSX100?

thanks,

brian

Doesn't matter. I have got excellent results even with blackface ADAT
converters.

-mike

George Gleason

"Brian Huether" wrote in message
This continues my quest to get pro or near pro sounding results in my

home,
recording my guitar.

I am looking to get a Neve 1272 and/or a Great River, and am adding a
Sennheiser md421, a studio projects c1, and possibly a royer r121 to my

mic
collection. The question then, is this: Does anyone seriously believe my

end
results will differ much whether I use an RME Multiface, or an RME ADI 8

DS,
or an Apogess PSX100?

thanks,

brian

I tghink you money is best spent on esopteric directional cables, green
markers for your cd's and anything by alesis
:-)
George

Arny Krueger

"Brian Huether" wrote in message

Wow - what an informative reply.

It is.

My translation from Gleasonese is that neither converters, pres or mics
would be the best investment, given what the writer already has on on hand.
If he can't do it with what he's got, he should probably spend his money on
green pens or nuclear-tipped mic cables, or some such.

I think the guy should go out and make a some more recordings and listen to
some good critiques of them. There's a lot more to recording than mics,
pres, and converters. It's possible that a better mic stand and knowing how
to position it would do more for him.

John L Rice

"Brian Huether" wrote in message
This continues my quest to get pro or near pro sounding results in my

home,
recording my guitar.

I am looking to get a Neve 1272 and/or a Great River, and am adding a
Sennheiser md421, a studio projects c1, and possibly a royer r121 to my

mic
collection. The question then, is this: Does anyone seriously believe my

end
results will differ much whether I use an RME Multiface, or an RME ADI 8

DS,
or an Apogess PSX100?

thanks,

brian

I'd put the money into microphones, mic pres, monitors and room treatments
( no particular order ) before worrying about converters too much.

Best of luck!

John L Rice

George Gleason

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Brian Huether" wrote in message

Wow - what an informative reply.

It is.

My translation from Gleasonese is that neither converters, pres or mics
would be the best investment, given what the writer already has on on

hand.
If he can't do it with what he's got, he should probably spend his money

on
green pens or nuclear-tipped mic cables, or some such.

I think the guy should go out and make a some more recordings and listen

some good critiques of them. There's a lot more to recording than mics,
pres, and converters. It's possible that a better mic stand and knowing

how
to position it would do more for him.

Arny, I don't remember you taking my master class on internet
scarasm/humor(depending on your POV
but excellent job!!!!
george

Mondoslug1

Brian wrote:

This continues my quest to get pro or near pro sounding results in my
home,
recording my guitar.

I am looking to get a Neve 1272 and/or a Great River, and am adding a
Sennheiser md421, a studio projects c1, and possibly a royer r121 to my

mic
collection. The question then, is this: Does anyone seriously believe my

end
results will differ much whether I use an RME Multiface, or an RME ADI 8

DS,
or an Apogess PSX100?

thanks,

brian

I'd think the Multiface would be mighty fine.
I'm recording(not mixing)with a Digi 001 with it's stock converters and some
external pres and doing guitars. I like the results pretty well & for cranking
electrics it might be hard to telll a difference using a different
converter....or not.

LeBaron & Alrich

Brian Huether wrote:

This continues my quest to get pro or near pro sounding results in my home,
recording my guitar.

I am looking to get a Neve 1272 and/or a Great River, and am adding a
Sennheiser md421, a studio projects c1, and possibly a royer r121 to my mic
collection. The question then, is this: Does anyone seriously believe my end
results will differ much whether I use an RME Multiface, or an RME ADI 8 DS,
or an Apogess PSX100?

What are you using now? The whole chain, mics through to monitors,
please.

--
ha

Ty Ford

In Article , "Brian Huether"
wrote:
This continues my quest to get pro or near pro sounding results in my home,
recording my guitar.

