Brian Huether

Default Help w/ star grounding (50Hz hum problem)!

First a recap of my previous post: I have a mackie 1402, and a delta1010.
When the computer is turned on, and a channel insert from the mackie goes to
a delta input, there is a 50Hz hum at the delta input (which is preventing
me from recording!). If I remove the cable from the channel insert (happens
regardless of cables - balanced, unbalanced and happens regardless of
whether or not there is an input connected to the mackie). Sometimes after
an hour or so, this 50Hz hum will go away at the delta input. For more info
as well as pictures showing the delta signal levels and spectral peaks see
this link

www.guitar-dreams.com/misc/deltaproblem.html

Basically there seems to be 2 problems. For a year, I have been plugging my
US delta power adapter into a step down xformer (I am living in Germany).
Now upon powering up the computer, the delta has full scale signal levels
across all channels regrdless if anything is plugged into it (and regardless
of motherboard, etc,etc). I think this 50Hz has caused too much heat to
dissipate in the adapter and things have gone awry. So the ground hum that
occurs when something from the mixer is plugged in to the delta is either a
separate problem or is related to the first problem (again see the above
link for more info).

I have read the FAQ. It wasn't very helpful. I am not a technician and the
stuff in that FAQ seems geared in that way. I am pretty visual, so when the
FAQ starts talking about star grounding I can't see how to physically do it.
I just know what in principle needs to be done. So if somenoe can give a
clearer description or point me to another resource that would be great! I
am a guitarist first and a sound engineer second (i.e. I am my own sound
guy). Give me a guitar and I can work my magic with it, but give me a bunch
of cables and tell me to implement a star ground, well, I am lost...

regards,

brian

www.guitar-dreams.com

Dale Farmer

Brian Huether wrote:

[...]

All star grounding means is that all the ground wires in the system go to
the same common grounding point, and there is only one electrical path to
the common ground point for each piece of gear or cable. This is easier
said than done.

I'd first go and spring for a new local power supply for your computer,
a power supply that will operate on your local 50 hz power. These are
available in computer supply stores, and take only a few minutes with a
screwdriver to replace. Try things again.

--Dale

Brian Huether

My computer power supply does plug into the local power outlet. It is
switchable from 115V to 220V and I am sure internally it is fine with 50 or
60Hz. But do you really think that could be an issue?

-brian

"Dale Farmer" wrote in message

Brian Huether wrote:

[...]

Justin Ulysses Morse

Based on this new description of your problem, I think that your
Delta1010 is broken and needs to be repaired or replaced. If I
understand what you're saying, it's not an interface problem or a
ground problem. It's just broken.

ulysses