Nate

Default word clock and sync distribution

I would like to get some informed opinions concerning the current crop
of house sync and word clock generators. I am building a two room
facility and I want to find boxes that still might be pertinent next
week! I have looked at the Rosendahl pieces, Apogee's Big Ben, dCs
992/995, Lucid's SSG 192.
Romeo Rondeau

What sampling frequency? I'm using a Lucid Genx6 over here with ADATs, a
D8b, RME/Nuendo and some Digimax LT's (I mostly use the converters only, the
preamps are kinda bland) running through a Frontier Apache, the Lucid keeps
all this cheap gear sounding good and I never get a click or a pop. I know
that they also make a 96k version of the Genx6, but I have only used the 48k
version. It seems to be as good as the Aardsync as far as I can tell.

"Nate" wrote in message
m...
I would like to get some informed opinions concerning the current crop
of house sync and word clock generators. I am building a two room
facility and I want to find boxes that still might be pertinent next
week! I have looked at the Rosendahl pieces, Apogee's Big Ben, dCs
992/995, Lucid's SSG 192.

opus

Well,

I'll let the bag out here. I work for Apogee as their technical support/lab
coordinator.

I can tell you the way to go(obviously) is the Big Ben.

Why you ask other than me working for them? Testimonials and facts.

Most people that have gotten the Big Ben have been amazed on how the box has
opened up the sound.
The reason? Definitely not jitter, although the Big Ben is virtually
unmeasurable in the jitter realm.
The reason is the DDS clock circuitry in which provides a very smooth clock
rate. Most clock boxes out
there provide a decent clock but their clocks tend to be very rampant in
terms of the smoothness and shape.
The Big Ben has a "Bell" shaped curve(Thus the name Big Ben as the bell
inside the tower is Big Ben)
which provides a very smooth transitional clock. This smooth clock provides
other gear with the necessary
shape to clean up the signals going in and out of the devices.

Not only that but the Big Ben has 6 outputs(Two configurable for 256x clock,
2x clock, /2 clock)
Two AES outputs, SPDIF and Optical outputs. Also Big Ben can do real time
format conversion
so that any digital signals going to external digital gear can be cleaned up
as well.

There are many features to the clock box that are very useful as well. VSO
mode as well as pull up and
pull down settings.

If you have any questions at all please let us know.

Regards,
Gary Brenner
Apogee Digital
Technical Support

Tel: 310.915.1000 ext. 16
Fax: 310.915.7420

Apogee Electronics Corporation
3145 Donald Douglas Loop South
Santa Monica, CA 90405-3210
U.S.A

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article

writes:

I would like to get some informed opinions concerning the current crop
of house sync and word clock generators. I am building a two room
facility and I want to find boxes that still might be pertinent next
week! I have looked at the Rosendahl pieces, Apogee's Big Ben, dCs
992/995, Lucid's SSG 192.

So what opinions would you like? You've looked at the major players
(Drawmer has a pretty neat one, too), and they all have different
features. You're not likely to get any consistent opinions on which
one makes your system sound better, but you should be aware of
differences as to what kinds of clock signals they generate (relative
to what you need) and what they can take for sources if you need to
sync everything else to one unit.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )