DaveDrummer

Default That 'led zeppelin' sound

What types of mics, what was the setup, and how did Led Zeppelin get such a
powerful sound? I understand their micing was very basic. yet the sound is
just amazing to me. thanks

Dave

LeBaron & Alrich

DaveDrummer wrote:

What types of mics, what was the setup, and how did Led Zeppelin get such a
powerful sound? I understand their micing was very basic. yet the sound is
just amazing to me. thanks

Google Advanced Groups Search:

http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search

Been laid out bigly here several times. Good stuff, too.

--
ha

WillStG

What types of mics, what was the setup, and how did Led Zeppelin get such a

powerful sound? I understand their micing was very basic. yet the sound is just
amazing to me. thanks

There were several engineers who recorded Bonham. Here's one of my
favorites, Glyn Johns.

http://www.danalexanderaudio.com/glynjohns.htm

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Off the Morning Show! & sleepin' In... / Fox News

Om_Audio

I heard one classic sound was a Telecaster through a really small Fender
tube amp in a big ass room with lots of mics- close- behind- far- etc.- and
got this huge sound- no LP- no Marshall- hehe- gotta love the spirit of
creative experimentation in this buisness- gives me hope and inspiration
regularly.

Om

"DaveDrummer" wrote in message
What types of mics, what was the setup, and how did Led Zeppelin get such

powerful sound? I understand their micing was very basic. yet the sound is
just amazing to me. thanks

Dave

Fletcher

DaveDrummer wrote:

What types of mics, what was the setup, and how did Led Zeppelin get such a
powerful sound? I understand their micing was very basic. yet the sound is
just amazing to me. thanks

The mics were like 2x U-67's and an AKG D-20 or 25 or 30 if I remember the
legends correctly... but it matters not. The mics were the least of the
process... the rooms played a huge factor, the tuning of the drums [kind of
"jazz" tunings] were even more important but all of these factors still pale in
comparison to the most major factor of the LZ drum sound: John Bonham.

Yeah, it's not too tough to put some slap on the snare... it's not too tough to
tune the drums right... it's definitely a walk in the park to book a good
sounding room and throw up some microphones... but unless you have some
mother****er of an operator... one that can sit in the pocket while doing ****
like laying down a 'second line' groove with the foot while fitting the snare
in on the back edge of the beat while staying perfectly in time with snare
slap... you're screwed.
--
Fletcher
Mercenary Audio

Fill X

the tele through the supro thunderbolt was the first album I believe. Mic
selection varied according to engineer.

P h i l i p

______________________________

"I'm too ****ing busy and vice-versa"

- Dorothy Parker

Higgs

"DaveDrummer" wrote in message ...
What types of mics, what was the setup, and how did Led Zeppelin get such a
powerful sound? I understand their micing was very basic. yet the sound is
just amazing to me. thanks

Dave

Maybe this will help.

http://www.uaudio.com/andyjohns/index.html

-Higgs

LeBaron & Alrich

Higgs wrote:

"DaveDrummer" wrote:

What types of mics, what was the setup, and how did Led Zeppelin get such a
powerful sound? I understand their micing was very basic. yet the sound is
just amazing to me. thanks

Maybe this will help.

http://www.uaudio.com/andyjohns/index.html

But will it tell me where I can rent that drummer? g

--
ha

david

In article , LeBaron &
Alrich wrote:

Higgs wrote:

"DaveDrummer" wrote:

What types of mics, what was the setup, and how did Led Zeppelin get such
powerful sound? I understand their micing was very basic. yet the sound is
just amazing to me. thanks

Maybe this will help.

http://www.uaudio.com/andyjohns/index.html

But will it tell me where I can rent that drummer? g

Today I think the question would be "what plug-in gets that sound?"

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

www.CelebrationSound.com

david wrote in message ...

Today I think the question would be "what plug-in gets that sound?"

It's funny how on an audio newsgroup dedicated to production
techniques, gear, etc., the obvious fact of the talent needs to be
pointed out. Whereas, on a fan site they'd just be talking about how
cool the parts are, rather than what mic was on the bass drum. Not
that I don't want to know but sheesh, if you had half that talent
playing in your room, you could put up just about any mics and it'd
sound good. It's a shoo-in.

Tom

Ken/Eleven Shadows

I've heard some bootlegs of Led Zeppelin in the studio for the
Physical Graffiti sessions. You can hear them running through songs
such as "In My Time of Dying" and others. Through it all, they sound
great. I don't know what it was recorded on exactly, but it sounds
like it's simply a microphone in the room. Bonham *still* sounds
great. So much of it was obviously about the players, the songs, the
arrangements, the finesse, everything. It is interesting to know what
was used to record these guys, but if you put up the exact same mics
around the exact same equipment but had four different guys playing
it, it just wouldn't sound like them.