I am looking to get a Neve 1272 and/or a Great River, and am adding a
Sennheiser md421, a studio projects c1, and possibly a royer r121 to my mic
collection. The question then, is this: Does anyone seriously believe my end
results will differ much whether I use an RME Multiface, or an RME ADI 8 DS,
or an Apogess PSX100?

thanks,

brian

Brian,

We don't know what you have in your mic or preamp collection so making any
suggestions is difficult.

There are many fine pieces of gear out there. I like Schoeps, AT, Neumann,
AKGs and Gefells. These mics work very well with my GML, Aphex1100 and
Millennia STT-1 preamps.

Mics I like that have recently come out are the Audio Technica AE5400 and
5100 and the Gefell M294, M 295, M 296.

Ain't nothing wrong with an SM57 or SM58. Shure took top honors with the SM
86 at the TEC awards this year.

The combination of GML and ADI-8DS are audibly better than the stock pres
and A/D conversion in a Digi 001. At the cost, they ought to be.

I think EVERYTHING can make a difference. The mic/premap combination is,
perhaps, the most often overlooked issue of all.

I have a lot of mic and pre reviews on my site. Take a peek in the Archives.

Regards,

Ty Ford

**Until the worm goes away, I have put "not" in front of my email address.
Please remove it if you want to email me directly.
For Ty Ford V/O demos, audio services and equipment reviews,
click on http://www.jagunet.com/~tford

LeBaron & Alrich

John L Rice wrote:

I'd put the money into microphones, mic pres, monitors and room treatments
( no particular order ) before worrying about converters too much.

I'll prioritize. Firstly, get the preamp(s), because then at least
whatever is going to storage has a chance. Secondly, get the monitors
because then one might tell if what went into the mic(s) was worth
storing, and maybe also come to understand more about one's recording
and monitoring environment.

If the room's a mess, treat it, and then get some better mics, _if you
need them_.

--
ha
Brian Huether

The chain now is

me - Carvin dc127 guitar-Diezel VH4S guitar tube amp head - Genz Benz G
Flex 2x12 - sm57 and beta57a - Mackie 1402 - delta1010

I don't think the room is well acoustically, but I thought close mic"ing
would negate that to some extent?

-brian

"LeBaron & Alrich" wrote in message
Brian Huether wrote:

This continues my quest to get pro or near pro sounding results in my

home,
recording my guitar.

I am looking to get a Neve 1272 and/or a Great River, and am adding a
Sennheiser md421, a studio projects c1, and possibly a royer r121 to my

mic
collection. The question then, is this: Does anyone seriously believe my

end
results will differ much whether I use an RME Multiface, or an RME ADI 8

DS,
or an Apogess PSX100?

What are you using now? The whole chain, mics through to monitors,
please.

--
ha

Arny Krueger

"Brian Huether" wrote in message

The chain now is

me - Carvin dc127 guitar-Diezel VH4S guitar tube amp head - Genz
Benz G Flex 2x12 - sm57 and beta57a - Mackie 1402 - delta1010

I don't think the room is well acoustically, but I thought close
mic"ing would negate that to some extent?

IME, "to some extent", but rarely "enough".

The degree to which the room I record in, sneaks in to close-miced SM57s &
SM58s always amazes me.

I wonder what popularly-priced vocal/instrumental mics have appreciably
tighter patterns.

John L Rice

"LeBaron & Alrich" wrote in message
.. .
John L Rice wrote:

I'd put the money into microphones, mic pres, monitors and room

treatments
( no particular order ) before worrying about converters too much.

I'll prioritize. Firstly, get the preamp(s), because then at least
whatever is going to storage has a chance. Secondly, get the monitors
because then one might tell if what went into the mic(s) was worth
storing, and maybe also come to understand more about one's recording
and monitoring environment.

If the room's a mess, treat it, and then get some better mics, _if you
need them_.

--
ha

Thanks Hank, I was going to be late for work and . . . . I don't know how I
would prioritize things anyway. I just like . . . tend to get a whole bunch
of stuff and figure it all out later. ( I'm a manufacture's wet dream . . )

John L Rice

Tommy B

I'll buy "Never say never", but do you think that was the intended use of
the designer? No I've never recorded a vocal on the talk-back mic, which I'm
sure has been done, nor have I shoved a mic up my butt and beat my belly,
which I know has been done. Maybe I should have said, "everyday useage".
Tom

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article .net

writes:

Does anyone want to conform that a Neve 1272 was only used as a pre for

the
talk-back mic on Neve desks, and never intended to be used in recording?

Never say "never." People use all sorts of things for recording,
whether they were meant for the purpose or not. Haven't you ever
recorded a lead vocal on the talkback mic?

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

HenryShap

What a waste of a v76

Purple Audio has a vintage all-Tube Telefunken desk for sale that has
a V76
for it's talkback micpre.

Tommy B

The V76 is a good mic-pre, which is why,as someone said, "what a waste"
unless there is a way to use it for more than the talk-back. ;-)
I'm not an expert by any means, but getting a 1272 would seem limiting for
use as an all around mic-pre. That's why I didn't think it was a good
choice.
Tom

"WillStG" wrote in message
"Tommy B"

"WillStG" wrote
Purple Audio has a vintage all-Tube Telefunken desk for sale that

has a
V76
for it's talkback micpre.

That's nice, but it has nothing to do with my question! Your listening to

O'Riley much too much. ;-)

Sure it does Tommy. Just read the comment like a Mix Magazine

review,
read between the lines... Just because it was used as a talkback micpre

doesn't
mean it's crap does it?

.

But ok, Geoff Tanner did say the 1272 was only used by Neve as a line

amp
in mix buss amplification and as a talkback micpre, and that designs that

use
it to build a micpre are other people's designs and not Neve's approach.

But he
also said that up to about 40db of gain the 1272 will sound like a 1073.
However beyond that point the B284 in the 1073 will kick in to add gain so
above 40db they don't sound much alike.

The Telefunken/TAB V672's as universal amps/micpres are generally a

lot
better I think, Class A, discreet, big transformers, a lot more gain, and

some
of them I have racked up as micpres have measured pretty flat from

20Hz-18.5k
when I ran tone through them...

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Off the Morning Show! & sleepin' In... / Fox News

Chris Del Faro

(Ty Ford) wrote in message

It's really a hopeless downward spiral of popverty that one can never really
escape. Turn back before it's too late! (as if you could)

Regards,

Ty Ford

**Until the worm goes away, I have put "not" in front of my email address.
Please remove it if you want to email me directly.
For Ty Ford V/O demos, audio services and equipment reviews,
click on http://www.jagunet.com/~tford

Ty, I like the new coining of the word "popverty". Don't ask MC Hammer
though!
Am planning for a Barbershop show next Spring, which will have a
30's/40's Radio Show theme. We left in the script the unintentional,
"The Martini's have landed", for the "War of the Worlds" spoof
segment. g

Thanks guys for the pro perspective BTW.

Chris

Chris Del Faro

Please excuse the (unintentional) connotation of my last post.
"Pro perspective" is better said to also include others, like Mike
Rivers, et al, who've also contributed to this thread, in addition to
Ty and Kurt.

In any case, wish everyone a great Halloween, and try not to eat TOO
much candy! (what's the scariest DVD under $20 g)

Chris
White Swan

If you are, in fact, getting a ribbon mic, then unless you are getting
the R122 (active) I think the Great River preamp would be a better
choice than the 1272. The impedence switch on the GR should help with
the low output of the ribbon mic.

I use a 1272 all the time, but mostly on close mics on drums, where
getting lots of gain is harldy an issue. It works just fine for that.

Money Maker AL B Car Audio 0 March 10th 04 05:21 PM
Weather-proofing outdoor condenser mics Keith W Blackwell Pro Audio 7 October 31st 03 03:48 PM
FS- Comps, Mics, pres, efx. etc. MHLINE Pro Audio 0 September 6th 03 07:40 PM
MONEY j-mitch Car Audio 1 August 14th 03 08:11 PM
MONEY j-mitch Audio Opinions 0 August 14th 03 07:53 PM